Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

DE:HR - Alpha Protocol in First person with augs in future.

racofer

Thread Incliner
"And the Codex of Light once said we would look back and see that our once sworn nemesis would be considered one of our own amidst the hordes of Retardo, for Oblivion despite all its sins and devilish taint was true to its nature and never attempted to drive us away from our path with misleading, false promises of salvation.

The Quest Compass of Doom was never a tool of destruction in its hands. We were mislead by our own short sightedness and condemned that harmless creature into the depths of Retardo Land. Little did we know, but the fallen Developlords, aways scheming for ways out of their rotten lair, usurped the Compass and twisted it further than anyone could have ever foreseen.

Now we reside in a time of darkness like never before, where the Compass is used as a tool to indoctrinate our youth and narrow their perception of reality. The Developlords have defeated us at our own game with their sorcery and damned our future generations, binding their souls to the Fields of the Popping Moles.

Master Chris Avellone shows us mercy..."

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
Stabwound said:
Guess what, the object highlighting is NOT optional:

http://www.tweetdeck.com/twitter/DavidAnfossi/~1Jjy3

Translation: 'No, it's part of the game's experience. It stands out more in the videos than while playing the game. Believe me, it is not as annoying as what it appears. No complaints received from the +100 playtesters who played the game.'"

I am astounded by this fuckery. Between this and Dragon Age 2 I am convinced that developers have no clue what they're doing anymore. I hope this gets lambasted just as badly as DA2 is.
Oh that's retarded.

God damn, from all of their interviews prior to this I was half expecting the game to be decent. This is probably the sharpest fall my opinion of a game has ever taken in a single 5 minute period.

deuxhero

Arcane
Mastermind said:
ghostdog said:
Oh god, the highlighted objects are completely retarded and the UI is way too intrusive and all over the screen, is this how they claim they achieve "immershun" ?

And say hello to the BUTTON OF AWESOME™. You know it --you LOVE it-- from DAII. It's here to stay, people !

One-click takedowns from far away ! You click (X) and you see the AWESOME™ movie of :
-Jensen walking around the corner...
-sneaking up to the target and...
-taking him down with an AWESOME™ move.

You don't actually do any of that mundane stuff, streamlining at its best !

:thumbsup:

Console controllers have a very limited number of buttons. It's just a way of allowing the player to do more things than they would be able to otherwise.

Been playing MGS3 lately, and I can safely say it's just lame devs unable to work around it.

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Jools said:
Why is everything yellow? Yellow HUD, yellow lamps, yellow highlights, yellow street-lines... Even crates are vaguely yellow-hued.

Didn't you hear? 2008 is over. Yellow is the new brown!

Dr.Faust

Liturgist
deuxhero said:
Mastermind said:
ghostdog said:
Oh god, the highlighted objects are completely retarded and the UI is way too intrusive and all over the screen, is this how they claim they achieve "immershun" ?

And say hello to the BUTTON OF AWESOME™. You know it --you LOVE it-- from DAII. It's here to stay, people !

One-click takedowns from far away ! You click (X) and you see the AWESOME™ movie of :
-Jensen walking around the corner...
-sneaking up to the target and...
-taking him down with an AWESOME™ move.

You don't actually do any of that mundane stuff, streamlining at its best !

:thumbsup:

Console controllers have a very limited number of buttons. It's just a way of allowing the player to do more things than they would be able to otherwise.

Been playing MGS3 lately, and I can safely say it's just lame devs unable to work around it.

Well if you do it the fun way, like in MGS4, all you get is bitching from born and bred constoletards without the superior PC-dexterity. "I have to press four buttons simultaniously, it's too hard, wah wah wah"

LordDenton

Augur
Big Nick Digger said:
The enemy AI is consistent with the original Deus Ex :thumbsup:
If only...

And :lol: at the inability to disable object highlighting. How the hell does that "add to the experience"?

7hm

Scholar
I like the youtube comment:

"Combat" playstyle: Take down the guard with your sword in a canned animation.

"Stealth" playstyle: Take down the guard with your hands in a canned animation.

So disappointing.

Also I guess I don't play enough FPSs. I hate cover systems and think they look retarded.

Also the larping in the video: "lets hide him more carefully this time, just for fun"... what fun I am having pretending to be a secrat agent!

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Overweight Manatee said:
God damn, from all of their interviews prior to this I was half expecting the game to be decent. This is probably the sharpest fall my opinion of a game has ever taken in a single 5 minute period.

This. :/ Why the fuck can't you turn the highlighting off? Was it so hard to implement a toggle or something?

Stasgard

Liturgist
Well, shit. It's been over a year of lurking here, and I was certain there wasn't gonna be anything this god damned stupid that would inspire me to post, but fuck it.

I think I could of copped any stupid decision after Invisible War, but highlighted objects? Seriously? It's like they sat down in a board meeting to decide how best to fucking ruin what was arguably the best part of Deus Ex.

"when you explore you can discover many alternate paths"

No bitch, everything is highlighted so there's nothing to discover.

Youtube Poster sums it all up perfectly. Damn it all to hell.

zeitgeist

Magister
I've seen a lot of posters on other boards saying things along the lines of "highlighting was in DX too". Here's a screenshot just to remind everyone what it looked like (ignore the horrible quality due to resizing please):

24qvk89.jpg

In the first screenshot, you can see that nothing is highlighted even though I'm very close to the boxes and the troopers. In the second screenshot, I had to move the cursor closer to the center of the box to get the "highlighting" effect to appear. Furthermore, the "highlighting" effect is an obvious part of the GUI and doesn't intrude upon the gameworld. It is also very subtle, and meshes well with the crosshair element.

Compare this to the Human Revolution video, where multiple items are getting highlighted from much farther away. This, functionally, is not the same GUI element as in DX. It is in fact an addition to the DX-style highlighting (a pop-up with the name/stats/etc of the item), which is also present in HR, and it appears only when you get close enough to interact with the item (similar to DX). So we're actually talking about two separate GUI elements, only one of which is mutual to both DX and HR.

chzr

Scholar
'3 completely different ways'

- go straight and kill everything in front of you
- use an obstacle 2 meters away to sneak around enemies
- make another completely different way by moving glowing box next to another larger box

:M

SoupNazi

Other than the retarded glow, it looks like a potentially enjoyable game. Not a new Deus Ex of course, but one of the better FPS games available.

Data4

Arcane
So "tyrrany of choice" has given way to "illusion of choice".

Fuck it, I'll still play it. Won't be a day-one though. User reviews will determine whether I pick a retail version or ...ah... "extended demo".

Visbhume

Prophet
Highlighting is a good idea. Until the blissful day when we can expect to meaningfully interact with each and every object present in a game's environment, highlighting avoids the whole "gee, let's see if this gizmo is actually usable and not another part of the Potekmin village" trial-and-error boredom . I used the analogous feature in Baldur's Gate all the time.

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Warehouses were one of the first common level designs we had in FPS games (namely, Quake 2), when graphics advanced to the point of portraying structures beyond abstract.

Crates were easy on polygons, and warehouses allowed for simpler designs.

So, they could be forgiven for a while.

But, in 2011, using a crate-filled warehouse as a showcase for your super-duper-AAA-mind-blowing-game is a bit... :retarded:

Radisshu

Prophet
The highlighted objects thing looks idiotic, the third person view is offputting, and the takedowns are fucking stupid. No locational damage is fucked up. The game could still be good, though, provided the level design is consistently open-ended.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom