Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Call of Pripyat - MODS

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
A couple of mods have caught my eye, and was just wondering if anyone has played either of these?

Call of Pripyat Complete

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Call of Pripyat: Redux

The Complete one sound neat.. just more enhancements.

The Redux actually sound very cool, but man... it's seems like brutal fucking rape (with the economy and other changes).

Pretty graphics are cool but that redux mod sounds really great. This reminds me that I didn't play CoP yet... Thanks for tip. :salute:

duanth000

Novice
It's a really smooth experience, but ironically takes some of the grittiness that made the first game great...I'd say the high water mark in the series is Clear Sky.

Dezzy

Novice
I always heard Clear Sky was the worst.

As for CoP, check out the AtmosFear mods, they add some...well, atmosphere, like better weather, skies, foliage and ambient sounds.

duanth000

Novice
Clear Sky had the best/worst mechanic: factions, which could have been brilliant in the sense that the first game could be, at least in some areas, completely cleared out, which completely gutted any "survival horror" angle that the game was going for. The third game dispensed with the mechanic. My appreciation of the second, despite it's many flaws, was that it more effectively kept me on edge (as would a real war zone/nuclear no-mans land populated by monsters) than either other game. Especially the first area, which is brilliant in it's execution of the retaking of encampments (encampments make up each zone and you have to murder everyone in the area to claim them for your faction, which starts out as clear sky). Regardless, Clear Sky is a great game and I think it's been marginalized because reviewers of both amateur and professional sorts judge excellence against excellence and in that regard it had little likelihood of being better than the first. My only real caveat is that the monster were neither as brutal nor terrifying as in the first and maybe even then they should have been more so.

Surphy

Novice
Ok Jaesun, I get that you move japanese dungeon crawlers to general gaming forums, but what is this faggotry? Stalker in grpgd?

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
I accidently started this thread here. But I don't have mod powers here to move it. :oops:

And agreed duanth000. CoP is awesome, but some of the grittiness is a bit gone... as well as some of the utterly fucking cool areas in SoC.

Mister Arkham

Scholar
Well, the Complete series of mods has been pretty great for the past two games, at least as far as visually upgrading what are--I've always thought--pretty great looking titles already. I can't imagine that this one will be any different.

As far as the series goes, I felt during CoP that it was the first game where they had really gotten the story in place right from the outset, and were working toward a really tangible conclusion. The shooting mechanics are also a lot stronger, I think. The devs did sacrifice a lot of the feeling of freedom from the first two though, both in cutting back the number of areas and excising the faction system. It's an interesting trade-off, but not one that I"m sure that they needed to make...especially with as close as they got to doing the faction system really well in Clear Sky.

Maybe in the next game...

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Well my first report on Call of Pripyat Complete, is that basically this is a mod specifically for people with 64bit systems (because of the memory requirements). You can try to run it on a 32bit system (like I have) but it's too prone to crashes and poor performance sadly. There is a small performance patch he released no too long ago, but even that doesn't help much.

Sgizo

Educated
As far as I know there's the Atmosfear 2 mod, which enhances the weather and ambience. A beautiful game gets even more gorgeous. Also the nights are almost pitch black, with awesome night skies :salute:. I used it one my first play through as it doesn't change anything gameplay wise. If you like it, try the Absolute Nature 2 Texture Pack, which gets rid of the blurry foliage and ground textures. So it's ideal if you want an enhanced vanilla game.

Tails

Arbiter
Jaesun said:
A couple of mods have caught my eye, and was just wondering if anyone has played either of these?

Call of Pripyat Complete

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Call of Pripyat: Redux

The Complete one sound neat.. just more enhancements.

The Redux actually sound very cool, but man... it's seems like brutal fucking rape (with the economy and other changes).

Jaesun said:
Tails said:
Jaesun said:
The one thing it does really need is an Economy mod, that basically makes loot a lot harder to find, and stashes that are really worth it when you come upon them.
You can check out M.A.I.O. then - Tweaks AI, Weapons, Mutants and also economy, iIt has also included pretty smug HUD. Also I recommend Stalker CoP Sound Overhaul, which basically replaces many sound with better ones, especially the guns. Another neat thing is AtmosFear for Call Of Pripyat which improves weather system in a massive way.

See, this is the one thing I just HATE about the STALKER modding community. Some mods have some really really nice features, but then they just cram tons of other shit I just do not want or like. If they would release them modular like or possibly use something like Weidu (like the BG mods) that would be ideal.

It's like they all have ADHD "hey guize! I'mma make a loot balance patch! Oh yeah, then I'mma gonna change all the weapon sounds. Also let me tweak some mutant stats! I have an Idea! Let's now make anomalies tougher!" etc etc...

:x
Suddenly you did come with love for such shit Jaesun? :salute: I hope it will get you much of KKKodex as well!
Also, wrong subforum.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Not sure what you are trying to say there Tails?

I still hate mods that combine a ton of useless shit. Both of the 2 mods I listed above as well. It's pretty much a which one contains LESS useless shit.

Again my original question was if anyone had played them. No one really responded, So I tried it. It was crap, and now off to look for more.

Tried Redux mod, lots of very nice features, especially realism ones. Problem is that there is also huge load of useless stupid annoying features. I really liked how weapons work in it (tracers only on tracer ammo, minimal iron sights zoom, lethality), how dangerous anomalies are, hell how dangerous everything is, better Ai is also nice thing to have, oh and improved economy. It's very refreshing from hp blobs usually found in games but removed weapon/armor modding and stashes among other things really turn me off. Any mods similar to this? I'm browsing moddb but mod descriptions are very uninformative and looks like I have to dl whole thing just to read readme with changes :roll: .

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
JohnTheRevelator said:
Tried Redux mod, lots of very nice features, especially realism ones. Problem is that there is also huge load of useless stupid annoying features. I really liked how weapons work in it (tracers only on tracer ammo, minimal iron sights zoom, lethality), how dangerous anomalies are, hell how dangerous everything is, better Ai is also nice thing to have, oh and improved economy. It's very refreshing from hp blobs usually found in games but removed weapon/armor modding and stashes among other things really turn me off. Any mods similar to this? I'm browsing moddb but mod descriptions are very uninformative and looks like I have to dl whole thing just to read readme with changes :roll: .

OK thanks for the info. I wish I could just rip the economy part from this mod and just use that. *sigh*

I did try http://www.moddb.com/mods/call-of-pripyat-reloaded

this briefly. Ran fine but encountered a strange"There is no disk in drive D:" bug while playing it (I own the STEAM version). ugh. It's still a beta though, but supposedly fairly stable.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
Time to necro a thread.

Which in your opinion is the best mod? I want to replay CoP, but I cannot test them all.

I want the best athmosphere and variety in the game, but keep all the nice things from Vanilla (balance, difficulty, exploration, hidden stuff).

Or should I just get Athmosfear?

Icewater

Artisanal Shitposting™
Patron
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
I hear Misery's pretty good. There's a new version coming out soon ("Q2 2012" according to one of the devs) that's going to fix and add a ton of stuff, might want to wait for that.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Well, this is certainly in the wrong forum. Moving to GGD.

potatojohn

Arcane
I played the Redux mod for the first stalker game, and it was awesome. It was very hard and very satisfying. I didn't even know they made one for COP but it makes me want to play COP again with it.

MMM

Novice
Complete is nice, go with that for a completed Stalker experience.
I tried out Misery days ago; that mod is basically a hardcore (increased difficulty) version of I Work Alone (same author) which is amazing as well.
I like how in Misery the modders enhanced the atmosphere to make it even miserable/hopeless and immersive.
They implement a new class selection feature: you got a choice to start the game with one of 3 different classes with different gears and abilities.
Also, there is a mod that adds all the clear sky locations to COP whose name I forget atm.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
Which version is recommended for modding? My old version (russian + eng translation) doesn't work.

GreyViper

Prophet
I dont see S.M.A.R.T.E.R MOD or the latest SGM mod.

I play mostly SGM 2.2 with english translation since it has most new content and I like that the enabled the ability to visit the old maps like cordon army warehouse and others. Similar feature is comming S.M.A.R.T.E.R v0.45 but thats still work in progress while SGM 2.2 has most of it working. Also another thing I like about the SGM ise Alpha Squads who will spawn at certain interwals and will start hunting down the PC.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom