Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Are RPGs Evolving or Dying?

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
<p>Gamerant are ranting about the evolving/dying RPG genre, asking themselves: <a href="http://gamerant.com/skyrim-dragon-age-2-mass-effect-3-rpgs-dying-dyce-68478/" target="_blank"><em>does the genre have any hope of surviving</em></a> ?</p>
<blockquote>
<p>What this means for franchises like Mass Effect, Dragon Age, and now The Elder Scrolls is that the complex and intricate gameplay mechanics that have defined the genre are being tossed aside in favor of a more &ldquo;user-friendly&rdquo; approach.

We here at Game Rant aren&rsquo;t against progression or evolution of gameplay, and we have little interest in debating whether the changes will result in a &lsquo;better&rsquo; game.

Instead, we&rsquo;re wondering what this means for the modern RPG, and whether it has a chance of existing in its current form, or will inevitably be twisted into something that no longer possesses the qualities that defined the genre.</p>
</blockquote>
<p>How many RPGs are being released which still possess the <em>qualities that defined the genre</em>? There you have your answer.</p>

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
VentilatorOfDoom said:
How many RPGs are being released which still possess the qualities that defined the genre?

Compared to the past? So few that it's more than obvious that the genre is dying out.

Norfleet

The answer: Both. They are both evolving, and still dying. They are evolving towards some kind of local maximum fitness, but over time this fitness will still decline towards zero, resulting in ultimate extinction in the long run.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
I believe RPGs are going the same road that Adventure games went. We used to have great games as Monkey Island, Full Throttle, Gabriel Knight, Grim Fandango, Broken Sword, etc...but then they started to become "action-adventure", like the HORRIBLE King's Quest: Mask of Eternity....and it was all downhill from there. Now they sell Prince of Persia as "adventure-games".

Some could say Bioware is the new Lucasarts. :cry:

On related news, I would say RTS genre have managed to survive really well the "downfall of Pc Gaming", although we lost Age of Empires to Facebook and had that Halo: Wars shit going on...

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
As mainstream AAA titles? They're not dying, they're dead. We're being sold lifeless corpes at inflated prices.

As low-budget indie titles? They're doing fine. Eschalon wouldn't be heading into its second sequel if it wasn't returning a profit... would it?

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Risen, The Witcher, Age of Decadence, Eschalon, Fallout New Vegas,Mysteries of Westgate, Mask of the Betrayer...

Hater's gonna hate them though.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
Konjad said:
Risen, The Witcher, Age of Decadence, Eschalon, Fallout New Vegas,Mysteries of Westgate, Mask of the Betrayer...

Those are such a minority that pretending that they are a representation of the genre growing is intellectually dishonest and you fucking know it.

rpg-7.jpg

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
felipepepe said:
On related news, I would say RTS genre have managed to survive really well the "downfall of Pc Gaming",
It has something to do with RTS genre being a part of the downfall.

Raapys

Arcane
They're not really evolving. The indie-RPG titles are still pretty much following the footsteps of your RPGs of old, and triple-A RPGs aren't being made anymore, i.e. they're already dead. All the high-budget titles are first and foremost action games with some light RPG-elements sprinkled on top.

Arcanoix

Scholar
Konjad said:

Risen - Shitty.

Witcher - Click, click, click, sex, click, click, click, sex.

AoD - Vaporware.

Eschalon - What?

FO:NV - INCLINE.

MoW - Pretty good mod, could have used much more marketing. Maybe make it an expansion?

MoTB - Awesome pickup to a shitty story. (the OC)

circ

Arcane
felipepepe said:
I believe RPGs are going the same road that Adventure games went. We used to have great games as Monkey Island, Full Throttle, Gabriel Knight, Grim Fandango, Broken Sword, etc...but then they started to become "action-adventure", like the HORRIBLE King's Quest: Mask of Eternity....and it was all downhill from there. Now they sell Prince of Persia as "adventure-games".

Some could say Bioware is the new Lucasarts. :cry:

On related news, I would say RTS genre have managed to survive really well the "downfall of Pc Gaming", although we lost Age of Empires to Facebook and had that Halo: Wars shit going on...
The heydays of any innovative gaming is long dead, including RTS's. There are like two remaining RTS developers, Relic and Blizzard, and Blizzard just keeps doing sequels with very little innovation. Then there's C&C, but EA killed that. It has nothing interesting in it anymore, though I liked C&C Generals. And MS killed whatever the AOE studio was called. As for Relic, well, Retribution was fun, and had more new features than DA 2, even though the release cycles were pretty much the same, and it's a fucking standalone addon, unlike DA 2, which shouldn't be even called that, but a DLC. But Retribution's heavily geared towards MP, so.

Anyway, back to DA 2. Rogues were severely dumbed down in DA:O, and even further in DA 2. Now they're just DPS machines. DA 3 will probably drop lock picking too finally, who needs it, rogues are dual wielding ninjas with huge daggers!

easychord

Liturgist
Why give any credit to this whole "evolving" thing at all. It's just the latest marketing buzz word that they use to make dumbing down and going down-market to less sophisticated customers sound smart and sexy. People realised that streamlining meant the same thing so they just picked a new word.

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Arcanoix said:
Konjad said:

Risen - Shitty.

No, not really.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Well, if we're technical about it, RPG's are evolving. They're changing over time, from generation to generation into something completely different from the original "organism". Evolving into what is the more important question.

Just like Adventure today means Tomb Raider or Prince of Persia :roll: , RPG is starting to mean "press A to execute totally awesome move and make blood splatter, and decide between the 2 weapons in your inventory with which to do it".

Dr.Faust

Liturgist
Arcanoix said:
Risen - Shitty.

AoD - Vaporware.

Eschalon - What?

Your opinions on RPGs mean jack shit if you don't know what the Eschalon books are. Especially since the opinions are so wrong.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Two observations:

1) King's Quest and Ultima required graph paper?

2) To point out the obvious -- even the franchises he names have already 'evolved' into hybrids.

And people here are still arguing Witcher is an RPG? It's a hybrid at best.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Awor Szurkrarz said:
felipepepe said:
On related news, I would say RTS genre have managed to survive really well the "downfall of Pc Gaming",
RTS = Real Time Strategy (Starcraft, Age of Empires, Command & Conquer, etc).

Don't tell me you believed that something like "Real Time Shooter genre" was more than a retarded journalist trying to get his review on the cover of a game...

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
felipepepe said:
Awor Szurkrarz said:
felipepepe said:
Yes, that's precisely what I'm talking about.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Awor Szurkrarz said:
felipepepe said:
Awor Szurkrarz said:
felipepepe said:
Yes, that's precisely what I'm talking about.
Now I'm curious. Whats your point?

hoverdog

dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive
Developer
Project: Eternity
Dr.Faust said:
Arcanoix said:
Risen - Shitty.

AoD - Vaporware.

Eschalon - What?

Your opinions on RPGs mean jack shit if you don't know what the Eschalon books are. Especially since the opinions are so wrong.
come on, eschalon was like a roguelike with better graphics and a (generic) story but without all the things that make roguelikes playable. atrocious, atrocious game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom