Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Editorial The Unbroken Circle of Zerthimon

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Black Isle Studios; Planescape: Torment

<p>Gamasutra <a href="http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/RadekKoncewicz/20110403/7361/The_Unbroken_Circle_of_Zerthimon.php" target="_blank">take a look back</a> at <strong>Planescape: Torment</strong>, specifically at the teachings of Zerthimon and how those teachings influence Dak'kon.</p>
<blockquote>
<h4>Teaching the Circle</h4>
<p><strong><em>"You performed a great service for me. In so doing, you enslaved me."</em></strong></p>
<p><strong><em><br /></em></strong></p>
<p>With with the sixth layer, both TNO and Dak'kon receive a new spell. To unlock the seventh and eighth layers, TNO's intelligence must be high enough to work the mechanism, and his wisdom high enough to understand the lessons themselves.</p>
<p>This is a nice transition of student-to-teacher, and ultimately rewards Dak'kon with some permanent stat increases. These in turn affect the karach blade, empowering it with each increment.</p>
<p>The lessons of the Circle also lead to the truth behind Dak'kon's and TNO's past.</p>
<p>The ruthless "practical" incarnation originally found Dak'kon close to death in the world of Limbo. He desired the karach blade, so he ensnared the gith in a devious trap. By constructing the Unbroken Circle of Zerthimon and speaking of its lessons, he showed Dak'kon a glimmer of hope to his spiritual ailment. In exchange, Dak'kon promised to follow TNO until his death, effectively becoming bound to the immortal for all time.</p>
<p>This enslavement constituted the greatest&nbsp;sacrilege&nbsp;for the zerth, yet it was the only salve for Dak'kon's moribund soul. By completing the Circle, we finally brought him the resolution he so desperately craved.</p>
</blockquote>
<p>Spotted at: <a href="http://www.gamebanshee.com/news/102243-the-unbroken-circle-of-zerthimon.html">GB</a></p>

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
But this isn't half as good writing as Dragon Age 2, as everyone who played both games should know because obviously DA2 had much better writers since it also had higher production values. Also it has mature romances which PST lacks.

Lockkaliber

Magister
Patron
Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Who's this Radek guy that made the post? He even linked to a thread here!

Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
He has potato-land sounding name.

EDIT: Off topic but reading Use of Weapons by Iain M. Banks recently did give me a strong PS:T vibe. One of the characters did something terrible while being a captain of a great ship (and similar story is mentioned in PST as either the first or one of the incarnations) and then seeks to atone for his sin by seeking immortality. Yet he can't avoid spilling blood and hurting people in the process.

Jim Cojones

Prophet
Lockkaliber said:
Who's this Radek guy that made the post? He even linked to a thread here!
He designs iPad and browser games. The one for iPad actually may be an interesting tactical game - it's an independent project with strong steampunk vibes. Browser-based look like they are going to be a collections of various minigames - something they make as an contract job to finance the first game.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Good to see the our status as a prestigious magazine is recognized.

duanth000

Novice
lol I love the fact that, aside from this article sounded like a shitty plot synopsis, the writer ENTIRELY glosses over the fact that the Practical Incarnation wrote the circle's contents himself. As in they were a lie meant entirely to play on Dakkon's religious focus. That entirely changes the nature and meaning of the teachings, irrespective of whether the current incarnation expresses regret/and or tries to validate the meaning of them aside from their inherent falsehood.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom