Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RPGCodex list of most enjoyable games

Reject_666_6

Arcane
1. Deus Ex
Replayable to infinity and looks better every year.

2. Jagged Alliance 2
Most fun combat ever. Also replayable to infinity.

3. HoMM3
Never loses its charm.

4. Arcanum
One of the few RPGs I replayed for the gameplay.

5. Warcraft 3
MODS MODS MODS

6. Serious Sam
Intense at times, very intense at others.

7. Pokemon
It's why I keep playing every rehash they release.

circ

Arcane
In no particular order.

Jagged Alliance 2
Portal (not the Valve shit)
Deuteros
A Mind Forever Voyaging
SMAC
Lode Runner
Pirates! (new one wasn't so bad, but too much Disney and ugly top tier women brought it down)
MoO 1 (no not 2)
Sundog
Colonization
Space Taxi
Chrono Trigger
Alien 3 (SNES version)
Elevator Action (1, though 2 is fun too)
Planetfall
Starflight II
Dune (not 2)
People's General

Sgizo

Educated
1. SMAC
2. Fallout
3. Counterstrike 1.6
4. Stalker series
5. Rome - Total War (with mods)
6. Space Rangers 2
7. UFO: Enemy Unknown

And honourable mention: Roller Coaster Tycoon

Pelvis Knot

Cipher
root said:
so when's this being compiled, djinn bro?

I'm about to count votes up to page 7, link is in my sig.

I'll close the voting next Sunday if interest wanes again. If not, I'll prolong it as long as there is at least a few votes a day...

XLS here

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I can't decide. Fuck it, i'm going to bore you with some descriptions that you all already know:

Thief 2 - though thief 1 is better, thief 2 inherited and expanded on the modding community, that continues to this very day with very large and complex maps. I love the gameplay here. Ghosting is a nerve-wracking, extremely difficult gameplay. You'll only master thief after years, and then you can play the dark mod, that is harder.

Qfg 4 : the whole series is great (and you can import chars, eat shit mass effect), but this is considered the best. This is a fascinating adventure/rpg hybrid. You're not a pc gamer if you never played these at least twice, trying the different solutions.

Ultima 7 pt2 with Silver Seed : A wondrous accomplishment. So many places to explore in the wildness. The map isn't so big at first look, but every mountain, and many unreachable seas were actually used as space for dungeons. This is like a 2d gothic.

Jagged Alliance 2 : best TB squad game there is, and a quite capable little rpg lite.

Deus Ex : I put on my trenchcoat. I hear mortars in the night. I've actually completed this RT rpg/shooter without killing a single person - except indirectly in a scripted sequence. Yes, that is the kind of game it is.

MoO1 : the most additive game ever made. Utter simplicity with surprising depth. Don't be seduced by MoO2 (that is also a good game). MoO1 has the superior model.

Lost Eden: This is technically a bad game. In fact, i was unsure weather to replace this by Dune 1 that has the same appeal/merit to me, but many less flaws. But Lost Eden has that characteristic i value a little bit more, so i went with it.
Simply, both of these games have hypnotic music. Increases immersion by 300% no kidding. Same composer too. A similar effect is found on one music on bloodlines (only one, otherwise it would be here). That music is the hollywood theme.

Honorable mention (one of many i could list, but this was displaced by moo1)
Cave story : one dude alone did the best platformer of the 2000's and released it for free on the net. This is that game. Don't be deceived by the starting cave, this is like metroid on steroids. Speaking of metroid, there is a super method hack you should try if you're a pro at it: super metroid redesigned.

meeneque

Liturgist
Codex 2013 Wasteland 2
1. Patrician 3
2. Knight Lore
3. Dwarf Fortress
4. Duke Nukem 3D
5. Championship Manager 00/01
6. Morrowind
7. The Settlers

edit: you have double entry for DeusEx on your xls, also you can merge OpenTTD with Transport Tycoon Deluxe as it is basically same game (OpenTTD is just extended TTD)

Wolfus

Arcane
Ambermoon
Silent Hill 2
Shadows over Riva
Waxworks
VtM: Bloodlines
Heroes 3
Fallout 2

Deleted member 7219

1. Half-Life 2 (plus episodes)
2. Star Wars: TIE Fighter (Collector's CD edition)
3. The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind (GOTY)
4. Fallout: New Vegas
5. Star Wars: Jedi Knight - Dark Forces II
6. Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
7. Grand Theft Auto: Vice City
8. Age of Mythology
9. Neverwinter Nights 2 & Mask of the Betrayer
10. Hitman: Blood Money

Pelvis Knot

Cipher
meeneque said:
edit: you have double entry for DeusEx on your xls, also you can merge OpenTTD with Transport Tycoon Deluxe as it is basically same game (OpenTTD is just extended TTD)

There are other duplicates/errors probably, will clean it up in the last count. Thanks for the OpenTTD hint though.

mangsy

Educated
I read "enjoyable" as meaning "made you release the most endorphins or semen when you first played it" and "best" as meaning "never loses its appeal, revolutionary, genre-defining, etc." (even then the distinction is pretty nebulous).

My most "enjoyable" seven:

1. Dreamfall
2. Indigo Prophecy/Fahrenheit
3. Resident Evil 4
4. Civ 4
5. HOMM 3
6. Starcraft
7. Gahan Wilson's Ultimate Haunted House

Honorable mentions: The Descent series, Halloween Harry, the Commander Keen series, Sims 3, Castle Crashers, C-Dogs, Deus Ex, Divinity II, HOMM 1 & 2, Might and Magic 6, Star Wars Dark Forces, Diablo 1 & 2, Alpha Centauri, and WoW (I hate WoW now, but when I first tried it... yeah).

wachootah

Novice
1. Planescape torment
2. Homm 3
3. Fallout 2
4. Arcanum
5. Baldur's gate 2
6. Dwarf Fortress 2
7. Ultima Online

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
Oooo, that's a tough one.

My list (still playing Planescape: Torment)

1. Planescape: Torment (haven't done Phraods first quest yet, bronze sphere, etc)
2. Fallout: New Vegas
3. Baldur's Gate 2: Shadows of Amn.
4. Fallout 2
5. Fallout
6. Final Fantasy Tactics
7. Chrono Trigger.

mangsy

Educated
Just remembered some really enjoyable non-RPGs:

nbaj.jpg

dinopark_tycoon-1.gif

kengriffeyjrbaseball.jpg

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
mangsy said:
Oh man, I thought I was the only person in the world who had played this :lol:

I can still hum most of the tunes from the game too...

Never could get anywhere with the game though. No matter what I tried, my park would lose money and eventually go bankrupt :(

mangsy

Educated
Xor said:
It's NBA Jam, probably the best sports game ever.

Word.

Sceptic said:
Oh man, I thought I was the only person in the world who had played this :lol:

I can still hum most of the tunes from the game too...

Never could get anywhere with the game though. No matter what I tried, my park would lose money and eventually go bankrupt :(

Haha, yeah I remember it could get tough. Def gonna download this bad boy and play it again though. So much fun.

Pliffmaster

Novice
1. Star Control 2 / The Ur-Quan Masters
2. System Shock
3. VTM:Bloodlines
4. Gothic2+NotR
5. Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers
6. Fallout 2
7. Secret Weapons of the Luftwaffe

Pelvis Knot

Cipher
I posted on page 7 I'll keep it open till tomorrow - forgot to put an official statement so here it is:

VOTING CLOSES TOMORROW 3rd April

Rogue

Educated
I suspect there will be about a 1000 new members at the very last minute who will vote DA2 as their top choice.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom