Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Diablo 3: Followers

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
I think this game will be great.

Captain Shrek

My impression is that the graphics does not look revolutionary IN THIS VIDEO. Mercenaries seem to level (good thing) like in D2. Hopefully they can now be actually commanded. Also, notice different kinds of mercenary classes. A definitely welcome addition over D2 where mercs were guys with swords/bows.

pocahaunted

Arcane
Gotta say I do hate the concept of mercs/followers, hope they are at least somewhat controllable unlike in Diablo 2 due to obvious issues with shitty AI. Still, I'd rather have them scrapped altogether, they just don't appeal to me at all.

pocahaunted said:
Gotta say I do hate the concept of mercs/followers, hope they are at least somewhat controllable unlike in Diablo 2 due to obvious issues with shitty AI. Still, I'd rather have them scrapped altogether, they just don't appeal to me at all.
I liked their usefulness in D2, especially the ActII mercs and their auras. Maybe they'll be more like Guild War's heroes?

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
Black said:
Jasede said:
Looks like Diablo 2 in 3D now.
So... awesome?

No.

Fuck I don't know how anyone can get excited about this crap. Looks horrible. D2 already had bad aesthetics, too much of a bloody mess of colors, this looks even more terrible. They'll never capture the D1 feel again, which I suppose happened because it was a minimalistic game, so it gendered a minimalistic style. Minimalism is what you need for horror. The tone is lost here. The very idea of companions is bullshit and goes agaisnt the style. Looks and feels like a beat em up at this point

Serious_Business said:
Black said:
Jasede said:
Looks like Diablo 2 in 3D now.
So... awesome?

No.

Fuck I don't know how anyone can get excited about this crap. Looks horrible. D2 already had bad aesthetics, too much of a bloody mess of colors, this looks even more terrible. They'll never capture the D1 feel again, which I suppose happened because it was a minimalistic game, so it gendered a minimalistic style. Minimalism is what you need for horror. The tone is lost here. The very idea of companions is bullshit and goes agaisnt the style. Looks and feels like a beat em up at this point
D2 had its areas that were well done. Act IV and many portions of Act III were very well done (Durance of Hate especially). That said, D1's atmosphere is light years ahead of D2.

pocahaunted

Arcane
The Ninth Circle said:
pocahaunted said:
I liked their usefulness in D2, especially the ActII mercs and their auras. Maybe they'll be more like Guild War's heroes?

Yeah, but they were also extremely cheesy and gimmicky. I remember getting the A3 frost merc that freezes every single enemy with its main attack, an aoe spell, enabling me to plow through normal in HC without even needing to look at the screen. Beyond this they were fairly lacking, though, due to the terribad AI, plus I feel that having to rely on mercs as buffs bots is, arguably, pretty bad design.

Oh well, I'll just ignore them as much as possible, like I did in D2.

1eyedking

Erudite
Serious_Business said:
Fuck I don't know how anyone can get excited about this crap. Looks horrible. D2 already had bad aesthetics, too much of a bloody mess of colors, this looks even more terrible. They'll never capture the D1 feel again
Fuck yeah! Preach on, brother!

Serious_Business said:
which I suppose happened because it was a minimalistic game, so it gendered a minimalistic style. Minimalism is what you need for horror. The tone is lost here. The very idea of companions is bullshit and goes agaisnt the style. Looks and feels like a beat em up at this point
LOLWUT

MMXI

Arcane
fizzelopeguss said:
Graphics are getting worse with each video, i don't get it.
That's because the video showed the Xbox 360 version.

pocahaunted

Arcane
fizzelopeguss said:
Graphics are getting worse with each video, i don't get it.

I have to agree, that's something I also noticed almost immediately.

I'm kinda baffled, really, the NPC models look progressively bad. Thought it was a slight bias on my part, that's why I didn't even mention it at first.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Looks good, but it utterly baffles me how Blizzard are able to spend such ridiculous amounts of time and money on games that other, much smaller developers, can easily put out in a fifth of the time. I understand that larger companies means more quality control, more bureaucracy, more cooks in the kitchen, more testing and iteration, but seriously, guys, this game should have come out like two years ago.

Dezzy

Novice
Graphics looked bad, art style looks almost exactly like WoW.
I'm sure it'll be a ton of fun to play, but the graphics and art in that video are really disappointing.

Let's hope Dungeon Siege 3 does action-rpg right! :?

Castanova

Prophet
sea said:
Looks good, but it utterly baffles me how Blizzard are able to spend such ridiculous amounts of time and money on games that other, much smaller developers, can easily put out in a fifth of the time. I understand that larger companies means more quality control, more bureaucracy, more cooks in the kitchen, more testing and iteration, but seriously, guys, this game should have come out like two years ago.

Blizzard play-tests prototypes and development builds way more than other places. Any kind of RPG should be play-tested to death throughout the process and I bet most aren't given how poorly balanced almost all modern RPGs are.

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
We'll see when its released. Its a given purchase given its development time but we all know this is Diablo 2 with better graphics and more streamlined gameplay. Its not a second(third) coming of the ultimate A-RPG but its gonna be playable atleast. After Din's Curse nothing impresses me these days. D3 could be a riot if it had half of the features Dins Curse has.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Din's Curse did the procedurally generated stuff well but it's basically just a flat out grind fest. I would hope a $60 Blizzard title would have a lot more polish in terms of story, depth, etc.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Metro said:
Din's Curse did the procedurally generated stuff well but it's basically just a flat out grind fest. I would hope a $60 Blizzard title would have a lot more polish in terms of story, depth, etc.

You can bet it will have polish in all areas... other than story that is. After all they test and test and test. Nice change compared to other developers, of course, but one can argue with their priorities. Or one COULD argue were they not the most successful gaming company ever.

xemous

Arcane
fizzelopeguss said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbsODnb1VYo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6_eZgxW ... ideo_title

those videos look miles better, still something a bit off though.

blizzard is pure genius, they captured the hack and slasher perfectly, no other game has done it right since.

TO ASPIRING GAME DEVELOPERS

u must induce a trance in the player. this requires atmosphere (visuals and sound), relaxing repetive gameplay that can be unconsciously automotised. a rhythm if u will.

u must break the trance occasionally there must be a gamblers chance of interesting UNIQUE-styled loot, monsters, lore, quests, environments etc.

if you induce a trance for too long it will slip from relaxation and reflection of inner thoughts to boredom.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom