Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Escapist magazine gives 3,5/5 for The Witcher 2

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
There are legitimate things to criticize in Witcher 2 (a lot of which people here are happy to gloss over despite complaining about it in other games); however, as pointed out, what the reviewers are complaining about aren't legitimate points and just them being moronic.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
VG might be limited, but at least you can get some idea of the bare MINIMUM sold and it tends to plot trends over a longer period fairly accurately. You can clearly see how by the third week, DA2 flatlined while DA:O only started to taper off after 9 weeks. Here's hoping that TW2 has at least 5-6 weeks before leveling out. If they do that then they'll break a million and more easily. Since TW1 did it, why not this? DA:O had a much bigger marketing machine to keep it in the public eye so I don't expect TW2 to be able to compete for so long, but who knows?

Captain Shrek

Jaesun said:
vgchartz figures are not accurate and mean nothing. Just FYI.

Reminder people: There are extremists on both sides of the fence.

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
Futile Rhetoric said:
Those vgchartz figures don't include direct download sales. These should be quite significant.
More like very significant.

Angthoron

Arcane
Jaesun said:

Well, I actually did say that it's pretty inaccurate when linking, but for the lack of a better reference I think it serves its purpose. TW2 had a strong launch comparable (to say the least) to the recent AAA games with EA's backing, that's all I wanted to show with it. The fact that digital downloads numbers are missing (Steam alone should be a major factor) is certainly important, of course, and we have to see what Week 2 will look like to have some sort of guesstimate of the popularity, buuut. The very approximate numbers look fairly good when compared to the other very approximate numbers.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Jaesun said:
Although it is not accurate, it shows a trend, and we can compare those.

SlowLane

Novice
3.5 / 5 looks about right for TWitcher2. This pains me, but...

Witcher2-1.jpg

Lesifoere

Liturgist
I'd be curious with regards to how many copies of TW2 were sold on GOG, because the percentage of the money that goes directly to CDPR would be much, much higher than sales made on Steam or anywhere else.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Lesifoere said:
I'd be curious with regards to how many copies of TW2 were sold on GOG, because the percentage of the money that goes directly to CDPR would be much, much higher than sales made on Steam or anywhere else.

This time, I have to facepalm on retards for buying digital copies of TW2 elsewhere than GOG - DRM free version. *Is downloading from GoG at the moment*

MetalCraze

Arcane
Jaesun said:
The Escapist should change it's name to Moran Consoletard Central.

Because it gave an "above average" rating to a dumbed down console game?

The Codex logic in action

Or I guess Escapist should've given it 11/10 - then the consoletards here would agree?

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity
MetalCraze said:
Jaesun said:

Or I guess Escapist should've given it 11/10 - then the consoletards here would agree?

Says the guy to whom the peak of action game is Devil May Cry 4. :roll: Cryway. You've become tiresome. You have no bloody clue what you are talking about yet again, and still you persist in spitting bullshit desperately trying to blindly hit in the sensitive spot. Unless you have something of value to say no, go play Kotor or Arma and STFU.

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
MetalCraze said:
Jaesun said:

"Above average" is your ArmA.

If anything I'm going to expect TW2 to have a stronger long tail than DAO and certainly DA2. You would expect marketing to account for primarily 1st/2nd/3rd week sales, with good word of mouth and reviews making the bulk of the sales beyond that. While DAO certainly got good reviews, for the most part everyone who wanted it already knew about it and had it bought if they were going to buy it. TW2 probably also has a significantly higher portion of non-retail sales because buying the GoG version isn't actually a stupid idea like it is for other games.

It will be interesting to see how the console versions sell when they eventually come out. Fix the bugs, make QTEs entirely optional and slap on a new retard-level of difficulty that they can call 'normal'. Reviewers who only have bullshit now would in theory be falling over themselves to give it 10/10 GOTY for life. And of course, the PC version has to be building tons of hype as we speak.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Mrowak said:
Says the guy to whom the peak of action game is Devil May Cry 4
It's a good example of how combat in a slasher made specifically for consoles should be done.
And I actually prefer to shoot in my action games.

I of course understand that a typical Elite Personal Console Gamer will stand for none of this, preferring to twitch the (A)wesome button of TW2 to slowly take 1 hp by 1 hp off of enemies in TW2 which can either do a basic attack or go into a magical 360 degree "block" stance.

Unless you have something of value to say no, go play Kotor or Arma and STFU.
So basically you are sending me off to play superior games as some kind of an attempt to strike a nerve?

You next-gen consoletards are so amusing

Data4

Arcane
MetalCraze said:
Jaesun said:

You have successfully added MetalCraze to your ignore list.

There comes a time when you have to figure out the value of screen space.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
J_C said:
Jaesun said:

Made up fake numbers show an actual trend? Don't ever apply for a sales analysis job in the future. Just FYI.

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity
MetalCraze said:
Mrowak said:
Says the guy to whom the peak of action game is Devil May Cry 4
It's a good example of how combat in a slasher made specifically for consoles should be done.
And I actually prefer to shoot in my action games.

I of course understand that a typical Elite Personal Console Gamer will stand for none of this, preferring to twitch the (A)wesome button of TW2 to slowly take 1 hp by 1 hp off of enemies in TW2 which can either do a basic attack or go into a magical 360 degree "block" stance.

It is evident Cryway that you even didn't bother to do any research at all... Unless by research you mean some console retards posting youtube links of them playing on easy.

1). There's no awesome button in TW2... Unless you count that adrenaline rushes which give you boost to stats, cast 'slow-time' and let you score critical hits to non-boss foes. You have to be around lvl 19 to even unlock one of them, and they become effective around lvl 28. The level cap is 35 in TW2., byw

2). There's no cheaping away hp after hp in TW2. I don't know what game you watched on youtube but it wasn't The Witcher 2.

3). 360 degree block? Well, yes there is block like that - but only if you unlock level two upgrades at level 11 or later. It's still not a win by default because each block consumes your reserve of vigour - not enough vigour and you can't block further or cast any spells. It's worth mentioning that your initial vigour reserve is whooping 2 points meaning you can block two hits. It ain't hat much when you face even just 2 enemies. Cryway, after watching so many gameplay vids you should have already know at least that.

Unless you have something of value to say no, go play Kotor or Arma and STFU.
So basically you are sending me off to play superior games as some kind of an attempt to strike a nerve?

Yes, Kotor is especially superior game being the very incarnation of consoltard dumbed down shit with simplistic, retarded gameplay and controls straight from nightmare. Yes Cryway, tell us more about it, please.

I won't say anything against Arma - I haven't played the damn game. For all I know it might be quite good.

You next-gen consoletards are so amusing

Cryway. How many times will you persist in proving your ignorance and stupidity? Why do you do that? You think that by being angsty and edgy you will be granted KodexKoolKredits or anything? You say I am a consoltard? So what does it make you - a PC tard, I guess. A rabid monkey hateboy bent on throwing poo at eveything he does not know. If anything, you and the likes of you who cannot into argumentation and can only fabricate and confabulate are the reason even this place - our beloved Codexia - was struck by :decline:

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
Yea, funny thing - Fahrenheit. A game which consists ONLY of QTE's is praised by Shitway. It seems Dumbway likes to be treated like a monkey, but doesn't want to admit it.

Jaesun said:
J_C said:
Jaesun said:

Made up fake numbers show an actual trend? Don't ever apply for a sales analysis job in the future. Just FYI.
I assume you're not just saying that, but what are you basing it on?

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
Wait, now a game supposedly has to teach you how you should enjoy it?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom