Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian wants to make a game for you

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
sea said:
Developers live and die by their last game, typically.
Not really, this was brought up in another recent thread, there's a lot of inertia involved. They'd need a steady stream of underperformers.
Unless Obsidian have any sort of deals lined up beyond Dungeon Siege III in the case it bombs, there's actually a very good chance they'll be laying off even more people, and potentially even going out of business altogether.
They'd need those deals anyway, and they do have them; there's the XBLA action RPG coming out early next year and the secret licensed title Feargus couldn't turn down.
Their reputation is enough that Alpha Protocol didn't outright kill them, but you can bet that two major failures within five years would make investors recoil.
AP didn't outright kill them because they were already working on New Vegas and DS3 and publishers usually cancel projects because the one they're funding themselves is too much of a mess or they're having money troubles themselves, not because some unrelated game didn't do so well. I would imagine New Vegas and its 5 million shipped copies and its decent metacritic scores (that publishers' sweet spot where it's high enough to be considered good but low enough to justify not giving any bonuses) made up for any lost confidence.

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
sea said:
Planescape: Annihilation.

How about a game where you play as the Nameless One in the blood war and it will be a third person action rpg very old school of course and there are demon tits every so often because it is a mature game with adult themes and you're saving Annah and Fall from Grace and they have their tits out and you fight demons from plane to plane in memorable enviornments and there are awesome quicktime finishing moves for most enemies and everything you kill gives you Souls which you use to upgrade your tattoos and there are demon chests which you open to replenish your health and mana and each time you kill a major boss you get a new magic item that will unlock abilities like double jump and the ability to petrify your foes

:thumbsup:

Mortmal said:
i want a game that gives me the same entertainement, the same surprise those gave me when i first tried them, or the first time i played x-com , well you get the idea. A new ip a new settings something completely alien,

I forgot all about Deadlands. That would make a great setting to explore, similar to the way Arcanum or Fallout felt. Though, you'd have to be careful about offending people and stepping on anyones toes when you have something that uses American History, Native Americans and Slavery in it. Still, a great, refreshing setting.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
sgc_meltdown said:
sea said:

How about a game where you play as the Nameless One in the blood war and it will be a third person action rpg very old school of course and there are demon tits every so often because it is a mature game with adult themes and you're saving Annah and Fall from Grace and they have their tits out and you fight demons from plane to plane in memorable enviornments and there are awesome quicktime finishing moves for most enemies and everything you kill gives you Souls which you use to upgrade your tattoos and there are demon chests which you open to replenish your health and mana and each time you kill a major boss you get a new magic item that will unlock abilities like double jump and the ability to petrify your foes

Sounds like PS3fag garbage to me. I'd much rather see a game where the Nameless One wears a green suit of powered armour and drives around in an oversized jeep, like the one I had when I was a kid, and blows up aliens from space in defense of Earth and its colonies. It could have an overpowered pistol that doubles as a sniper rifle, sexy naked AIs, and thinly veiled American patriotism.

Arcanoix

Scholar
Mastermind said:
Jasede said:
If Obsidian made a game all of us liked they'd go out of business, like Troika.

True story. :(

There is no game all of usyou will like. Despite codex delusions of being human computers making all decisions based on cold, calculated logic, the codex hive mind has no idea what the fuck it really wants.

BRAVO!!!!! :thumbsup:

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
sea said:
sgc_meltdown said:
sea said:

Sounds like PS3fag garbage to me. I'd much rather see a game where the Nameless One wears a green suit of powered armour and drives around in an oversized jeep, like the one I had when I was a kid, and blows up aliens from space in defense of Earth and its colonies. It could have an overpowered pistol that doubles as a sniper rifle, sexy naked AIs, and thinly veiled American patriotism.
An Xbox fanboy! Quick, shoot him!

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
J_C said:
An Xbox fanboy! Quick, shoot him!

My son it is his kind that funds great roleplay games for like Fable III or Fallout 3 Game of the Year or Dragon Age Origins since PC gaming is dying

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
I'm sure you could find a seat at the Bethesda Studios with these ideas.

Shannow

Waster of Time
sea said:
Gondolin said:
If Obsidian wants to make a game for me, tell them to make PS:Two (no fuckin' first person allowed) or to put their resources at VD's disposal for AoD2.
May 07, Santa Ana - Obsidian Entertainment announce Planescape: Annihilation. Take the fight to the vicious and deadly demonic Abishai, as you uphold the justice of the Nameless Kingdom! In Annihilation, players will explore a unique and beautiful fantasy world from first-person perspective powered by a new iteration of Bethesda's groundbreaking Gamebryo(TM) technology, plunder over 200 different dungeons in search of randomly-generated treasure, and eventually overthrow the evil, malevolent force that threatens all of the Planes in an epic battle that will stand the test of time! Thrilling and visceral action-style real-time combat intertwines with role-playing character development, ensuring that players of all skill levels, ages, and demographics will find something to enjoy.

"The Planescape universe is one of the most beloved of any RPG. We understand that many fans have strong emotional ties to the world, and want to do it justice by preserving what makes it so much fun, while at the same time bringing it to a new audience who may not be so interested in Dungeons & Dragons" said Chris Avellone, project director. "To that end, we've made sure all the hallmarks are there, like sexy tieflings and awesome killer robots. We think players will be thrilled by how we've updated and streamlined the game for the new generation, and the less fortunate minority of PC gamers will be pleased to know we've included things like the ability to change your screen resolution and bindable keys, ensuring their experience is just as wonderful as the lead version on Xbox 360."
Keep this up and I'll consider you to be 2011's Sceptic.

Oh, and I mentioned before what I'd like to see from Obsidian (but never will) but what the heck, it's not like I hate repeating myself:
Torment setting
The Dark Eye character system
TB action point combat in the vein of JA
Playing a mercenary in the Blood War and turning the concept of the Blood War on it's head and being able to play all parties against each other

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Shannow said:
I don't know what this means, although I'm kind of scared that some people apparently can't tell I was joking.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Mortmal said:
I dont want planescape 2 or BG3, you guys have no imagination, you deserves your hiking simulators , no i want a game that gives me the same entertainement, the same surprise those gave me when i first tried them, or the first time i played x-com , well you get the idea.
A new ip a new settings something completely alien, with serious gameplay in, no cinematics except intro and end, gameplay, interactions,meaningfull dialogue tree .
if you really want a license and minimize the risks just pick one quality pen and paper rpg and adapt it, that way you could be sure the core mechanism are good enough.
No not D&D again, i am fed up of elves and dwarves and really the fact that indies like vogel still use those kind of settings is depressing.
So much this.

I still dream with a Mage the Ascension (proper) CRPG. It'll never happen :cry:

sea said:
Shannow said:
I don't know what this means, although I'm kind of scared that some people apparently can't tell I was joking.
Sceptic is a great poster that joined the Codex last year, so what I think Shannow means is that you are the good kind of new member, not an stereotypical newfag. At least that's what I can gather from the comparison.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom