Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Elements of War gone Gold

Jason

chasing a bee
<strong>[ Announcement ]</strong>

Weather controlling RTS <a href="http://www.kalypsomedia.com/en-us/games/elementsofwar/" target="_blank"><strong>Elements of War</strong></a> is a done deal and should be available in a few weeks.
<blockquote>Kalypso Media, a global publisher of award-winning PC and console games, is pleased to announce Elements of War, its real-time strategy game where players' armies use both conventional and climate-control weapons to devastate the enemy, has gone gold and will be released to North American retail outlets and via digital distribution on April 12. In Elements of War, players will take charge of a wide variety of military units, from modern helicopters and battle tanks, to futuristic weaponry such as powered exoskeletons, EMP generating vehicles and lightning-throwing planes as they battle across a torn and tattered near-future United States. As gamers fight their way across the decimated landscape, they will unlock next-generation weather-controlling weaponry that will allow them to unleash tornadoes, earthquakes and much more on their enemies. For more information about Elements of War, please visit www.kalypsomedia.com or http://www.facebook.com/elementswar.
</blockquote><p>Spotted @ <a href="http://www.bluesnews.com">Blues News</a></p>

YourConscience

Scholar
Jason said:
As gamers fight their way across the decimated landscape, they will unlock next-generation weather-controlling weaponry that will allow them to unleash tornadoes, earthquakes and much more on their enemies.

I think this press release takes the cake for being the most senseless ever. What is a decimated landscape? Decimated means 'less', decimating always applies to something countable (like an army or a population) and means that a number of those countable elements have been killed, removed, something. But landscape? Did the landscape become smaller or something?!

Also, what is the current-gen weather controlling weaponry? I mean, they are talking about next-gen weather controlling weaponry, so there must be a current-gen... And what has weather got to do with earthquakes fer crissake?

And all that in just one sentence. wow.

And the game itself, from the descriptoin it sounds like a bland RTS with just 12 missions. yay. like we haven't got already dozens of these in all variations...

Norfleet

YourConscience said:
Decimated means 'less', decimating always applies to something countable (like an army or a population) and means that a number of those countable elements have been killed, removed, something. But landscape? Did the landscape become smaller or something?!
Quite possibly. Maybe it's erosion on crack.

YourConscience said:
And what has weather got to do with earthquakes fer crissake?
Earthquakes are weather. Some places get rain, some places get snow, some places get earthquakes. Just because it doesn't fall from the sky doesn't mean it's not weather. Recent events demonstrate that more people ought to realize that, really.

YourConscience

Scholar
Norfleet said:
Earthquakes are weather. Some places get rain, some places get snow, some places get earthquakes. Just because it doesn't fall from the sky doesn't mean it's not weather. Recent events demonstrate that more people ought to realize that, really.

By all means Sir, but this is wrong! I quote the all-knowing wikipedia:

Wikipedia said:
Weather is the state of the atmosphere, to the degree that it is hot or cold, wet or dry, calm or stormy, clear or cloudy.[1] Most weather phenomena occur in the troposphere,[2][3] just below the stratosphere. Weather refers, generally, to day-to-day temperature and precipitation activity, whereas climate is the term for the average atmospheric conditions over longer periods of time.[4] When used without qualification, "weather" is understood to be the weather of Earth.

An earthquake is really a different kind of animal than rain, blizzard, fog or sunshine are.

Norfleet

YourConscience said:
An earthquake is really a different kind of animal than rain, blizzard, fog or sunshine are.
How so? It's a naturally occurring phenomenon that inconveniences, destroys, and kills, just like hail, tsunamis, asteroids, and volcanoes. If any of these things are a regular problem in your region, you should be planning accordingly. And if my reaction is "This shit again?" when I hear about it, it's definitely a regular problem.

YourConscience said:
Jason said:
As gamers fight their way across the decimated landscape, they will unlock next-generation weather-controlling weaponry that will allow them to unleash tornadoes, earthquakes and much more on their enemies.

I think this press release takes the cake for being the most senseless ever. What is a decimated landscape? Decimated means 'less', decimating always applies to something countable (like an army or a population) and means that a number of those countable elements have been killed, removed, something. But landscape? Did the landscape become smaller or something?!

It's even stupider than that. 'Decimate' means, specifically, to kill one tenth of a population. It was a communal punishment invented by the Roman empire, used on poorly performing military units, towns that harboured rebels, prisoners of war that 'needed pacifying', and basically any other time that blame was imputed upon a large group. The main use, as far as I've read, was internal military discipline. The idea is that it isn't actually reducing the size that much - you're only killing one tenth, so for a military unit that isn't in active combat that's an easily replaceable amount. But because it's random and spread throughout the group's population, it was very effective as a mass 'incentive' - if screwing up badly means that you're all facing decimation, then you're going to be pretty keen on making sure that your fellow centurions pull their weight. As a 'pacifying' tactic against an occupied town, it's also just enough of an atrocity to be truly terrifying to the locals, without destroying their ability to pay taxes and contribute to the roman coffins.

So, killing 1 in 10. So, applying that to a landscape. You're killing....one tenth of their lands? So about the same as ordinary industrial growth? Isn't that....way less than the environmental damage caused by conventional warfare?

YourConscience said:
Norfleet said:

By all means Sir, but this is wrong! I quote the all-knowing wikipedia:

Wikipedia said:
Weather is the state of the atmosphere, to the degree that it is hot or cold, wet or dry, calm or stormy, clear or cloudy.[1] Most weather phenomena occur in the troposphere,[2][3] just below the stratosphere. Weather refers, generally, to day-to-day temperature and precipitation activity, whereas climate is the term for the average atmospheric conditions over longer periods of time.[4] When used without qualification, "weather" is understood to be the weather of Earth.

Hold, cold, wet, dry, calm, clear, cloudy or WHAT THE FUCK THE EARTH IS OPENING UP AND SWALLOWING THE CITY!!! Perhaps it's the odd one out.

Norfleet

Azrael the cat said:
Hold, cold, wet, dry, calm, clear, cloudy or WHAT THE FUCK THE EARTH IS OPENING UP AND SWALLOWING THE CITY!!! Perhaps it's the odd one out.
I dunno, it fits in with the company of weather phenomena, like, say, hurricanes, tornadoes, typhoons, floods, giant killer meteors from outer space...all these things fuck up a city and if they become recurring themes, something should probably be done about it. This is the sort of stuff I think of when I think of weather. If you are not experiencing something like this, it does not really count as weather and you should just ignore it.

YourConscience

Scholar
Well, scientifically speaking, you guys make your taxonomy based on the effect something has, whereas normally taxonomies are made based on the cause or origin of something. Only because something destroys a city or otherwise messes up your day (rain, blizzard, earthquake) doesn't mean it's the same kind of thing. It's like saying that everything that can bite you is an animal. So beetles are animals as well then, a robotic jaw that can bite would be an animal as well.

In fact, most intelligence tests contain some kind of tasks that test whether the person tested can differentiate between improper abstraction (i.e. based on effect) and correct abstraction (based on cause). According to this I am talking to people who would've failed this part of the intelligence test. :)

chzr

Scholar
Frau Bishop said:
Well, heh.
What has to local bunch of weather experts to say about the game, is it any good?

well haven't played a lot, barely made it through retarded tutorial (wasn't able to skip some faggot who was telling me how to move units, camera or attack for like 30 secs each command)

other than that, the gameplay is very similar to world in conflict.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom