Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

DX:HR leak impressions

baronjohn

Cipher
Wait, did I play the whole game with that golden outline on and didn't even notice?

:retarded:

Self-Ejected

Jack

█▓▒░
Patron
Insert Title Here
Crooked Bee said:
Preordered the game. Hope you faggots are right in saying positive things about it.
Why don't you try it and see for yourself, sister?

I don't think that one can judge a game based on what one sees in an unfinished version of it...

... I'm sure the finished version will have even more orange. :M

Rohit_N

Prophet
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Unfortunately, highlighting is necessary at some times, like in Sarif Industries where only one door of a cabinet can be opened.

vazquez595654

Arbiter
=========================================================

I can't remember the last time I was actually excited about a game, and it actually delivered.

DX: HR does the opposite of what DX: IW did for DX.

PROS:

There are choices and consequences, and even to some degree time limits on doing certain things.

Voice acting could only get better, and it is.

The skill system is vastly improved. Many more options divided into different body parts. For example, each body part has its own mini skill tree. Most skills seem to focus on actually adding some physically noticeable feature in game, instead of just adding numerical points (though those are in as well).

You gain experience for almost everything. Killing, not killing, the type of takedown, whether lethal or non lethal, exploring, doing side quests.

Inventory grid is there.

The level design makes you feel like these are real places. The levels are large, unique, and highly detailed. You can break into each persons office, and read their emails (if you hack them). There are hidden areas to explore.

If you were really into Deus Ex, you will love this game. Period.

Anyone who complains about graphics, or lip synching, aren't really interested in a game like Deus Ex. Not many game companies are allowed to make a game like this. The amount of time to create the huge levels, dialogue and choices, skill system, backstory, without focusing solely on graphics, or dumbing down is pretty amazing. Hopefully this game sells very well.

Very polished. Never crashed, was even able to alt tab out and in. Supports DX 11 and Tesselation.

I personally think the game looks beautiful. I appreciate the difference between making a fancy high poly model in 3DSMax, and a level that has a lot of detail from actual level design/ creation.

CONS:

The intro level will remind you of Mass Effect type level design. Repetitive futuristic lab. Get through the first level as soon as possible. It's just a tutorial. After that everything opens up, Deus Ex style.

Long load times (even on quick saves).

Story. Okay if you enjoyed Deus Ex's B movie quality Sci Fi story, you have to like this story. It's not cheesy like Dragon Age (god that game sucks on so many levels), nor does it try to be overly serious, or emo like Mass Effect. DX: HR tries to be smart. Tries, and it actually works a little. Its subtle, but given that NO games now days even try to do that, is a refreshing change.

FINAL THOUGHTS:

Having been burned so many times since the great collapse of computer games, I was extremely skeptical of this game.

This is definitely an improvement to Deus Ex in every way so far.

I lost hope in PC games years ago, but DX: HR is a testament that every once in a while a diamond can be found in the rough.

If you were really into Deus Ex, you will like this game. Period.

If you are the type of person that must have 1 or 2 features and if they aren't there you dislike the entire thing, then maybe you won't like this game. I can't think of anything missing from Deus Ex that I cared about. Unlike The Elder Scrolls, things that got taken out, were either improved or updated in someway that actually works better than the original. Yes, there are hints to console interface, but there are larger hints to PC interface.

Jonathan Jacques-Belletete sounds and looks like such a douche bag (must be the accent), but god-damn do they have a smart, talented, and dedicated team up there in Canada. I pray that they make Thief 4.

==========================================================

Overall I give DX: HR - 9.5/10 (so far)

Deus Ex - 9/10
Thief I - 9.5/10
Thief II - 9/10
System Shock 2 - 9/10
Bioshock - 6/10

Mass Effect II - 3/10
Dragon Age - 3/10
Crysis2 - 3/10
Daggerfall - 7/10
Morrowind - 7/10
Oblivion - 5/10
Fallout 3 - 6/10
Fallout New Vegas - 6.5/10
Portal I - 8/10
Portal II - 8.5/10

XCOM UFO Defense - 9.5/10
Jagged Alliance 2 - 9/10
Civilization V - 8/10

Betrayal at Krondor - 9.5/10
Fallout - 9/10
Arcanum 9/10
Torment 9/10
Might and Magic VI - 8.5/10
Arx Fatalis - 8.5/10
Risen - 8/10

Space Rangers 2 - 9/10
Kings Bounty - 8/10
Diablo II - 8.5/10
StarCraft II - 8.5/10

Oh MineCraft. I have to add this, since I've enjoyed it. But it's not really a game yet, is it?
Dwarf Fortress so far, has been beyond my line of fun and feeling like work.

No, I'm not trolling. I don't post often. I haven't had anything to post about until now.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Jaesun said:
sea said:
Of course, we could be wrong, in which case I'd say... there had better be a DX11 executable, high-res texture pack, or INI tweaks to improve things, else this is one game seriously harmed by its console roots.

Is that all you require of a cRPG then? DX11.

I'll just stick to cRPG's that have multiple ways of doing thing, stat based combat, stat based skills, choice and consequences, stat based dialoge skills... to name a few.

Enjoy your dx11 faggot.
Right, because I appreciate good visuals in a game and was specifically responding to someone who was riffing on the game's graphics means that I don't care about good gameplay. That makes sense!

For the record, I was referring to visuals only when talking about consoles harming Deus Ex. I don't think Human Revolution is the kind of game whose direction is significantly influenced by consoles in and of themselves, and we're at the point where console hardware is no longer significantly limiting to a game like Deus Ex (as it was with Invisible War, where levels had to be cut into 3-4 pieces just to fit into memory). Previews certainly don't seem to suggest the game has been dumbed down for wider audiences, and while I'm not a fan of cover systems and regenerating health, the fact is that many gamers are, regardless of whether they play on PC or console (and no, the aforementioned do not by default make a game stupid, easier, etc.; like any design elements it depends on how well they are used). While Human Revolution has attached itself to a few of the trends which have appeared in the games industry lately, I don't think those are specific to the game's console origin and we probably would have ended up with at least some of them regardless of whether PC was lead platform or not... this is a big-budget mainstream-oriented title, and I don't think freedom from design fads would have been possible unless Eidos had ended up making a significantly lower-budget niche game dedicated to a single platform.

I'm also feeling like a hypocrite at this point, but all these positive impressions left here so far suggest that it might be a good idea to get this after all... if I can block the ad servers via firewall then I guess I won't mind too much about that stuff, even if I'm still opposed to it in principle.

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
The key to successful posting about games on the codex is to never ever let anyone know exactly how you really feel about their favorite or hated games with numbers.

SoupNazi

Am I the only one who can't get past the mission where you kill the Gunther Hermann lookalike?

oh, nevermind. the preview version ends there.

Phelot

Arcane
Well, thanks for the screenshots. It actually looks cool, but that's just looks. The PC looks like a douche, though. In fact, most of the characters look bad, but the environs look nice enough. Good to know that orange haze is missing (from most) of the pics.

Deakul said:
SZiRq.jpg

Anime models.

Badly modeled anime models.

Nice chin. Bad plastic surgery, shapeshifting, or a drunk modeler?

bonescraper

Ok, here's my question. Exactly, how long is that leaked preview build? I'm anxious to try it out, 'cause if it's actually half as good as you people say, i'll buy it for sure. Is it "demo long" or is it way longer? I don't want to spoil all the fun playing an unfinished version. :?

SoupNazi

I would say it's a "long demo" long. It took me what, four hours to finish it on the highest difficulty? I didn't explore the hub nor any side quests at all though. This is definitely a game that you'll have to play through more than once though so I don't think playing the leak version will spoil the fun.

Just don't get put off by the first "mission" (before Adam is augmented) as it's shit, but after then it picks up and the first story mission in the hub is great, with many many many ways to approach it.

Actually, I did go through two side quests - the one for the mom and the one for the guy who gets blackmailed.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom