Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Gaider"anyone touching my baby makes my heart palpitate

David Gaider: I love the [DA2] world and the thought of anyone else touching my baby makes my heart palpitate.

Heather Rabitach: We’ve adopted the Mass Effect-style conversation wheel, departing from our very text heavy and, at times, confusing system in Origins.

David Gaider: it was a matter of deciding what the vision of DA2’s story should be, and trying to incorporate something that would take advantage of the changes we wanted. That was mostly Mike Laidlaw’s doing, as Lead Designer... It would have been a mistake to ... not experiment a bit with regards to the “tried and true.” Thankfully we didn’t do that.

http://www.fantasy-magazine.com/new...lopers-david-gaider-heather-rabatich/#respond

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Text heavy confusing dialouges in DAO? They really think that their audiance are a bunch of morons. Oh wait, they are.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
B..bb...babies? :lol:

gaider.jpg
*Sobs* Chris...oh god...you did it...you saved our baby. *Sobs*
chris.jpg
Dave,...take it...take our baby and get out of here...please...NGHHHHhhhh. It hurts....I can't...

I guess he could go for ....abortion .. :yeah:

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I couldn't finish DAO because of too complicated dialogues I couldn't understand. Just like every modern Bioware game.

aries202

Erudite
Actually, what Gaider is saying here (reading between the lines) is that if he didn't agree to the changes made in DA2, the Lead Writer would be another one...

Also, note how he sort of says that everythings that changed in DA2 (from DA:=) was Laidlaw's responsibility...

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
FatCat said:
Does anyone still cares ? Why do you post this ?

and fuck you J_C
Are you saying that the people who think that DAO has confusing dialogues are not morons?

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
FatCat said:
J_C said:
FatCat said:

and fuck you J_C
Are you saying that the people who think that DAO has confusing dialogues are not morons?

No , just you are Obsidian fanboy.
Don't worry, I'm also a CD Project fanboy. Happy? :smug:

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
aries202 said:
Actually, what Gaider is saying here (reading between the lines) is that if he didn't agree to the changes made in DA2, the Lead Writer would be another one...

Also, note how he sort of says that everythings that changed in DA2 (from DA:=) was Laidlaw's responsibility...
I didn't follow DA2's development that closely, is this Laidlaw guy really mostly responsible for how shitty DA2 turned out, or is he just being made the convenient scapegoat? I keep seeing his name pop up a lot lately.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
in before EA caught on the idea and rename it
David Gaider's Dragon Age X series.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Konjad said:
I couldn't finish DAO because of too complicated dialogues I couldn't understand. Just like every modern Bioware game.

But dialogues there WERE confusing. You never knew what you are going to say after all.

Data4

Arcane
The quote means nothing. Gaider the Hutt's heart probably palpitates from breathing or blinking too fast. Both he and Priestly look like the types that could break a sweat from just sitting there.

FatCat

Educated
J_C said:
FatCat said:
J_C said:
FatCat said:

and fuck you J_C

Don't expect potatoes you bastard from Hungry.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
FatCat said:
J_C said:
FatCat said:
J_C said:
FatCat said:

and fuck you J_C

But we are starving. :( That's why we are the Hungry Hungarians.

DraQ

Arcane
Tycn said:
So, Gaider formed a retarded babby. How appropriate.
Memefied.

FatCat said:
J_C said:
FatCat said:
J_C said:
FatCat said:

and fuck you J_C

:lol:

Also, biowhore can't possibly fall any lower.

Luzur

Good Sir
J_C said:
FatCat said:
J_C said:
FatCat said:
J_C said:
FatCat said:

and fuck you J_C

moar leik Hungry Hippos, amirite?

DraQ

Arcane
Luzur said:
J_C said:
FatCat said:
J_C said:
FatCat said:
J_C said:
FatCat said:

and fuck you J_C

moar leik Hungry Hippos, amirite?
I'm hungry. :troll:

aries202

Erudite
Mike Laidlaw is the Lead Designer of DA2....says so in the interview, too... And Gaider also says that the framed story was Mike's idea...

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Fat Dragon said:
I didn't follow DA2's development that closely, is this Laidlaw guy really mostly responsible for how shitty DA2 turned out, or is he just being made the convenient scapegoat? I keep seeing his name pop up a lot lately.
He was one of the designers on Dragon Age: Origins, the one that evidently didn't leave BioWare after he saw the sequel was going to crash and burn. Make of that what you will, but everything indicates that while he may be a capable person, he wasn't capable enough to step into a senior role and end up with good results.

It's pretty hilarious that Gaider simultaneously tries to defend Dragon Age II's world and story, and yet tries to place responsibility on others for how the game turned out, even though by and large he is solely responsible for some of the worst writing in the game (and every other recent BioWare title for that matter). This guy must give some "under the desk encouragement" to his EA masters, I can't think of any other reason for him to still have a job after all these years.

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
Hmm. What if we changed more about a future Dragon Age than you might like? Quel horreur!

I imagine it would look something like this:

Stage 1: Denial
Posts of "no, it can't be true!" and "maybe they didn't mean what we think it means!"

Stage 2: Anger
As the truth sinks in, posts of "Bioware, you have betrayed all that is good and righteous!" and furious predictions of financial collapse and boycotts, etc. etc.

Stage 3: Bargaining
Hopeful posts of "Well, if we don't get X will we still get Y?" and "Well, since there's still Z maybe X won't seem that bad" or even "Will we be able to change X ourselves?"

Stage 4: Depression
"Bioware is dead", "RPG's are dead", etc. ad nauseum as that glorious, scintillating might-have-been is now really gone.

and finally Stage 5: Acceptance
You see whatever game it is for what it actually is and enjoy it on its own terms.

or, alternatively Stage 5: Acceptance
You realize it's not the game for you, but might be for other people. You move on.

or, if you really must, you go back to Stage 1: Denial
You refuse to accept the presence of X in your beloved game, or any game for that matter, and begin a bitter campaign to convince everyone else that it is the travesty you think it is. If you play the game, you are determined to hate it-- and voila! You do! Possibly you hang out on RPG Codex.

please enjoy the baby for what it is

RPGMaster

Savant
sea said:
Fat Dragon said:
He was one of the designers on Dragon Age: Origins, the one that evidently didn't leave BioWare after he saw the sequel was going to crash and burn. Make of that what you will, but everything indicates that while he may be a capable person, he wasn't capable enough to step into a senior role and end up with good results.

It's pretty hilarious that Gaider simultaneously tries to defend Dragon Age II's world and story, and yet tries to place responsibility on others for how the game turned out, even though by and large he is solely responsible for some of the worst writing in the game (and every other recent BioWare title for that matter). This guy must give some "under the desk encouragement" to his EA masters, I can't think of any other reason for him to still have a job after all these years.

Laidlaw only worked on console port. You know, the version that's even shittier.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom