Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Roguelikes, Part 1

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
<p>Another <a href="http://rampantgames.com/blog/?p=2664" target="_blank">guest post</a> on Rampant Coyote's blog, this time by one of the RPGWatch guys, covers rogue-likes.</p>
<blockquote>
<p><strong>Ancient Domains of Mystery:</strong> This is the roguelike that smashed any concerns I had with graphics and made me realize when you take away the graphics then you have more time to deal with gameplay. This may seem like common sense to some of you who already have played many roguelikes, but for me I was blown away by just how much there was to do in this game. I regret having judged rogues based on the ASCII art.

ADOM is a whole world with quests, plenty of character building, stories to follow and choices to make. It&rsquo;s closer to a usual RPG than some of the other roguelikes. I&rsquo;ve played. The charatcer building alone will keep you coming back for more. It offers ten different races and twenty different classes.

I&rsquo;ve read that this roguelike is brutal on beginners and while I do agree I don&rsquo;t think of that as a negative. Like other roguelikes it will also punish you through death. It&rsquo;s the main way you learn from your mistakes. If you don&rsquo;t like to read spoilers then you will die and die a lot before you figure out what creatures to be careful of and how to deal with them. Everything you first encounter will be a mystery to you and should be treated with kid gloves until you learn more about them. For me, that is part of the appeal to this roguelike or roguelikes in general. There are creative ways to handle situations. For example: are you low on food? Well try eating that corpse of that monster you just killed, but be aware that meat isn&rsquo;t just meat in this game. There can be some unexpected consequences or bonuses when trying something for the first time.</p>
</blockquote>
<p>Spotted at: <a href="http://www.rpgwatch.com/?rwsiteid=1#17170">RPGWatch</a></p>

ortucis

Prophet
is the roguelike that smashed any concerns I had with graphics and made me realize when you take away the graphics then you have more time to deal with gameplay

:retarded:

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Yeah. Also, the guy expresses the (highly reasonable in the context of roguelikes) view that ASCII is all you need and what does he get? A 'retard' comment? Anyway, the problem is that I guess most people here have played many roguelikes to no end, while not all of them realise they have already played Skyrim by playing Oblivion.

edit: also, I'd advise new ADOM players not to read any guidebooks. Read the manual. Explore. Think. Have fun. It's not punishing for new players, at least not when compared to e.g. Nethack.

Achilles

Arcane
felipepepe said:
Guy talking (once more) about Skyrim -> 83 comments.
Guy talking about Roguelikes -> 1 comment.

Well according to BLOBERT most people here are closet homosexuals (ie they own at least one console but rage against them for the lulz).

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
I wish I haven't finished ADOM. I could play it for next several years.

felipepepe said:
Guy talking (once more) about Skyrim -> 83 comments.
Guy talking about Roguelikes -> 1 comment.

:hmmm:
You can't rage against a guy talking positively about roguelikes.

Elwro said:
Yeah. Also, the guy expresses the (highly reasonable in the context of roguelikes) view that ASCII is all you need and what does he get? A 'retard' comment?
It's a good thread for updating the ignore list.

Topher

Cipher
Well, I love that D&D RL and Doom RL. I just tried out Stone Soup for the first time a few weeks back thanks to that Naga thread. I didn't play much but I'll be going back to it at some point.

Lightknight

Liturgist
I wish I haven't finished ADOM. I could play it for next several years.
If you havent got at least one ultra ending - you havent finished ADOM yet. There's a task for the next five years.

Elwro said:
Yeah. Also, the guy expresses the (highly reasonable in the context of roguelikes) view that ASCII is all you need and what does he get? A 'retard' comment?

When I read it at first without really paying much attention, I thought the quoted part said the PLAYER has more time to deal with gameplay if there are no graphics.

Ortucis probably made the same mistake (because the statement is not only reasonable, but pretty Cpt. Obvious - if you don't have to worry about making models and assets, you can have anything in the game)

skavenhorde

Novice
Hey guys I'm "the guy" who wrote that little introductory article about roguelikes.

I guess I could have been clearer when talking about ASCII and gameplay.

It's probably pretty obvious to most of you that roguelikes are deep meaningful games, but it wasn't to me when I first heard about them. I just took a look at the ASCII screenshots and judged it unfairly. Who knew that there was an awesome game buried underneath those basic graphics? (you guys obviously)

RPGCodex probably won't find anything they don't know already in the articles because its geared towards people who may have heard of them, but don't know anything about them (basically people like me before I played ADOM). I know that there won't be that many people who will read it, but if a few newbies to RL read it and decide to try one out then all the better. If not then who cares? It still was a blast to write and a hell of a lot better than talking about Skyrim ;)

@Elwro Couldn't agree more about finding out for yourself what the game is about except on the topic of food. The guidebook helped me understand the mechanics behind starvation a little better than the manual did.

ortucis

Prophet
Clockwork Knight said:
Elwro said:

When I read it at first without really paying much attention, I thought the quoted part said the PLAYER has more time to deal with gameplay if there are no graphics.

Ortucis probably made the same mistake (because the statement is not only reasonable, but pretty Cpt. Obvious - if you don't have to worry about making models and assets, you can have anything in the game)

Yeah, I wasn't calling the whole article retarded, just to be clear.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
skavenhorde said:
I know that there won't be that many people who will read it, but if a few newbies to RL read it and decide to try one out then all the better. If not then who cares? It still was a blast to write and a hell of a lot better than talking about Skyrim ;)
Couldn't agree more.

:love:

YourDaddy

Educated
Excidium said:
ADOM is p. cool, I wish it had a tileset.

It actually has, in form of external program: Adom Sage. There was also one quite unpopular, but bit fascinating renderer which could display both Adom and DoomRL (DoomRL! Honorable mention) in 2d tile or first person 3d mode. Sorry, don't remember the name.

empi

Augur
anyone played ToME since it changed name? Considering checking it out

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
YourDaddy said:
Excidium said:
ADOM is p. cool, I wish it had a tileset.

It actually has, in form of external program: Adom Sage. There was also one quite unpopular, but bit fascinating renderer which could display both Adom and DoomRL (DoomRL! Honorable mention) in 2d tile or first person 3d mode. Sorry, don't remember the name.
Thanks, I'll take a look.

YourDaddy

Educated
Excidium said:
YourDaddy said:
Thanks, I'll take a look.

Oh well, Sage may not display tiles after all. This is the other renderer I've mentioned:
noteye

empi

Augur
Imo there is no need for tiles for ADOM, it just looks better without, it is the ascii roguelike for graphic whores. It may take a little getting used to, but now, i would much rather play it in the original ascii than any tileset, or some godawful 3d incartion.

Johannes

Arcane
Dunno about guidebook, how many people have actually finished the game without ever consulting it or asking for tips otherwise? Then again it might be better to not beat the game - once you've done it, you can do it again... Even with a weak class if you know the right ways to grind (which you should, with guidebook). Then you have to turn to masochistic time-eaters like doing speedruns to get a thrill out of the game.

Hard to say how ADOM without reading spoilers (or just learning everything myself) would feel like now, it's been so long since I had that.

Shannow

Waster of Time
Johannes said:
Dunno about guidebook, how many people have actually finished the game without ever consulting it or asking for tips otherwise?
The fun is in playing, exploring, understanding, fiddling; not in finishing... I don't understand kids today.

Mackerel

Augur
empi said:
I have, they should have named it Tales of Dragon Age, it even has achievements.

empi

Augur
Mackerel said:
empi said:
I have, they should have named it Tales of Dragon Age, it even has achievements.

:/ Dissapointing. What major (as in pretty much complete roguelikes) are there around atm with the exception of the big few (excluding angband variants because as far as I can see they are just grind-fests)?

Btw, would anyone be interested in a codex ADOMD LP?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom