Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RPGs set entirely in urban environments? (inb4 DA2)

circ

Arcane
Anyway, city RPG's. If you don't mind really old stuff, where it might as well be a rogue like graphically, Mines of Titan isn't that bad. Mostly city in the beginning, later Mars landscape. On PC too. Centauri Alliance, a better game. Mostly in cities across several planets, though the cities are pretty barren, with a shopkeeper here and there just about. Don't think there was a PC version, just Apple II maybe.

Circuit's Edge, slightly more graphical. Mostly city I seem to remember. And where I got my nick and its early iterations from originally.

Jaz

Educated
Kitako said:
Honor Among Thieves, mod for NWN.

http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=Mo ... 93&id=3627

100% inside a city, very enjoyable adventure if you like rogue style (is all centered around rogueish abilities)

speaking of NWN mods, try almraiven:

http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=mo ... il&id=5007

a very popular questmod which entirely takes place in huge city filled with a buttload of quests to do and interesting mysteries to solve. absolutely outstanding in any way.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Trash said:
Keef the Thief is a rather fun (and hellishly difficult as is the norm for older games like it) mix of an adventure and rpg in which you try to become the biggest thief in a city.
The Boy and his Lockpick. I remember this funny game. Not getting too far in it, though. Also I remember giant jungle around the city.

Bloodnet is awesome game. You definitely should check it.

mondblut

Arcane
SCO said:
I remember reading about a old rpg game where you could conquer cities. Help me out guys.

Unless you imply strategy hybrids, must be Disciples of Steel.

That, or JA2 and 7.62 ;)

OP: Ishar 3 is set almost exclusively in a city. But it's not a storyfag game. Oh, and lest we forget the original Bard's Tale :smug:

circ said:
Circuit's Edge, slightly more graphical. Mostly city I seem to remember. And where I got my nick and its early iterations from originally.

Wow... that takes me back. I should dig up that game and play it again. That, and the original Neuromancer game, which is more an Adventure game... but the Cyberspace sections were pretty much RPG only. They just don't make enough good cyberpunk games anymore. At least not any that aren't overly hi-tech with magical nano-machines or hybrid fantasies like Shadowrun.

Wintermute

Augur
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Lionheart. The city of Barcelona at the beginning of the game was pretty cool. Be sure to quit immediately after it though, because that's what the developers did. :smug:

ecliptic

Liturgist
Are you thinking of Disciples of Steel? I think you had to win cities in that one.

Dyspaire

Cipher
Trash said:
Omikron: The Nomad Soul is a rather wierd adventure which plays out entirely in a city. It's not an rpg but it does let you 'reincarnate' into lots of npc's. It's wierd.

This game is really quite amazing. Scratch that, it's ambition was amazing. To say a computer game is/was a decade ahead of it's time is really saying something, and I would definitely say that about Omikron.

I still boot it up from time-to-time just to watch the opening credits, and listen to that pretty-damn-good original Bowie song that plays over top of them. It's still a pretty breath-taking sequence, let alone the fact that Omikron came out 1999.

If you can forgive the somewhat clunky controls (there are much worse out there, just takes some getting used to.) I highly recommend everyone try this game at least once.

Seriously. A decade ahead of its time.

Not a true 'crpg' though. More a hybrid game like GTA where there seems to be a little bit of every kind of gameplay.

2c

Edit: Adding link to aforementioned opening sequence.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HDHJoaE ... re=related

Absolutely incredible for 1999.

20 Eyes

Liturgist
Dyspaire said:

Wow, I didn't know David Bowie was involved in a game. It seems he helped with more than the music:

David Bowie said:
GC: You've worked in nearly every creative medium: film, music, and now video games. How was this experience different from your previous creative endeavors?

DB: I think it surprised some people in your industry that this actually was a creative endeavor. It became clear early on that this was not an exercise in licensing or marketing, but in fact Eidos and Quantic Dream wanted a creative input. We worked together for weeks on the design of my characters, Reeves's man-machine "meld" and Gail's hoofed 'n' horned demon. The actual logic behind the Dreamers concert performances, and the way in which they are seen to be receiving "visions in song and dance" from Earth, was all resolved in these long brainstorming sessions. The level of collaboration on this project was as intense and fulfilling as any project...I've worked on previously. I can quite categorically state, though, that I have never, in any of my previous creative endeavors, been asked to design a puzzle before!

I'll take 20. I'm off to acquire this game. Thanks for the tip, everyone that mentioned it.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
ecliptic said:
Are you thinking of Disciples of Steel? I think you had to win cities in that one.
You can win cities, but you really don't need this to win game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom