Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Planescape Torment II announced! - Not quite, but...

Karmapowered

Augur
Feargus Urquhart is thinking about it :

Obsidian Entertainment CEO Feargus Urquhart has touched upon the possibility of Planescape: Torment 2

Planescape: Torment launched in 1999 - when asked what past Obsidian properties he would like to revisit, Urquhart told Play Magazine: “There are almost no games in my past that I wouldn’t want to go back and make a sequel to. It’s hard though.”

So what does this mean for the chances of a sequel to the adored PC RPG, Planescape: Torment? Urquhart was surprisingly candid: “I remember right after finishing Planescape: Torment I spoke to Chris Avellone [Obsidian creative director] and asked what he wanted to do, and he was like, ‘I don’t wanna do a sequel!’ We haven’t talked about it in ten years, but it might be different now. But a lot of revisiting old games is about saying, ‘okay, that worked in 1999, what would work now?’ And how would you do it again?”

“It would have to be done right, otherwise the fans of the original would be pissed off”

But while it’s not entirely off the table, Urquhart does have concerns that would have to be addressed: “We’d have to think a lot about it, because it would have to be done right, otherwise the fans of the original would be pissed off and new people wouldn’t get it. That would be terrible.”

Pick up a copy of Play issue 205, on sale May 12, to see the rest of Urquhart’s thoughts, feelings and musings. The interview touches on Obsidian’s past, present and future, the studio’s reputation for releasing buggy product and an impromptu post-mortem of Alpha Protocol, among many other subjects. It’s six genuinely interesting pages you can’t afford to miss.

Play is available from the Imagine Shop, in good newsagents and supermarkets near you as well as on iDevices by searching for Play Magazine on the iTunes Store.

To what purpose ? How could one do better than best ? Importing awesome buttons into Sigil ?

Creating a sequel to a game that has a special place in many of a gamer's heart, and is such a clusterfuck of licences, seems such a no-win risky business to me that I wonder why they don't come up with their own IP instead.

If anyone could pull it off though, it would be Obsidian.

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
more like PlanESCAPE from the Blood War, am I rite

And saying that you want to make it so that new people would get it and old fans would approve iis like writing a sequel to a book and being afraid that new people wouldn't understand it and making modifications to your writing style.

Karmapowered

Augur
Clockwork Knight said:
Karmapowered said:
To what purpose ? How could one do better than best?

Well, if you're gonna think like that, you might as well stop making games. Before PST, there was something else on the "best" spot.

Well, a sequel to a game needs to provide improvements, and especially further develop the story.

I think a lot of people would love to see another game in the same setting, just not a sequel to a game that could be seen as a whole already.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
If they make a sequel to PS:T, they should take a clue from the early silent hill games. Silent hill 2 was a self-contained story apart from silent hill 1.

That said, if they could make a decent(ish) 4E D&D engine*, keep it isometric and have a new planehopping romp out of sigil, I'd be all for it. so long as TNO, Anna, Morte, FFG etc. aren't given more than a cameo tops. A fresh story is the way to go here, not trying to squeeze the story already told in PS:T. Having a subquest or two dealign with the fallout from somehting TNO did could be a nice tip of the hat to fans of the original though.

*While I abhor 4E as a pen&paper system, it could actually work sort of well as a computer game system. It already tries really hard to be a turn-based MMO. Battles are typically a bit more tactical as well, which is a plus. They just take too damn long to resolve in a pen&paper setting.

Micmu

Magister
More like a deep-troll.
NO ONE is going to make another D&D cRPG.
Ever.
Let alone Planescape one.

It's way too hardcore for today's "RPG" standards. They even have stats LOL!

Karmapowered

Augur
Ulminati said:
If they make a sequel to PS:T, they should take a clue from the early silent hill games. Silent hill 2 was a self-contained story apart from silent hill 1.

That said, if they could make a decent(ish) 4E D&D engine*, keep it isometric and have a new planehopping romp out of sigil, I'd be all for it. so long as TNO, Anna, Morte, FFG etc. aren't given more than a cameo tops. A fresh story is the way to go here, not trying to squeeze the story already told in PS:T. Having a subquest or two dealign with the fallout from somehting TNO did could be a nice tip of the hat to fans of the original though.

*While I abhor 4E as a pen&paper system, it could actually work sort of well as a computer game system. It already tries really hard to be a turn-based MMO. Battles are typically a bit more tactical as well, which is a plus. They just take too damn long to resolve in a pen&paper setting.

Agreed.

There's also a lot that could be said about the TFQ :

lady.jpg

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
I really, really, really do not want this to happen. Not because it's doomed to failure, but because it's the game that least feels like it needs a sequel out of pretty much any I can think of, and it will never, ever live up to the insane expectations people would hold it to. I also really don't think you could pull off another game with a 5000 page script, partially because of current market conditions and partially just because I don't know if Obsidian have the money to make such a huge game, unless they restrict it to 2D and a low budget.

What I would be accepting of, mind you, is another game set in the Planescape universe, because the possibilities are damn near endless. I just don't want to see... well, I made that fake press release about Planescape: Annihilation awhile ago, and... yeah.

Karmapowered

Augur
micmu said:
More like a deep-troll.
NO ONE is going to make another D&D cRPG.
Ever.
Let alone Planescape one.

It's way too hardcore for today's "RPG" standards. They even have stats LOL!

Daggerdale

I don't think it will be any worthwhile D&D experience, of course, but if a couple of such games and the Indie scene work at preserving the genre from decline disappearing, one day it may spark again the interest of some big players.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
PST - even its writing - isn't perfect so absolutely it can be improved upon. Any moran who thinks otherwise is a moran.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
Volourn said:
PST - even its writing - isn't perfect so absolutely it can be improved upon. Any moran who thinks otherwise is a moran.

By video game industry standards? It's perfect.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
No.

You seem to changing the definition of of perfect. Why?

Arcanoix

Scholar
There are FEW who are "not sequel" kind of guys. They tend to be the better designers because they tell a story and they END the story. Very few games do this as once the story is over they can't exploit it as a franchise.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Arcanoix said:
There are FEW who are "not sequel" kind of guys. They tend to be the better designers because they tell a story and they END the story.
The master himself:

tim-schafer.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom