Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Is anyone else getting annoyed with DLCs?

Ruprekt

Scholar
MetalCraze said:
Didn't Realms of Arkania have voice-overs for 15 bucks back in '90s?

Same with Origin titles.

But they did STOP when CDs came along and everything could be bundled together without additional cost.

I doubt it was ever a "business model".

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I hate DLCs because many developers stopped making big expansions, instead thinking they can make more money by pumping out cheap shitty low-content DLCs, so sizable quality expansions have become a rarity nowadays.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
MetalCraze said:
That's not DLC. Besides, shows what a newfag you are when way back at the beginning of the 90's we had speech packs for games like Wing Commander. Back then sound cards were still a rarity and floppies expensive so speech was an optional extra purchase. When CD drives and soundblasters became the norm, they stopped with this.

REALLY?!

Yes, REALLY! Find me a fucking speechpack during the CD era then, smartarse.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I think DLCs are the best thing ever. If I really like a game or feel the need to be a completionist for a particular title, DLCs let me use my wallet to show the developers exactly how much I love their game. It's about empowering me, as a consumer and gamer, to express myself and my passion for certain games.

Hopefully they'll expand on this model and start offering game features a la carte:

Quest Compass $4.99
Quest Text $39.95
Turn Based $29.99
Real Time $9.99
Stat Based $54.95
Twitch Gameplay $4.99

The possibilities are endless.

.Sigurd

Educated
So long it's not plot-related or anything like that I don't have a problem. I prefer that they stay on the "uber armor do balacobaco for $5!" ground though.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
2230-1.jpg

Erzherzog

Magister
Eh, there's good and bad.

A handful of companies are using a model where DLCs are unnecessary add-ons and more meaty content updates are provided through free patches. This can be horrible though. (TF2)

Commander Xbox

Learned
JarlFrank said:
I hate DLCs because many developers stopped making big expansions, instead thinking they can make more money by pumping out cheap shitty low-content DLCs, so sizable quality expansions have become a rarity nowadays.

Yeah rockstar is the only company that has done DLC right imo. The rest have either pumped out shitty half hour long missions for a stupid price or nickle and dimed you for an extra set of armour or guns.. or horse armour

obediah

Erudite
You know what else I'm starting to have my doubts about? Nazis. Sure they dress cool, but they can be sorta dickish.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
Unlike certain posters I'm not mindlessly against whatever I decided wasn't elite a long time ago. DLC can perform the same function as expansions and end up being cheaper. The problem is, like someone said, people putting out DLC that is 5 dollars for something someone slapped together in an afternoon.

MetalCraze

Arcane
commie said:
Yes, REALLY! Find me a fucking speechpack during the CD era then, smartarse.

My first gaming platform had games loaded from a tape and the sound system was a beeper. And then my father bought an expansion soundcard that featured up to three squarewave voices. It even could generate distorted speech yay

The point was that content packs with something small (and "speech packs" were barely anything more than a few minutes of poor voice acting) existed before Oblivion with its horse armour.

There can be good DLCs (like BAF which for $6 gave me more than modern $30-40 expansions). It's just that 99.9% of them are just crap.

sser

Arcane
Developer
I hate the concept as well as how easily gamers will slurp up total garbage for $5 a pop. It is brilliant hucksterism, but hucksterism nonetheless.

Texas Red

Whiner
When you buy a whore, you need to ask yourself if the lubricant, dildoes and condoms are included.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
kingcomrade said:
Unlike certain posters I'm not mindlessly against whatever I decided wasn't elite a long time ago. DLC can perform the same function as expansions and end up being cheaper. The problem is, like someone said, people putting out DLC that is 5 dollars for something someone slapped together in an afternoon.

I think most people -- posturing aside -- agree with this. If something is priced reasonably relative to its content then fine. Unfortunately 90% of DLC today are money grabs.

torpid

Liturgist
Do some developers actually keep already made content out of the game in order to sell it as DLC at a later date? I remember reading something to that effect, though I forgot which developer and which game it was about, but is there any proof or was it just a rumor?

DakaSha

Arcane
Metro said:
kingcomrade said:

I think most people -- posturing aside -- agree with this. If something is priced reasonably relative to its content then fine. Unfortunately 90% of DLC today are money grabs.

I dont see whats wrong with a classic expansion. DLC, even if reasonably priced, is nothing but tiny shit thats hard to keep track of and forces you to either spend way to much money or feel like you are missing something (even if this something is trivial shit).
If the DLC is of the quality/size of a (decent) expansion then thats what it is.. A downloadable expansion.

Personally I just don't see whats wrong with releasing finished games in the first place. :smug:

sser

Arcane
Developer
torpid said:
Do some developers actually keep already made content out of the game in order to sell it as DLC at a later date? I remember reading something to that effect, though I forgot which developer and which game it was about, but is there any proof or was it just a rumor?

Sometimes it is already on the game, and the DLC simply "unlocks" it.

DakaSha

Arcane
sser said:
torpid said:

Sometimes it is already on the game, and the DLC simply "unlocks" it.

If that's true (and fuck me.. it most likely is) then somebody needs to start organizing some hit-squads

Secretninja

Cipher
The only dlc I have ever bought was the knoxx expansion for borderlands, and it was 4.99 and it was actually a decent sized addition to the game.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Secretninja said:
The only dlc I have ever bought was the knoxx expansion for borderlands, and it was 4.99 and it was actually a decent sized addition to the game.

I got it for around $3 and it wasn't that bad although a lot of the time spent was mindless padding in the form of driving from point A to B. I'm trying to recall any modern day DLC I've paid for and outside of that I can't think of anything else but the Fallout 3 stuff but I got that in a discounted GOTY pack.

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
torpid said:

Day one DLC is commonplace, you be the judge.

As for DLC on the disc that you need to pay to unlock, same goes.

I don't mind DLC as an idea, but in practice, even the best of it is £5 for three hours of content instead of £15 for 30 that you'd get out of a good expansion pack. The justification being, of course, that "lol £5 is nothing you'd pay that for a beer and a burger"

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom