Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian: We would make Alpha Protocol 2

AP was easily the worst game I've ever finished. And the only reason I finished it was because it was so short. But yeah, another horrible sequel would probably finish off Obsidian as a developer, so I fully encourage the endeavor.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
not an artichoke said:
Demnogonis Saastuttaja said:
A colon tumour would be a better game than Alpha Protocol, how's that for communication.

Holy shit. YOU ARE A GENIUS.

Best new game idea ever:

You are cancer.

You begin as a single mutant cell. Your mission: Multiply and grow into a malignant tumour which kills your host, with extra points for pain inflicted, disability achieved, etc.

The challenge at first is to avoid being killed off by the body's immune system, and then as the game progresses you face increasing levels of difficulty as chemotherapy, radiation, and even outright surgery come at you. You have to think strategically when you decide where to expand - do you go straight for a major organ, or do you focus your efforts on long-term viability in case you are detected early?

This could be big, guys.

http://awfulgames.com/2010/09/25/online ... -infection

Radisshu

Prophet
AP was a good cinematic action game with stats, fuck you people.

Not sure if I would call it an RPG though.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
People who hate AP with a passion but fap to Twitcher 2 24/7 are a bunch of fucking hypocrites.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Darth Roxor said:
People who hate AP with a passion but fap to Twitcher 2 24/7 are a bunch of fucking hypocrites.
Not really. Alpha Protocol is buggy, has near-broken AI and mediocre gameplay. It's got a good story and characters (or at least, it's told well), but it's not exactly what I'd call fun to play. At least The Witcher 2's core gameplay is pretty involving, and usually quite entertaining. Why is there this idea that people who like game X have to like game Y because they have some similar traits? Just because I like choice and consequence doesn't mean I'll love putting up with sloppy, broken gameplay to get to it (for the record, I enjoyed Alpha Protocol, but in spite of its many flaws; I don't see myself ever touching it again since it's just not very fun).

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
sea said:
Is buggy, has near-broken AI and mediocre gameplay. It's got a good story and characters (or at least, it's told well)

Sounds like Twitcher 2 :yeah:

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
J_C said:
Bring it on Obsidian. It will probably fail financially, but I will love you for it. :love:
This. I'd prefer if they left it for when they're really fucked as a company though. If they're gonna die anyway and their sendoff is AP 2 then they've got nothing to lose anymore and I will love them for it. But I don't want them to make a game that could kill them when the company has a good chance of staying afloat.

DriacKin said:
Fucking hell... What's next? Obsidian announcing Storms of Zehir 2?
:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

IronicNeurotic

Arbiter
sea said:
Darth Roxor said:
Not really. Alpha Protocol is buggy, has near-broken AI and mediocre gameplay. It's got a good story and characters (or at least, it's told well), but it's not exactly what I'd call fun to play. At least The Witcher 2's core gameplay is pretty involving, and usually quite entertaining. Why is there this idea that people who like game X have to like game Y because they have some similar traits? Just because I like choice and consequence doesn't mean I'll love putting up with sloppy, broken gameplay to get to it (for the record, I enjoyed Alpha Protocol, but in spite of its many flaws; I don't see myself ever touching it again since it's just not very fun).

The same can be said about two games in codex holy trinity (Arcanum, PS:T)

Captain Shrek

IronicNeurotic said:
The same can be said about two games in codex holy trinity (Arcanum, PS:T)

And Alpha Protocol is not in fact as buggy as it is made out to be. It has hardly 4,5 significant bugs that break the game. And I am exaggerating.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
I'd LP the fuck out of it if they could make the dialogue less fast-paced.

Uncle Feargus said:
We would like to make Alpha Proctocol 2, or Planescape: Torment 2, or NWN3, or KOTOR3, or really if you want any kind of game done, we'd like to do it, please?

We'll work for food.

Sounds like they missed the F:NV train ride to bigger and better things.

Darth Roxor said:

Really? Because I see very few similarities between the two games. One is a "spy thriller" with horrible, easier than shit combat with broken skills to the point that they make the game pointless. It's a corridor shooter shooter with horrible environments and level design, with a bright quest compass that points you exactly, directly, to every single objective.

The Witcher 2 is not without it's flaws, but they don't hold a candle to the horrid piece of shit that is AP. It's combat isn't well balanced, but it's decent enough ARPG fare, and the story isn't told in the overly "cinematic" manner of AP. On top of that, the skills are all pretty useful (although Quen is a bit overpowered), the progression benefits all three trees relatively equally (as opposed to the ridiculously overpowered Pistol+Stealth combo), and the environments and encounters are well designed. Couple that with the variety of ways to take on encounters, the need to prepare, and at least early on, the challenge of combat, it puts it miles ahead of that piece of shit AP.

I also don't understand how the two games are even remotely related. Their gameplay isn't similar in the least, and TW2 has some significant C&C (with an actually different game based on your decisions) as opposed to palette swaps based on your decisions. But hey, Obshititards will keep defending that piece of shit until the cows come home.

torpid

Liturgist
When it comes to sequels I'd prefer that Obsidian pursue the Icewind Dale 3 route even if it ends up semi-raping an old series rather than turning AP into their next franchise. And it's always funny reading Feargus name-dropping the Black Isle classics for street cred.

MCA
not an artichoke said:
Demnogonis Saastuttaja said:
A colon tumour would be a better game than Alpha Protocol, how's that for communication.

Holy shit. YOU ARE A GENIUS.

Best new game idea ever:

You are cancer.

You begin as a single mutant cell. Your mission: Multiply and grow into a malignant tumour which kills your host, with extra points for pain inflicted, disability achieved, etc.

The challenge at first is to avoid being killed off by the body's immune system, and then as the game progresses you face increasing levels of difficulty as chemotherapy, radiation, and even outright surgery come at you. You have to think strategically when you decide where to expand - do you go straight for a major organ, or do you focus your efforts on long-term viability in case you are detected early?

This could be big, guys.

Not funny because it's been done. As a flash game but still. It was fun too.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Flying Spaghetti Monster said:
Really? Because I see very few similarities between the two games. One is a "spy thriller" with horrible, easier than shit combat with broken skills to the point that they make the game pointless. It's a corridor shooter shooter with horrible environments and level design, with a bright quest compass that points you exactly, directly, to every single objective.

And the other is an action game with easier than shit and broken to the point of stupidity combat where you need two buttons to win. Also, both are absolutely on the same level of RPG mechanics (read: almost non-existent)

It's combat isn't well balanced, but it's decent enough ARPG fare

R00fles!

and the story isn't told in the overly "cinematic" manner of AP.

WITCHER, OVER HERE! (cutscene)
WE NEED YOU TO DO THIS OR WE ARE DOOMED (cutscene)
WELL DONE WITCHER (cutscene)
OSHIT PLOT TWIST (cutscene)
EVERYTHING STARTS 'SPLODIN (cutscene)
QTE FIST FIGHT (cutscene)

On top of that, the skills are all pretty useful (although Quen is a bit overpowered)

'A bit' is a gigantic fucking understatement.

Couple that with the variety of ways to take on encounters, the need to prepare, and at least early on, the challenge of combat, it puts it miles ahead of that piece of shit AP.

R00fles! Challenge if you have one hand, maybe.

And if your 'variety of ways to take on encounters' means 'DO I USE YRDEN OR A BOMB OR IDDQD QUEN, OH MY GOD DECISIONS', then you can say the same thing about AP.

I also don't understand how the two games are even remotely related.

Both are CYOAs going from pretty cutscene to pretty cutscene with horribly imbalanced combat systems somewhere in the middle, masquerading as rpgs.

At least AP has no QTEs :smug:

At least AP has no QTEs

But it does have mini-games.

And look, I can totally get why someone wouldn't like TW2. If you're not a fan of the combat mechanics, storyline, the characters, etc., then yeah, you're not going to like the game. But saying that there are similarities between AP and TW2 beyond the ARPG moniker strikes me as ridiculous, and the objective quality of the product from the two companies is evident. AP was a low quality product, while the Witcher 2, with it's flaws, is well crafted and high quality. Any distaste with TW2 has to be due to the nature of the product itself, while many (although not all) of the problems of AP are directly tied to the poor design.

Darth Roxor said:
I also don't understand how the two games are even remotely related.

Both are CYOAs going from pretty cutscene to pretty cutscene with horribly imbalanced combat systems somewhere in the middle, masquerading as rpgs.

At least AP has no QTEs :smug:

Gotta say I agree. TW2 absolutely takes the crown for the most unbalanced combat/progression, beating AP by a fair bit.

The first boss fight with Letho was initially challenging (on hard) until I discovered that I could end it in a few seconds with throwing knives. Same for the Draug. Over in 5 seconds.

For groups: dancing star with +100% bomb damage perk.

Pretty buggy too with Geralt frequently locking up, especially after casting Axii.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom