Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Jagged Alliance 2 - Reloaded Ditches Turn-Based Combat

Zdzisiu

Arcane
The engine looks decent, but this thing they call combat is atrocious. Really, they are just staying there and bursting at each other in realtime and I can't tell if they hit each other or not.

If they could preserve the turn based combat I would be interested, but now it is just stupid next-gen shit.

Btw, is there any kind of inventory?

spectre

Arcane
Well, even a half blind faggot would see that the combat looks inane, full auto bursts at 10 meters with little effect.
Well, here's hoping that it's just an early beta, so they'll iron it out.... ok I don't believe I actually wrote that.

Noting new here, no fog of war is retarded, animations lack that little extra oomph, although the rtwp controls look serviceable and the visuals aren't bad (despite the obvious placeholder graphics).

Have to say, I would actually consider forking out monies for a proper ja2 seqel on that sort of engine and with assets like that. Unfortunately this isn't it.

Father Walker

Potato Ranger
Apparently Germans cannot into Jagged Alliance. :smug:

Nobody was hoping for a serious incline over JA2 gameplay, but at least a decent clone. And it seems that BC fags didn't even manage to get hold of most basic stuff which made this game so brilliant. So BC, go eat dick while I play my uber-personalized version of JA2 1.13.

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
The final 30 seconds of the video, starring the unkillable soldier watching its grenade slowly and gracefully arc towards the 15ft away enemy harmlessly blasting him full auto are really scary.
I don't understand german, so do they say something about it ? Like it's an early build not taking all damage into account or something ?

Phelot

Arcane
zeitgeist said:
There's an actual gameplay video with commentary in German out now: Jagged Alliance: Back in Action - Gameplay (GameStar)

Here's the related thread on jaggedalliance.com, apparently there will be an English translation of the entire article/commentary at some point.

An army of Igors... OH GOD YES!!!

Anyway, it actually looks pretty good, but the combat looked terrible. I don't have sound so what was even happening in the first combat scene? One dude was just spamming gunfire and enemies just kind of stood around not reacting.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Lonely Vazdru said:
The final 30 seconds of the video, starring the unkillable soldier watching its grenade slowly and gracefully arc towards the 15ft away enemy harmlessly blasting him full auto are really scary.
I don't understand german, so do they say something about it ? Like it's an early build not taking all damage into account or something ?
Isn't full auto horribly inaccurate anyway? The only reason it was somewhat effective in JA2 was that the bullet had to fly somewhere and due to distance being compressed in game, the spread wasn't big enough.

spectre

Arcane
Guns: now with an effective range below that of spears.

Full auto accuracy is 95% dependent on the shooter's experience with the gun. But anyone even marginally experienced (i.e., able to hold the gun without dropping it) should not be that inaccurate until the target gets to be much further out.

zool

Arcane
I shed a tear. Gone for good are my hopes for a proper sequel to one of the best games ever made.

Micmu

Magister
Haters gonna hate.
Looks awesome, btw. Looking forward to it.

NOT!1
z o o l said:
I shed a tear. Gone for good are my hopes for a proper sequel to one of the best games ever made.
You had HOPES? More like t o o l, am I rite?

Nah, the best way to approach it is to sit back and watch what trainwreck it'll be. Looking forward to new re-imagining of X-COM, too. :lol:

z3r'0'

Liturgist
"Looking forward to new re-imagining of X-COM"

Brave new world - making reboots/sequels
that have fuck all to do with the originals.

Its almost as if we're being trolled!??!

sser

Arcane
Developer
Is there any reason why the Silent Storm games or its engine never caught on? I thought that shit was so brilliant and ahead of the curve as far as technical stuff goes. I don't get why a game like that can exist back in 2004 (IIRC) and yet it was basically a swan song for the genre. For fucks sake... No developer has faith in the genre at all these days.

Gwendo

Augur
sser said:
Is there any reason why the Silent Storm games or its engine never caught on? I thought that shit was so brilliant and ahead of the curve as far as technical stuff goes. I don't get why a game like that can exist back in 2004 (IIRC) and yet it was basically a swan song for the genre. For fucks sake... No developer has faith in the genre at all these days.

Even today the game looks very good.

I just wish there was a way to play it at a 16:10 (1680x1050) resolution. If anyone knows, please share how.

a budda

Arbiter
so someone please explain it to me... they take a game only nerds loved and strip it of all the nerds loved and try to sell it to WHOM exactly?

all i could come up with is they think we get dumber with age, but that's stupid so...?

zool

Arcane
micmu said:
z o o l said:
You had HOPES? More like t o o l, am I rite?

:oops: Damn, DU made it look even more retarded.

But nah, I didn't have any serious hope anyway. I would have wanted an old-school isometric JA3, with an even more complex strategic layer and improved RPG aspects - and of course that it keeps the Bloodlinesque VO and hand-drawn-portraits-with-blinking-eyes. Wasn't gonna happen anyway.

JA2 will always remain dear to my heart, and in my top 3 games of all time. Thankfully there is 1.13 and a number of mods - I gotta replay Urban Chaos, but I'm waiting for the 1.13 port to be stable.

MCA
You mean it isn't already?

Just so you know, the last Urban Chaos 1.13 release was nearly a year ago and with so much new stuff going on in 1.13 ATM, I doubt anyone will touch UC 1.13.

Awor Szurkrarz said:
Lonely Vazdru said:
Isn't full auto horribly inaccurate anyway? The only reason it was somewhat effective in JA2 was that the bullet had to fly somewhere and due to distance being compressed in game, the spread wasn't big enough.

I have fond memories of mowing down 3 to 5 people using match ammo in full auto. And from the vanilla game as well, though far fewer.

BTW, Long time modders at JA Galaxy has started discussing rewriting and compartmentalising the game from scratch for a more modular and inter-compatible modding platform. They will likely add some graphics whorism features and maybe even 3D characters. Expect results in 3 years.

zool

Arcane
villain of the story said:
You mean it isn't already?

Just so you know, the last Urban Chaos 1.13 release was nearly a year ago and with so much new stuff going on in 1.13 ATM, I doubt anyone will touch UC 1.13.

No, wil473 is regularly updating it, and the changelog make me think that it is still far from being stable - and even farther from being reasonably balanced. See this thread on Bearpit's.

Goddamn, that looked awful. Can't hit your opponent from 20 feet away after firing off an entire magazine? Oh, fuck.

If you're going to do RT, at least include multiple slow speed settings like UFO: Aftermath/shock/light.

I guess it wouldn't matter anyway. It's a total wreck.

MCA
I just downloaded the original Urban Chaos for JA2. No extra mods. The last UC version. The kicker is: it plays very much like that new video ie. guys with Marksmanship 80+, Dexterity 80+ miss more than half the shots at 1-5 tile range. And NPCs are psychic, they spot you from behind doors, their backs turned to you with you hidden 15 tiles away. The goes for your mercs, too. You can see everyone in a range even if they're behind.

Surely something has to be wrong here? This UC I'm playing has almost nothing to do with Vanilla JA2.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom