Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Hypothetical BGT LP

Reading through the Baldur’s Gate series LPs here, I’ve developed an urge to play through the games again (or, actually play past the very start of the first and replay the second again). In a couple of months, anyway, on account of not having too much time at the moment.

Since I’m going to play through anyway, I figured I might as well see if there’s any interest in me doing an LP of it as I go through. There are already a few, so I’m not sure if anyone cares for more. It wouldn’t be in exactly the same way, naturally; I was planning on soloing a sorcerer through the series with SCS, SCSII, and Ascension, along with a few parts of the Tweakpack and Oversight (any others I should use?). Of the first three, I’ve only done Ascension once before, so it might be interesting to see how it goes. And, if nothing else, it will help give me the motivation not to skip the first game again after the very start.

No great reason behind choosing to use a sorcerer. I used one once before and it worked nicely, and I think they’re well-suited to this sort of thing. I know F/M/Cs can be good for soloing, but I did one in my last solo run (the one with Ascension), and I don’t want to do the same thing again. That’s about all that comes to mind. But if anyone has an argument for a different class, I wouldn’t mind hearing it.

There is one thing I’m undecided on: the experience cap. Removing it might make things too easy, but I’m afraid that leaving it might end up with me hitting a roadblock at some point, so I would like some input here. I was considering removing it but halving (or similar) all experience rewards, so that might be an option (not sure how to go about doing that though). But then, I’ve never played with SCS before, so I don’t know how buggering around with experience impacts it.

That’s about all, I think.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Cleric / Mage is very OP if you use the lower resistances spell.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
While with decent narration they cna be great fun to read, you should be warned that doing a LP is a *lot* of work. We're talking well in excess of a thousand screenshots you will have to sort through, crop, convert, upload, link and comment. If you think you're up for it, by all means go ahead. You're sure to find an audience here. But it may be a good idea to start out with a shorter, more managable game.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
No point in doing a solo-run like that. SCS and SCS2 will kill most of the exploits you can use when soloing, making the game impossible for a single character. Case in point - Bandit Camp: with SCS all the named characters are buffed plus the enemies call for help, meaning that two minutes after you killed the first enemy, EVERYONE on the map will zerg on you. Unless you have cheated yourself several Summon Monster wands it's impossible. Also, sorcerer would be bad class to solo in BG1 as SCS adds protection-spells to all the casters and it takes a long while to get suitable removable spells, leading you into situations where your only chance is to hit the caster with your quarter staff - not fun for anyone.

Which is why I would recommend you to install BG1NPC-project mod and then LP through the game in the same vein that Paco did, though instead of using Codex Crew, use the existing NPCs. And since the NPC-project adds banters between various characters, it would be easier for you to come up with the narrative between screenshots. Since everyone here knows BG1+2 well enough by know that you need some gimmick/hook instead of just showing the same quests and dialogue.

MicoSelva said:
Soloing Baldur's Gate games is pointless and stupid.
Well, that would be quite right for me, then.

GarfunkeL said:
Much solid advice.
For the gimmick I was thinking of doing a sort of first-person narrative from the character's point of view, playing around with how it would all impact his mental state. I didn't want to post all of the dialogue anyway, just summaries.

Anyway, yes, that's rather helpful. I was afraid something like that would be the case. I had pretty good expectations for BG2, but the first was a bit of a concern, and indeed I was thinking that a sorcerer might be a poor choice (but wasn't sure). I could do as you suggest. Actually, I could do both. BG with a party and 2 without (it would work with the gimmick I had in mind, too—even better, maybe), although that might seem a bit inconsistent. I could live without soloing the first game, but I really do want to solo SCSII. No great reason for it, I just do (and can be dissuaded if you really think it's suicide).

But, yeah, I'm open to more advice, by all means. I'm in no hurry.

chzr

Scholar
i'd say all possible 'types' of bg1 lps are in progress or have been finished recently(solo, w/ npcs and codex party). unfortunately for you, bg is too linear to make the lp 'original' by other means.

if you really need to make one though, i guess it should be definitely codex party, mod the shit out of it for extra rape and replace ingame dialogues with some quality larping and banter between party members to make it at least as interesting as paco's lp.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
Also don't forget to take 1-2 months between updates. People love that.

For good measure start another LP right in the middle of the first one. That’s another crowd pleaser.

Krraloth

Prophet
Patron
Wasteland 2
oldmanpaco said:
Also don't forget to take 1-2 months between updates. People love that.

For good measure start another LP right in the middle of the first one. That’s another crowd pleaser.

You should be honored Rod, you have the evil mastermind of the LPers giving you suggestions.

Elzair

Cipher
I don't know if you're up for this, but it would be cool to have an LP in the spirit of IT-HE, where you just try to rook the game silly.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
chzr said:
i'd say all possible 'types' of bg1 lps are in progress or have been finished recently(solo, w/ npcs and codex party).

Edward_R_Murrow, while using Bioware npc's, went completely vanilla so it's mostly banter between MOTHERFUCKING SHEPARD and the gameworld, which is why I recommended the npc-mod to add some spice.

Yeah, definitely start a second LP during your first LP, then abandon the second one and have your first one overtaken by someone else who is much better in it anyway. :M

I think I've decided on a decent way to go about this.

I'll do Baldur's Gate with the NPC mod, iron man with regard to the NPCs. I'd like to try SCS, but if that proves suicidal I might change that. The second I'll try to solo with SCS2 (though that's not set in stone). Ascension for ToB. I certainly intend to larp the hell out of it. Can't imagine any other way to do it.

Now I just need to study up on the correct order to install everything and wait two months. I'll make sure to insert a few breaks like that through the actual LP, too. Just before boss fights and the like would be best.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom