Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Company News Larian Studios Status Update

Kotep said:
turn_based_fanboy said:
Do we have any info on what those projects are?
Project D follows in the footsteps of Divinity 2, with a stronger focus on the dragon form (since they're considering it as a gameplay element from the beginning instead of adding it later during development). I think that Lar also hinted at some 'thing that it does that's pretty cool'. People at GDC apparently had an even better reaction to it than he'd expected.

Project E is supposed to be more like Divine Divinity with a modern facelift, so more of a click to move Diablo-clone style game (probably) though they pointed out that because of the top-down camera making it easier to create content for the game, they can do a lot more with it than they could if they stuck with the over-the-shoulder Gothic style game that Divinity 2 and Project D are.

Thanks.
Project D certainly sounds like must have for me.

Through I wonder about that wording in the article saying "something for x turns" could a project M be some kind of strategy then ?

Achilles

Arcane
Can't we just ditch the dragon form? It was the worst part of DKS.

Kotep

Novice
Well, the 'point' of Project D is to take the dragon form and make it a good part of the game. They admitted that they didn't design Divinity 2 around being able to turn into a dragon from the beginning, and that they'd missed the mark in trying to get the feel of it right. So with Project D they're trying to make it fun to be a dragon because they're taking the dragon form into consideration from the start.

Murk

Arcane
As lame as some of the islands were, it was still pretty rad to go leaping off a big ass cliff and turn into a dragon before you hit the ground and fly off blasting shit with fire.

DraQ

Arcane
Kotep said:
Well, the 'point' of Project D is to take the dragon form and make it a good part of the game. They admitted that they didn't design Divinity 2 around being able to turn into a dragon from the beginning, and that they'd missed the mark in trying to get the feel of it right. So with Project D they're trying to make it fun to be a dragon because they're taking the dragon form into consideration from the start.
This. It was meh because the implementation was off, not because the idea is bad.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"The youngest of those games is 11 year's old. You should compare modern American RPG's to modern European RPG's.

Back to top "

I'd take the DAs, the MEs, the NWNs (including NWN2 which is newer) over the Gs any day of the week.

Gothic 1 is overrated. G2 is bearable. G3 was fine until it got so boring after awhile it just wasn't worth playing anymore.

"The best exploration games ever made. You were saying?"

No. No, they aren't. Not even close.

Black

Arcane
British dudes made X-Com, Volly, try to beat that.
For the record, Britons are European.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Why would I play a game with such a shitty name as xcum? ffs

Black

Arcane
It's not like you haven't played bladder's gates and such.

bat_boro

Arcane
Volourn said:
"The youngest of those games is 11 year's old. You should compare modern American RPG's to modern European RPG's.

Back to top "

I'd take the DAs, the MEs, the NWNs (including NWN2 which is newer) over the Gs any day of the week.

Gothic 1 is overrated. G2 is bearable. G3 was fine until it got so boring after awhile it just wasn't worth playing anymore.

"The best exploration games ever made. You were saying?"

No. No, they aren't. Not even close.

What? Dragon Age better than any gothic especially since you bring up the word BORING which I think describes the essense of DA? And ME? Well, certainly, ME 2 is as good as Gothic (maybe) if you're into story driven shooters or if your idea of good exploration is running around in maze like corridors and scanning planets for minerals. ME 1 was just terrible, so let's not compare that. And NWN? Well, sure, if we're talking MotB here, it's as good as Gothic I guess. But in no way is any of the games you mentioned better than Gothic. Even the storylines and characters are not better than Gothic, compare the ancient evil rising from any of the Bio games to the ancient evil (dragons for example) in Gothic 2 - they're basically the same!

Now if we're talking about MotB, the story was great, but then again we have Gothic 3 with it's original take on orcs. And the story there was good too, but it was not told the traditional way, the way Bio tells it's story - through their characters - but was rather told through the world itself. Now when you show me any other game that does that and still can keep an interesting story, I may look on your argument seriously (we're talking about exploration games here, and in Gothic 3 the story had to be explored along with the world too rather than spoon fed at certain points of the game!)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom