Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Witcher Officialsky Witcherovda 2 Impressiovna Threadskaia

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Havoc said:
Mastermind said:
phelot said:
Eh... all this confirms is that a console player is retarded

He's a PC player! :x

No, he isn't. He even says that TW2 is his first PC game.

What difference does it make? He's playing on the PC, ergo he's now a PC gamer as well. Also, it's not true anyway, he has TF2 videos before witcher videos and say THAT is his first PC game too.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
phelot said:
Mastermind said:
phelot said:
Eh... all this confirms is that a console player is retarded

He's a PC player! :x

Eh... all this confirms is that there are retarded players on all platforms.

A day of playing just about any PC game online with other people should confirm that. :smug:

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I tried TW2 with gamepad. Although the movint/fighting is a bit more comfortable with it, the menu navigation is just awful. I'll stick to the M+KB in this case.

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
phelot said:
Well, fuck you all because this shit is essentially a console game :lol: I know you guys don't want it to be so, but fuck me if it isn't.

1. Console shit.
2. Console gamer has problems playing the shit.
3. ???
4. PROFIT!
:retarded:

Phelot

Arcane
Havoc said:
phelot said:
Well, fuck you all because this shit is essentially a console game :lol: I know you guys don't want it to be so, but fuck me if it isn't.

1. Console shit.
2. Console gamer has problems playing the shit.
3. ???
4. PROFIT!
:retarded:

:roll: Well, if it makes you feel any better, than it's a PC game disguised as a console game. I :salute: their efforts.

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
Mrowak said:
Mind you, I liked the game very much. It's just those little things + little annoying plot inconsistencies
Neither Letho or the comic-strips never mentioning the name of the assassin that died in TW1's outro while describing who were the others, plenty of things like that)

Believe me, I tried to warn them about that one!

Mrowak said:
Could you also clarify one thing for me regarding the Wild Hunt from the books?

When was it established that Eredin's Red Riders (Dearg Ruadhri) and the Wild Hunt are one and the same? My memory is fuzzy and I can't find the proper passage in 'The Lady of the Lake' now.

I would clarify if I only remembered that myself. But I'm 100% sure it *was* established somewhere in that book.

1eyedking

Erudite
Futile Rhetoric said:
1eyedking said:
This:
= Art.

This:
= not Art.
Do tell why.
One has an awesome portrayal of Virgil as an exponent of rationality and guidance, oblivious of the chaos around him, his eyes fearlessly cast on the horizon ready to guide Dante through the devilish pits of hell. His mouth is covered by his tunic which is a great composition decision since it focuses all the attention on his stare.

Dante is in the background taking hold of Virgil as he stares at two men viciously attacking each other in a very animal fashion for no apparent reason, completely devoid of any humanity.

The flying devil is kind of meh, though.

The other is just a girl...eating something. He managed to capture some of the innocence of children and that day-dreaming haziness one associates with ideal ruralism, but there's no glimpse of genius, nor any careful observation or portrayal of the human nature or condition. Check this other painting for a much more acute observation, the woman's troubled face in the background is key to explaining the tacit worry and pain of watching the child arranged as a Napoleonic emperor even if he's an infant and just playing: what do you see, an innocent child, or a future tyrant?

William-Adolphe+Bouguereau+_1825-1905_+-+Return+from+the+Harvest+_1878_.jpg

Captain Shrek

Futile Rhetoric said:
1eyedking said:
This:
= Art.

This:
= not Art.
Do tell why.

Not addressed to me but for Musashi's sake!

1) AdkhshY&^&^*USIOAUSA*&

2) I can count to potato.

3) Honey, I am home!

4) To be or not to be?

5) When power becomes gracious and descends into the visible — such descent I call beauty. And there is nobody from whom I want beauty as much as from you who are powerful: let your kindness be your final self-conquest. Of all evil I deem you capable: therefore I want the good from you. Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws.

Were you even trying????

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
I think I know what they meant by unique endings. Every ending looks the same:
Geralt with his friend/s leaves Loc and later looks at the city from a cliff.
But
The politics and who gets to live and who dies are crucial. I finished Roche side with saving the young "soon-to-be" princess and it was different in means of C&C than my Iorweth play.
I think it's all making fundaments for the next Witcher game and as you can see we have more than the North Kingdoms on our heads:
The Wild Hunt, a bunch of elves from another world hunt for people who have a superior genome/gene/DNA/whatever. What do they need it for? We don't know yet. Maybe breed the superelf? Or a being of great power.

The winter is coming as was foretold in TW1. This can be a great problem for Kaedwen and Redania. I can guess than even for Temeria and Aedirn.

The last and most important in shaping the world. The Blacks are invading.

Can't wait for TW3. This is how you make grounds for a next instalment in the series, not like DA or ME.

a budda

Arbiter
guys, you're faggots

act 3 is short but can't be longer in the circumstances
the ending is good barring the retarded dragon fight

great replayability value - need to see the other (iorweth/roche) path
loads of things missed and maybe could have done differently
finished with 34 level or sth so you can max only one and less than a half branch

damn, maybe i'll go get some sleep and start again tomorrow :)

8/10 for stupidified alchemy and trade (schematics 450orens, ready stuff 460; buy at 500, sell at 5) and shitty polish voiceovers and too few side-quests
also, took me about 35 hours i guess, i want at least fucking 60 in mah rpgs FUUU

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Grunker said:
MicoSelva said:
Grunker said:
It is the last sentence I see in him in the first game also. I certainly don't see him as "whiny".
Ok. Must be a perception failure on my part then. He just seems to me a lot less able to take care of himself in the games than in the books. It's a very subjective opinion, as I was am pretty butthurt about all the lore rape happening in the first game both games. I guess I'm not the first choice to write an impartial review here.

I think it's a question of perspective, not that any of us are wrong. I started with TW1, then read The Last Wish and Blood of Elves because I liked the game, then played TW1 again.

Also, I don't think the game has writing nearly as good as the books. BUT, considering the standards of writing in gaming in general, especially when it comes to games built on movies or literature, I think The Witcher is one of the best examples of a game that actually tries to adhere to the book.

You see lorerape, and I concur, somewhat. But it's not even close to the amount of lorerape we're used to from the industry. That make sense?

I haven't played TW2 mind you. But generally it seems the creators of TW1 actually like, have read, and attempted to understand the universe of The Witcher, and the philosophy and the important discussions within it. They may not succeed nearly as well as the books, but they certainly seem to try. That's more than can be said of many other games (or sequels in the film- and book-industry at least).
You are probably right. The amount of lore-rape is very mild, compared to other titles. Some characters have altered age and slightly different personalities = not a big deal. Except The Witcher books are one of the staples on which I've built my view of fantasy literature. The first good and memorable fantasy series I've read, not counting Tolkien. I've learned to compare everything to this series and am still looking for another that I will like as much (recently bought Song of Ice And Fire, maybe that will help). Basically, The Witcher books are my PST in fantasy literature, so I can be rather fanboyish about them.

Writers of the first game did a rather good job - relatively - when compared to many other games. The main writer was other Polish fantasy author named Jacek Komuda. I haven't read many of his books and rather dislike those which I did read. The first Witcher's story did not strike me as particularly good or well thought out. I had the feeling that every element I like is borrowed or shamelessly recycled from the books (The Professor was someone Geralt already killed, ffs), and the new added ones are not very interesting, or just plain stupid. Seriously, an army of mutants (in mah Witchah!)? And when did they have time to grow exactly?
Now Komuda is gone from the staff. I have yet to see if that's good or bad.

Playing the second game I stopped treating it as a sequel to the books, but more like a high-budget fan fiction. That allows me to enjoy the game for the game itself, not as a part of The Witcher "franchise". And I am enjoying it - when I don't think about game's Dendelion being the same person books' Dandelion.

I guess I just said I consider The Witcher 2 "good for what it is". :lol:

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
:lol:

On another note, good luck with your fantasy search. So far I've only found two fantasy series worth a damn - The Witcher and A Song of Ice and Fire (the latter being the most well-written).

Everything else in the genre is braindead entertainment compared. Not that that's a bad thing, mind you. I like Death's Gate quite a bit, for example.

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Grunker said:
:lol:

On another note, good luck with your fantasy search. So far I've only found two fantasy series worth a damn - The Witcher and A Song of Ice and Fire (the latter being the most well-written).

Everything else in the genre is braindead entertainment compared. Not that that's a bad thing, mind you. I like Death's Gate quite a bit, for example.

Well, there's fantasy and there's Fantasy.

It's true that most of the genre is simply pulp fiction for the brainded masses. There are still things of some value though for instance

- Black Company by Glen Cook
- The Wizard of the Earthsea Saga by U.K. LeGuin
- anything by Gaiman especially: Good Omens, Coraline, Neverwhere, Dream Hunters, Sandman
- anything by Pratchett - the Discworld series and more.

These are from more well-known authors.

True that Gaiman and Pratchett are not into your 'generic' fantasy worlds, but no reason not to check them out.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
OH SHI-

Totally forgot Pratchett :oops:

Which is even more akward considering I just finished reading Reaper Man. His first works are the best though... I don't think some of his later is quite up to scratch. He seems to run out of ideas.

Data4

Arcane
Another observation about that wraith fog part that I asked about earlier with the whispers I thought sounded like they were from Morrowind. Some of the dying wraith sounds are Wilhelm screams. They're heavily filtered, but I'm about 95% sure its them.

I was enjoying this greatly and now came to the point in Chapter 2 where it seems like the only way to progress in main story is to win at dice and I am really fucking pissed. I've never touched the dice in TW1 or real life and I don't fucking want to. Can anyone tip me in on it? How many times do I have to win? So far that dwarf is winning 5:0. Fuck you CD Project, fuck you very much. You could at least made several ways to progress in that part. Some obnoxious dwarf is standing in the way of lifting a big ass curse that is killing lots of folk and I can't even kick his ass? No, I have to roll the dice.

Data4 said:
Another observation about that wraith fog part that I asked about earlier with the whispers I thought sounded like they were from Morrowind. Some of the dying wraith sounds are Wilhelm screams. They're heavily filtered, but I'm about 95% sure its them.

Don't exactly remember the whispers in Morrowind, but a lot of them sound very similar to Doom 3 when monsters spawn. :lol:

grotsnik

Arcane
Multidirectional said:
I was enjoying this greatly and now came to the point in Chapter 2 where it seems like the only way to progress in main is to win at dice and I am really fucking pissed. I've never touched the dice in TW1 or real life and I don't fucking want to. Can anyone tip me in on it? How many times do I have to win? So far that dwarf is winning 5:0. Fuck you CD Project, fuck you very much.

Just once. So it isn't a hassle, really, though it makes the whole idea of winning an ancient artifact over two dice rolls pretty ridiculous.

Also, Mieville, fantasy-fiction-bashing comrades. Mieville.

grotsnik said:
Just once. So it isn't a hassle, really, though it makes the whole idea of winning an ancient artifact over two dice rolls pretty ridiculous.

Ok, if it's just once then I'll keep clicking that shit until I succeed I guess.

Yep, won 1 out of 8. Dwarf commented that I play really sharp. Almost like a cheat.. Hmm..

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Mrowak said:
Well, there's fantasy and there's Fantasy.

It's true that most of the genre is simply pulp fiction for the brainded masses. There are still things of some value
Let's see...

- Black Company by Glen Cook
Haven't read it. Will look into, thanks for the recommendation.
- The Wizard of the Earthsea Saga by U.K. LeGuin
Fuck damnit, that was boring. I only read the first book and literally suffered through it. I never leave a book unfinished, but tend to read slower the more I dislike it. A Wizard of Earthsea took me around six months, and it's not even that long of a book (200 pages maybe?).
- anything by Gaiman especially: Good Omens, Coraline, Neverwhere, Dream Hunters, Sandman
True, Gaiman is good, but he did not create a 'series' per se. Not that there's anything wrong with that.
- anything by Pratchett - the Discworld series and more.
What Grunker said. Some of the early books are really great, but later ones are basically printed popcorn - You read them mostly because of inertia gained during the previous ones.

EDIT:
grotsnik said:
Also, Mieville, fantasy-fiction-bashing comrades. Mieville.
Care to elaborate?

el Supremo

Augur
Patron
bonescraper said:
Gerrard said:
What the fuck? How much money did you have in that save? I only had around 500 in TW2.
Over 275000. Yep, it's not a typo... :? It's pretty game breaking.
How did you do that? The save I imported have had about ten thousand orens. And after I started chapter 1 I got about one thosand orens, and none of the items I have gathered in Witcher 1, apart form Arondight, D’yaebel and Crow Armor. WTF?

a budda

Arbiter
Gordon Freeman said:
bonescraper said:
Gerrard said:
What the fuck? How much money did you have in that save? I only had around 500 in TW2.
Over 275000. Yep, it's not a typo... :? It's pretty game breaking.
How did you do that? The save I imported have had about ten thousand orens. And after I started chapter 1 I got about one thosand orens, and none of the items I have gathered in Witcher 1, apart form Arondight, D’yaebel and Crow Armor. WTF?

haha, probably visited swamps too often

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom