Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview More Previews for The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Tags: CD Projekt; Witcher 2, The

<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>PCGamer has <a href="http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/04/21/the-witcher-2-preview/">played ten glorious Witchering hours</a> and writes:</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<blockquote>
<p>The Witcher II: Assassins of Kings is more than just a sequel. It&rsquo;s CD Projekt&rsquo;s chance to turn a cult RPG success into a huge mainstream hit, with all that hard-won experience joining forces with a brand new engine, and riding a wave of warm sentiment via the Enhanced Edition of the first game, and Good Old Games. I just finished playing through the Prologue and the whole first Act &ndash; ten glorious Witchering hours, give or take &ndash; but is it really the epic RPG we&rsquo;ve all been hoping for? Hint: Yes.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>Unlike the first game, which used the tiresome old amnesia gimmick to explain why Geralt couldn&rsquo;t witch his way out of a paper bag without much levelling, you start this one as a capable badass. You have access to all of the standard magical signs right from the beginning, and are immediately thrust into action alongside one King Foltest, as seen at the end of the last game. If you didn&rsquo;t play that, don&rsquo;t worry. Witcher 2 doesn&rsquo;t do a great job of establishing the story so far, but it doesn&rsquo;t take long for things to be explained. If you did, you can import your savegame and a few of the decisions will carry over. Unfortunately, I didn&rsquo;t have one to hand, so any plot bits here are based on the default settings.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>For all this visual improvement, it&rsquo;s the writing that most impresses. As with the first game, The Witcher was written by Polish writers, which immediately gives it a slightly different feel to most American made RPGs. This time though, the translation is excellent, and the character work is miles ahead. King Foltest for instance, who you start the game protecting, actually feels like a guy an army would follow. He takes time to acknowledge individual soldiers. He&rsquo;s savvy about the weapons being used against him (not least because they used to be his own), and has a compassionate side to go along with his hot-headedness. He immediately snaps at anyone who calls his illegitimate children &lsquo;bastards&rsquo;, and when the tide of battle turns, his orders are &ldquo;Fall back, gods dammit! I forbid you to die like imbeciles!&rdquo;</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>(Admittedly, he also says &lsquo;They&rsquo;ve taken a good position, the bastards! They&rsquo;ll pick us off like ducks, and I&rsquo;m no duck!&rsquo;. Not everything that falls out of his mouth is a nugget of word-gold&hellip;)</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>Some of the best touches are on a smaller scale though, like the moments where Geralt gets together with his friends to just talk politics, his deadpan responses, or cute details like the way the kids in town start following him around asking &ldquo;White Wolf, are you the one who ate Red Riding Hood?&rdquo; or asking if he carries two swords because he keeps losing one. Market traders shout things out, characters note your approach (although always with the same line, unfortunately) and there are more than enough people to fill out the scene. There&rsquo;s no great technical feat to this, unlike some of Bethesda&rsquo;s Skyrim plans, but that doesn&rsquo;t matter. After the ghost-town of Kirkwall, The Witcher 2 feels positively bustling.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>Onto the more &lsquo;mature&rsquo; mature content. The Witcher&rsquo;s handling of sex was one of its more divisive design decisions, and that&rsquo;s likely to be the case here too. The main difference is that this time, the sexist elements feel more like the background of the world itself than the game being childish, from the notable way one female spy is introduced in her biography as one of the toughest under the local spymaster&rsquo;s command, yet still spends the entire prologue doing nothing but fetching drinks, to the nature of the more misogynistic characters. The first big example for instance involves a group of soldiers who apparently captured Geralt at some point during his missing memories, now greeting him like an old friend. &ldquo;We&rsquo;d have set you free, the sorceress too,&rdquo; says one. &ldquo;Boholt was just fooling about the raping and all.&rdquo;</p>
</blockquote>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>The article is a fairly long read, <a href="http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/04/21/the-witcher-2-preview/">so be sure to read the entire article here</a>.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>RPGSite also have <a href="http://pc.rpgsite.net/articles/273/273/the-witcher-2-preview.html">a hand's on Preview</a>:</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<blockquote>
<p>Geralt of Rivia once again finds himself in a sticky situation, chained up in a dungeon in the basement of the Vizima castle following the events of a siege, accused of a crime he says he didn't commit. He looks to be all torn up as he hangs from a wooden beam that he is chained to, suffering constant abuse by the hands of the guards.&nbsp;</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>His body is scarred from battle - deep cuts and whip lashings are evident. Soon, a man who was there during the siege arrives to discuss the unknown crime with Geralt. What ensues is a flashback sequence where players can decide whether to play through the experience fully, or only during key events (you're either lazy or n your second play through if you would dare to choose the latter).</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>Waking up next to the very sexy and very naked sorceress Triss Merigold, Geralt's lover that was introduced in the first game, a soldier crashes the sex party to tell the witcher that the king wishes to see him. As soon as you exit the tent, you are quickly greeted by one he'll of a breathtaking view of the battlefield.&nbsp;</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>When you are not listening to the soldiers tell tales of raping and pillaging, you can hear the bellowing sounds of ballista launching attacks off in the distance or watch trebuchets being carefully loaded. I was only minutes into the game, and already I was completely captivated by this incredibly impressive world full of surrealistic appeal that in my opinion has no equal. The environment is also far more immersive, allowing players to interact with ladders, jump up and down ledges, hide behind objects while in stealth mode, and much more.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>Character Progression is now laid out in a uniquely designed template in a thread formation. You start off by putting "talents" into the top quadrant, Training, which covers the basics of combat and stat enhancements. Once you are done filling that up, players can then branch off towards one of the other quadrants that lets you become either a Swordmaster, an Alchemist, or a Mage (or all three if you&rsquo;re into being a jack-of-all-trades character).&nbsp;</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>Thankfully, you only have to rely on individual points instead of the use of bronze, silver, and gold medals, which not only streamlines the process but makes it far more intuitive in that you aren't bogged by different choices - it's all straightforward. You can also see your current Attributes on a separate screen in order to figure out what you should be focusing on to build your character, such as your armor or vitality.</p>
</blockquote>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>The full article <a href="http://pc.rpgsite.net/articles/273/273/the-witcher-2-preview.html">can be found here</a>.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>And lastly, <a href="http://www.thegamerbuzz.com/the-witcher-2-assassins-of-kings-preview">The Gamer Buzz ponders the question of RPG's</a>:</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<blockquote>
<p>It&rsquo;s important to keep in mind that The Witcher was known for its extremely non-linear gameplay, and this title will be no different. The game is diverse and adaptable&mdash;it seeks to create a path that the player will enjoy based off of his or her personal preferences, whether it involves a focus on plot elements, the combat, or the exploration of magic. Naturally, based off of this, The Witcher 2 incorporates decision-based plot progression which affects your relationships, the outcomes of political decisions, and so on. While one would think that this is already a sufficient level of depth to any well-drafted RPG, this depth has been richly embossed with more and more options. There are sixteen different endings, three difficulties (one of which requires the player to start the game over from scratch if Geralt dies), and over two hours of cut scenes.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>It just raises the question: if you like RPGs, why wouldn&rsquo;t you buy this game?</p>
</blockquote>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>Spotted at: <a href="http://www.gamebanshee.com/news/102501-the-witcher-2-assassins-of-kings-previews.html">GameBanshee</a></p>

Stalin

Scholar
shit is shit
Witcher was extremely non linear? wtf?
you mean i could actually have avoided having sex with those polish monkeys dressed as women?

Sulimo

Arcane
Patron
Wasteland 2
Jaesun said:
There are [...] three difficulties (one of which requires the player to start the game over from scratch if Geralt dies).

You heard it here first, witcher 2 has iron man mode!

hoverdog

dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive
Developer
Project: Eternity
Stalin said:
you mean i could actually have avoided having sex with those polish monkeys dressed as women?
MOO_4591_m_Sheep.jpg

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
Jaesun take my advice son, this isn't good news posting. Crop the articles a bit, the point of the news section of rpgcodex is to give bullet points so I can whine about it as quickly as possible. I'm not going to read all this shit. To be fair though, I would bet this is also the point of most news site : give a general idea of the article, not copy paste it entirely

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Wouldn't bother reading the entire PC gamer article. Unless you're really concerned with graphics, technical, and boobie stuff just skip to the paragraph that starts with:

For most of the game though, you’re using one of Geralt’s other two swords...

That's when the actual gameplay discussion begins. Same with the RPG Site one, skip to:

I soon discovered that the developers have taken liberties in modifying the dialogue system...

Everything before that is either graphics or a rehash of Witcher 1 commentary and such. The final article is more concise and dispenses with the fluff and gets straight to commenting on gameplay.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Gotta love the comments on PC-Gamer:

WabeWalker @ PCGamer said:
Why was Dragon Age 2 even mentioned in this preview – especially twice? What purpose does that serve?

Any comparisons being made should be made with the original game, which has somehow become elevated to near god-like status even though it had a ton of issues. For example, why say that Kirkwall felt like a ghost town in comparison with locations in The Witcher 2? Instead, why not say that the small city in The Witcher was really just the size of a large village, and yet when walking down a street players would end up seeing the same NPCs on every corner, making the game feel more like a mod, or a low budget title. The way NPCs were recycled in The Witcher was appalling. I hadn’t seen a game recycle NPCs like that since the mid 80’s.

There were other flaws as well. But instead of reading about such flaws in The Witcher, I found myself reading about the flaws in Dragon Age 2 – I don’t care about Dragon Age 2’s flaws, I care about the flaws from the original title, and want to know if they’ve been addressed or not.

Talk about failure of reading comprehension.

GarfunkeL said:

Why was Dragon Age 2 even mentioned in this preview – especially twice? What purpose does that serve?

Any comparisons being made should be made with the original game, which has somehow become elevated to near god-like status even though it had a ton of issues. For example, why say that Kirkwall felt like a ghost town in comparison with locations in The Witcher 2? Instead, why not say that the small city in The Witcher was really just the size of a large village, and yet when walking down a street players would end up seeing the same NPCs on every corner, making the game feel more like a mod, or a low budget title. The way NPCs were recycled in The Witcher was appalling. I hadn’t seen a game recycle NPCs like that since the mid 80’s.

There were other flaws as well. But instead of reading about such flaws in The Witcher, I found myself reading about the flaws in Dragon Age 2 – I don’t care about Dragon Age 2’s flaws, I care about the flaws from the original title, and want to know if they’ve been addressed or not.

This has got to be the greatest outcome of the internet era. When I was a school-kid, you would seriously get significant segments of the 'stupid population' explicitly saying 'why do I need to learn this shit?' 'What's the point of writing essays, it isn't like I'll have to do that as a business executive?'.

The internet has just erased that kind of idiocy from human culture, making the correct answer obvious to all: 'So you don't sound like a fucking retard.'

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Now unfortunately, this can also end up having completely opposite the intended effect. Although it is a cool feature, not having the ability to know the exact necessary details for some quests can lead to some head-scratching, along with plenty of moments where the game just up and leaves you to your own device. Whether it is telling you to find this person or discover this item or anything of that nature, a lot of the time it will simply not tell you where you actually need to go.

The Horror, Horror...
This and the whining about Wither world being "sexist", Welcome to the world of castrated imbecils. :decline: :retarded:

Data4

Arcane
Azrael the cat said:
This has got to be the greatest outcome of the internet era. When I was a school-kid, you would seriously get significant segments of the 'stupid population' explicitly saying 'why do I need to learn this shit?' 'What's the point of writing essays, it isn't like I'll have to do that as a business executive?'.

The internet has just erased that kind of idiocy from human culture, making the correct answer obvious to all: 'So you don't sound like a fucking retard.'

In the good old days, idiots were promptly put in their place with all manner of pointing and laughing until they got the fucking message. Sadly, it's not the same nowadays...

The World Wide Web. Giving voice to dumbasses the world over since 1994.

Blind Eye

Scholar
In the good old days, idiots were promptly put in their place with all manner of pointing and laughing until they got the fucking message. Sadly, it's not the same nowadays...

Ya, nowadays they give stupid little Timmy a trophy, or a medal, and a pat on the back just for "participating". YA RETARDS.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
A game that went out of its way to offer interesting moral choices, complex storytelling, a wonderfully dark new fantasy flavour, and one of the best RPG experiences around… only to have it all completely overshadowed by silly collectable playing cards of assorted peasant girl boobies.
Completely overshadowed? WTF? I don't understand why for so many people the cards were seemingly the most memorable thing about the game. I think it speaks more about them than about the game...

Shannow

Waster of Time
Azrael the cat said:
GarfunkeL said:

I don't get it. Why is somebody who'd rather have a sequel compared to the original than to some other game that is vaguely in the same genre a retard? If I were interested in TW2 I'd also rather hear what changed from the first game than how TW2 will be a far better game than Big Rigs... Now I didn't read the article but from the info I have his point was valid - if a little theatrical - and in no way retarded. Much less did it have anything to do with your criticism, Az.
Am I having a problem with reading comprehension???

a budda

Arbiter
Elwro said:
A game that went out of its way to offer interesting moral choices, complex storytelling, a wonderfully dark new fantasy flavour, and one of the best RPG experiences around… only to have it all completely overshadowed by silly collectable playing cards of assorted peasant girl boobies.
Completely overshadowed? WTF? I don't understand why for so many people the cards were seemingly the most memorable thing about the game. I think it speaks more about them than about the game...
my thoughts exactly, I understand we might have had a fair share of "omg! nakid womans is porn is bad an juvenile", but hoped they got over or just shut up... but again, we're having a talk about... boobie cards
I'll better go take another bath...

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Shannow said:
I don't get it. Why is somebody who'd rather have a sequel compared to the original than to some other game that is vaguely in the same genre a retard? If I were interested in TW2 I'd also rather hear what changed from the first game than how TW2 will be a far better game than Big Rigs... Now I didn't read the article but from the info I have his point was valid - if a little theatrical - and in no way retarded. Much less did it have anything to do with your criticism, Az.
I'd say you do, except you said that you didn't read the article. The point is that the commenter apparently did, since he spotted the two mentions of DA2 but he completely missed the first two paragraphs in which the previewer compared TW2 to TW1, talking about the flaws in TW1. As to DA2, it's the most recent AAA-"rpg" published AND it's quite similar to TW2, it makes sense to compare the two. So his complaints stem firstly from ignorance and secondary from butthurt fanboyism.

Smiffy

Novice
GarfunkeL said:
Shannow said:
I'd say you do, except you said that you didn't read the article. The point is that the commenter apparently did, since he spotted the two mentions of DA2 but he completely missed the first two paragraphs in which the previewer compared TW2 to TW1, talking about the flaws in TW1. As to DA2, it's the most recent AAA-"rpg" published AND it's quite similar to TW2, it makes sense to compare the two. So his complaints stem firstly from ignorance and secondary from butthurt fanboyism.
No, it does not really make sense. What good does it do to compare Kirkwall of DA2 with a town in TW2? And who actually benefits from such a comparison? I'd say "not much" and "no-one, really".
But when comparing the town of TW1 with one of TW2, the answers would be "you get an impression if and how the devs addressed certain issues" and "those who played TW1" (which actually is the most likely audience for a review of TW2).
The other mention of DA2 - the graphics - seems equally unnecessary. Everybody knows that DA2's graphics were not (and never meant to be) top-notch. So what is the point in saying TW2's is better? How does it help the reader? What is the point in comparing at all? Especially with a game that has been criticized for its sub-par graphics?
DA2 might be a pet peeve for the reviewer or it's just an automatism in gaming journalism to always cite the latest of the AAAs when it comes to references. Other than that I see no reasons why he did as he did. And certainly no viable reasons.

As for "butthurt fanboyism" and, ahem, reading comprehension: The commentator says: "I don’t care about Dragon Age 2’s flaws, I care about the flaws from the original title, and want to know if they’ve been addressed or not.". So where did you detect that "butthurt fanboyism"?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom