Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Going to finally lose my Planescape: Torment virginity.

Which class might I like more?

• Rogue

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mage

Votes: 2 100.0%

• Total voters

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
I'm going to buy PS:T later this weekend off of GoG and start playing. I know very little of the plot and haven't spoiled anything for myself. I don't like fighters and I heard the other choices are mage and thief. I'm leaning more towards being a thief: which would I like more? What patches/mods are recommended for a first timer playing this game?

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Mage is the standard response but there are a surprising number of hidden things you only realize when approaching them as a rogue (not so much things that you can do with rogue abilities, but dialog ofcourse).

Just take it easy. This is a game you will replay. On about your 3rd or 4th replay there is the chance you'll have seem everything.

You can change whenever you want too, it's not a dictatorship.

In fact the earliest approach to become a mage/thief (though the awesomest) closes down some other later interesting approaches, so the game kept surprising me on the 4 and 5 replay.

Raapys

Arcane
Sort of biased since I really like mages and haven't actually tried playing thief in the game. So yeah, I'd go with mage. Some really neat and powerful spells in the game, ridiculous spell animations/FMVs, etc. Can't really see thief being all that interesting.

DriacKin

Arbiter
Its a shame that it essentially forces you to be a fighter for the first quarter of the game.

DriacKin

Arbiter
Its a shame that it essentially forces you to be a fighter for the first quarter of the game.

Dr.Faust

Liturgist
Mage is what I'd recommend. At least for the first playthrough. Mainly because you want to boost your willpower, charisma and intelligence for the maximum amount of awesome dialogue and stat bonuses from it. Plus the powerful spells make the not-so-good combat tolerably easy.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
DriacKin said:

Not really. You can be a mage/thief when you get out of the mortuary, doing some mini-quests.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
DragoFireheart said:
I'm going to buy PS:T later this weekend off of GoG and start playing. I know very little of the plot and haven't spoiled anything for myself. I don't like fighters and I heard the other choices are mage and thief. I'm leaning more towards being a thief: which would I like more? What patches/mods are recommended for a first timer playing this game?

The mage is the best choice really, but you can play with any class you want. There's no multiclassing in this game, you can actually switch over to each class at will. The only problem is XP, but if you are anal enough you can make enough under-sigil runs to level up all three classes to a sufficient degree where you can say you have explored each game style sufficiently. The only caveat is that you get special bonuses when you get to level 7 and 12 with a given class, but only the first time you get there. So if you get the thief bonus you will not get the fighter or the wizard bonus. Also, you only get the second bonus if you got the first bonus in the same class. So if you get the level 7 fighter bonus and then reach level 12 with a mage, you will only get the level 7 mage bonus, which is less then the level 12 mage bonus. So if you get to level 7 with a certain class, its best to reach level 12 with the same class. Here's a list of what you get with each class:

Fighter:

7th + 1 STR, able to have 4 proficiency in a weapon
12th + 1 STR, + 1 CON, + 3 HP, able to have 5 proficiency

Mage:

7th + 1 INT
12th + 2 INT, + 1 WIS, + 5 Lore

Thief:

7th + 1 DEX
12th + 2 DEX, + 1 Luck

You will also get special tatoos if you reach those levels with a certain class. And here's the total bonus points you get in the game for each stat:

Strength +4
Dexterity +1
Constitution +3
Intelligence +2
Wisdom +7
Charisma +3
AC +1
MaxHP +7

Not including the bonus class points. You also get an extra two points to a stat of choice by means of a special scroll.

Personally though, i wouldn't even worry about what class to play. The important thing is to raise your stats according to what gives you the most dialog choices. With that in mind, i would personally do the following:

STR 9, DEX 13, CON 9, INT 14, WIS 17, CHA 13.

The most important stat in the game is wisdom, but you get a total of seven bonus wisdom points through out the game (eight if you get the mage bonus). This means that if you start with 17 and then get the mage bonus you'll be 25 (which is the maximum) by the end of the game. You'll get the last three points very late, but if you are one of those people who like to design their class progression to perfection you may not want to go over 17 or 18 (you can also raise it with tatoos without wasting bonus points).

Other then that, you need at least 15 points of int, i think (i'm sure no higher then 17 points, at the most), and as high as 17 points of charisma to unlock all dialog options (you can raise charisma with tatoos or the friend spell though but the 17 stat check occurs very early so its best start with some points in charisma). 13 points of dex are also required to unlock a few extra dialog options. As far as i know, strength only influences your ability to intimidate people, while constitution doesn't have any effect on dialog.

Remember of course that you get a stat point every time you level. There's also a bug (or at least we assume its a bug, it may be by design) which allows you to keep your fighter proficiencies when you switch over to a different class. What you can do then is level as a fighter until level twelve, get the five proficiency points in your favored weapon (edged weapons are the best), and then switch over to your class of choice. Since you can distribute stat points at will as you level up, it doesn't really matter which bonus you get, either fighter, rogue or mage, as long as you get both bonuses with the same class. And you can still offset special tatoos with stat points. Thus, the most powergaming set up is to level up to level twelve as a fighter, switch to a mage and use your bonus stat points to pump your stats as you see fit.

BTW, the most broken combat stat is constitution. At high levels, you're regeneration rate will be so high you will probably never die, even as a mage.

Needles

Scholar
Pretty much depends on the number of playthroughs you're planning.

1st: Fighter or Rogue for :smug:

2nd: Mage with high int/wis for :love:

If you wanna get all the good stuff right away, go mage.

taplonaplo

Scholar
If you are not using the qwinn's fixpack, go for a mage for that THAC0 is broken and you are essentially a fighter/mage. If you have fixpack thief could be pretty good (luck is probably the best stat at this game and thiefs can get the most of it). Story wise, you probably get the biggest bang for your buck with a mage, but i think the game warrants at lest 2 playthroughs so no need to rush with it. But up to level 6 it's probably a good idea to go with a fighter either way, coz some extra HP won't hurt.

LS wrote a bunch of +stats, chances are you won't find em all on your first run, so you should just ignore that part and build your character the way you like. +2 stat tattoos are available early on (if you have the money), so planning your character out early is unnecessary.

If you're going with the mage option make a beeline to Mebbeth's hut in Ragpicker's Square to become one early on as if you level as a fighter, which you will if you do any quests before becoming a mage, you'll have to level up as a mage to your fighter level before you gain access to the mage's abilities. Also don't join the Dustmen straight away as you won't be able to join the other fations later in the game. If you pick the Anarchists, you'll be able to falsely join the other factions so you'll be getting more bang for your buck in terms of seeing more in one playthrough.

Mantiis

Cipher
Please please please ignore everyone in this thread, close it down and do not look at it again until AFTER your first run through. Seriously, just don't look at anymore posts - you only get to play it for the first time once. Do so. Do not listen to anyone on what you should or should not be doing - that comes with round 2 and 3 playthroughs.

Ignore this thread, buy the game, install the mods and sit back and relax. Enjoy yourself and see where the winds take you. Once you are done with your first play through feel free to read this thread.

That is the most valuable advice I can give.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
Play it the way you want the first time, then ask again when you plan to replay. Then we can advise you how to get more of it.

20 Eyes

Liturgist
I went the road less traveled and went fighter.

TNO just felt like a fighter to me, he's built like a fucking tank.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Well, there are a couple of things i wished i knew before playing the game:

Like the fact you can't avoid exterminating all the zombies in the Drowned Nations without a charisma of 17. That always bugged me

But really, i suppose it really is best to just plunge in the game without mulling over the perfect build, because if there is one thing you don't want to do is restart the game just to get it right down to the last stat point (which i always do in those games, and end up spoiling the experience). Just make sure your wisdom is high enough and you ought to be good to go.

One thing that's important, KEEP HOLD OF THE BRONZE SPHERE, they really don't let on how crucial to the plot it actully is.

z3r'0'

Liturgist
Voted Mage , but like posted before ;
its not that big a deal for your first playthrough. As you can basically switch classes on the fly.
Just remember the class bonuses at seventh and twelfth level. As you only get them once.

I remember I played till sixth level as fighter for the weapon bonuses. Then played as mage the rest of the game. So kind of like a fighter/mage.

Have fun.

Mantiis

Cipher
Satori said:
One thing that's important, KEEP HOLD OF THE BRONZE SPHERE, they really don't let on how crucial to the plot it actully is.
This is one of the many reasons why you should ignore this thread entirely until after your first playthrough.

z3r'0'

Liturgist
Mantiis said:
Satori said:
This is one of the many reasons why you should ignore this thread entirely until after your first playthrough.
This.

This is one game you don't want to spoil for yourself by reading some random comment.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom