Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Hacking minigame for DE:HR

Pika-Cthulhu

Arcane
You know what the future of minigames will be? Facebook interaction, when you 'win' the FB minigame, you are rewarded with credits/in game items to bypass in game minigames/challenges.

waywardOne

Arcane
a particular minigame shouldn't be played more than once without an increase in difficulty. if i twiddle a "level 1" lock open without breaking a pick, i should be able to automatically open all level 1 locks ever after. anything else is just a frustrating and tedious way to pad the game hours.

Captain Shrek

waywardOne said:
a particular minigame shouldn't be played more than once without an increase in difficulty. if i twiddle a "level 1" lock open without breaking a pick, i should be able to automatically open all level 1 locks ever after. anything else is just a frustrating and tedious way to pad the game hours.

I hope this logic is only true for minigames and not actual gameplay.

Dragula

Augur
Nope, if I kill an enemy without taking damage then all of the same kind should die at the sight of me.

J1M

Arcane
waywardOne said:
Not so, there is fun to be had in acquiring competence and mastery. The enjoyment curve drops off when you have completely mastered it.

MMXI

Arcane
J1M said:
Not so, there is fun to be had in acquiring competence and mastery. The enjoyment curve drops off when you have completely mastered it.
But shouldn't the character be the one to master the art of hacking?

Dionysus

Scholar
MMXI said:
I'm sure that there will be augs that modify the hacking difficulty.

J1M

Arcane
MMXI said:
J1M said:
That's called a movie.

skuphundaku

Economic devastator, Mk. 11
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
This is pretty much an :incline: over all the :decline: I saw up to this point about DX:HR. But, even if this is good, the right way of implementing hacking in a game is this:

http://www.exosyphen.com/index.php?...-hackerevolution-untold/site-screenshot-3.jpg

That is how hacking should be done, if they really wanted quality hacking :). If people can't hack it (pun intended), then they should take the bashing the skulls in route and quit moaning.

Topher

Cipher
Looks like it will take forever which is not a good thing in my book. I mean it's presented almost like a game in itself and I can't be the only one who thinks that's going to get tedious every time I want to bypass a keypad?

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Bleh, minigames don't have place in a Deus ex game. Skill-based hacking and lockpicking is the way to go. How many hacking tools/lockpicks you use should be based on your skill, and of course everything is in real time. Simple, efficient, perfect.

If they had guts they should have added a full-fledged cyberspace world.

skuphundaku said:
This is pretty much an :incline: over all the :decline: I saw up to this point about DX:HR. But, even if this is good, the right way of implementing hacking in a game is this:

http://www.exosyphen.com/index.php?...-hackerevolution-untold/site-screenshot-3.jpg

That is how hacking should be done, if they really wanted quality hacking :). If people can't hack it (pun intended), then they should take the bashing the skulls in route and quit moaning.

Is that Hacker Evolution game as awesome as it looks? Sounds like a fucking brilliant idea for a game, but would really depend on how well the developers could string the plot elements through the hacking puzzles without making the breadcrump trail too obvious.

Topher

Cipher
ghostdog said:
Bleh, minigames don't have place in a Deus ex game. Skill-based hacking and lockpicking is the way to go. How many hacking tools/lockpicks you use should be based on your skill, and of course everything is in real time. Simple, efficient, perfect.

If they had guts they should have added a full-fledged cyberspace world.

That's more or less how I feel about it. I really liked the simple but skill based approach the first Deus Ex took. Ever since I played Bloodnet I've been hoping that another game/developer would take a crack at making a cyber world again.

Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Azrael the cat said:
Is that Hacker Evolution game as awesome as it looks? Sounds like a fucking brilliant idea for a game, but would really depend on how well the developers could string the plot elements through the hacking puzzles without making the breadcrump trail too obvious.

All of the hacker games seem very tedious and sucky to me. Sure, you get to type some commands but voe is you if you are used to conveniences like auto completion, searchable history or other good stuff from bash or other modern shell.

I wouldn't bother unless you are a teenager and have no idea about computers and networks. If you actually have to use command line for a living you'll get at most couple of minutes of laughs out of it.

skuphundaku

Economic devastator, Mk. 11
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Azrael the cat said:

In the beginning they're pretty obvious if you have some experience with networking and/or using a shell on a regular basis. What kills it for me is exactly that: I do have experience with networking and I am using a shell on a regular basis, so it's like going at a magic show and knowing all the tricks in advance. On top of that, some of the things are unrealistic, like, for example, some of the ways you can decrease your trace time, which are glaringly silly if you posses real-life networking knowledge.

It does get more complex after a couple of levels, but the non-networking/shell people probably have difficulty getting that far while the networking/shell people might get ticked off by the aforementioned unrealistic bits.

That being said, I do stand by my implied statement that this is the best hacking game out there.

Yaar Podshipnik said:
All of the hacker games seem very tedious and sucky to me. Sure, you get to type some commands but voe is you if you are used to conveniences like auto completion, searchable history or other good stuff from bash or other modern shell.

I wouldn't bother unless you are a teenager and have no idea about computers and networks. If you actually have to use command line for a living you'll get at most couple of minutes of laughs out of it.

This one has tab completion and some of the commands are standard Unix commands, like ls or cat. It does try to simulate a Unix shell as much as possible without becoming an actual Unix shell. How far one should go trying to simulate a real shell in a hacking game... well, that's the million dollar question. To my knowledge, Hacker Evolution goes the furthest, but that might be too far for some and not far enough for others.

Nevertheless, it would be truly badass if this were the way hacking would be implemented in a cyberpunk game like System Shock or Deus Ex. You would need to balance it properly. Say, for example, have some cool but not essential thing made inaccessible without hacking and having faster alternatives to hacking for more common situations, like EMP charges to disable doors, being able to use a SWAT battering ram to bash in a door, frangible rounds for blowing away door hinges etc.

In Deus Ex 1 when you clicked the hack button, something awesome happened.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom