Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Editorial How Did You Screw This Up: Wizardry 8

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: SirTech; Wizardry 8

<p>Spectacle Rock <a href="http://www.spectaclerock.com/2011/06/07/how-did-you-screw-this-up-wizardry-8/" target="_blank">takes a look back</a> at the Wizardry series and ponders how <strong>Wizardry 8</strong> didn't live up to its lofty predecessors.</p>
<blockquote>
<p>On a more fundamental level, W8 also shook up the series&rsquo; already rather robust skill system. In addition to the numerous weapon skill categories already available (Sword, Axe, Polearm, etc), W8 added in two overarching &ldquo;Combat&rdquo; skills: Close and Ranged. These&nbsp; served as an additional skill modifier for combat regardless of what weapon was being used. In practice, however, they felt like superfluous considerations in an already well-fleshed out system, and they simply added yet another thing for the player to have to divide up their meager skill points among at each level. This meant slower skill growth and, in the long run, slower combats. Characters statistics also switched from a D&amp;D-esque 1-18 system to a 1 to 100 scale. Also gone were the random stat increases upon leveling up, replaced instead by a steady 6 pts per level to give out. Again, the overall effect of this was slower character growth, which made switching classes or creating more well-rounded characters a more difficult proposition.<br /><br />Beyond character creation, the biggest change by far for anyone coming to W8 from the previous entries was the switch to 3D. 3D was by no means brand-new when Wizardry 8 was released in 2001, but it was a first for the series. Unfortunately for Wizardry 8, it&rsquo;s lengthy development cycle meant that it was built on an earlier-gen 3D engine that, by the time the game was released, was already behind the times. The graphics were by no means terrible, but compared to Deus Ex, which was released a year earlier, to to The Elder Scrolls 3: Morrowind, which was released just 6 months or so later, W8 was obviously not up to par. The controls were also clumsy, using mouse and keyboard for navigation, but getting very confused if you tried to use both at once.<br /><br />The world of Wizardry 8 was sprawling, which was great for the would-be explorer, but it was also sadly empty. Large spaces between points of interest had nothing in them whatsoever, save a few trees here and there to look at. Moving around the world is also a slow process, with trips between points taking several minutes at a slow crawl. The party has a &ldquo;run&rdquo; option, but this drains stamina as well as opens you up to sneak attacks from roaming enemies. Later in the game the player can acquire a few different options for teleporting from point to point, but for much of the game travel feels like a chore rather than an adventure.</p>
</blockquote>
<p>Spotted at: <a href="http://www.gamebanshee.com/news/103325-how-did-you-screw-this-up-wizardry-8.html">Gamebanshee</a></p>

ZbojLamignat

Educated
Why bitch about Wiz8 graphics? It's one of the few older 3d titles that aged very well imo.

Also
The controls were also clumsy, using mouse and keyboard for navigation, but getting very confused if you tried to use both at once.
:retarded:

Angthoron

Arcane
What the hell.

The only thing I can agree with is the monsters between points of interest, fuck that shit that fucking fucked when I played Wiz 8 for the first time.

catfood

AGAIN
The world of Wizardry 8 was sprawling, which was great for the would-be explorer, but it was also sadly empty. Large spaces between points of interest had nothing in them whatsoever, save a few trees here and there to look at. Moving around the world is also a slow process, with trips between points taking several minutes at a slow crawl. The party has a “run” option, but this drains stamina as well as opens you up to sneak attacks from roaming enemies. Later in the game the player can acquire a few different options for teleporting from point to point, but for much of the game travel feels like a chore rather than an adventure.

The only thing I agree with really. Now if the game had been released with easy to use mod tools I'm sure we would have had plenty of custom high quality dungeons to try out. Because the game kinda lacked in the dungeon department. The monastery was great but the rest, meh.

Flatlander

Liturgist
Yeah, Wizardry 8 has aged really well IMNHO compared to other older titles. But then again I'm not a graphics whore.

Couldn't bother reading the article, but a quick scan reveals no significant amount of "graphics suxx" or "lol turn based" so I would give an :thumbsup: At least it sticks to the relevant points.

Rivmusique

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Flatlander said:
Couldn't bother reading the article, ...... I would give an :thumbsup: At least it sticks to the relevant points.

Not viewing the content but rating it anyway, are you in game journalism by any chance?

Flatlander

Liturgist
Rivmusique said:
Flatlander said:
Couldn't bother reading the article, ...... I would give an :thumbsup: At least it sticks to the relevant points.

Not viewing the content but rating it anyway, are you in game journalism by any chance?
It's so easy these days. If the first paragraph of an RPG review doesn't make you :x then it's an :thumbsup:

If the reality doesn't meet your expectations it's time to lower your standards (or stay the fuck out of the internets).

hanssolo

Educated
It's a fucking blobber and they're disappointed it didn't control like deus ex?

Trojan_generic

Magister
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Flatlander said:
If the reality doesn't meet your expectations it's time to lower your standards (or stay the fuck out of the internets).

So you are in game journalism as suspected.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
catfood said:
The world of Wizardry 8 was sprawling, which was great for the would-be explorer, but it was also sadly empty. Large spaces between points of interest had nothing in them whatsoever, save a few trees here and there to look at. Moving around the world is also a slow process, with trips between points taking several minutes at a slow crawl. The party has a “run” option, but this drains stamina as well as opens you up to sneak attacks from roaming enemies. Later in the game the player can acquire a few different options for teleporting from point to point, but for much of the game travel feels like a chore rather than an adventure.

The only thing I agree with really. Now if the game had been released with easy to use mod tools I'm sure we would have had plenty of custom high quality dungeons to try out. Because the game kinda lacked in the dungeon department. The monastery was great but the rest, meh.

Pretty much this. The rest is bullshit - especially the stuff about character building. That was probably the best part of Wizardry 8.

MMXI

Arcane
Guys, I prefer Wizardry VI and VII myself. But hey, I still agree with the hive mind with regards to this article. It is indeed banal, shit, boring.

Einhander

Novice
Thats bullshit..Still one of the best character systems around i think..Alot of fun with stats and character building :love:

mr.doo

Educated
ZbojLamignat said:
Why bitch about Wiz8 graphics? It's one of the few older 3d titles that aged very well imo.

W8Hogar.jpg

I beg to differ.

Also I think the reason why wizardry 8 failed was because it was designed by a woman. Everyone knows women are only good at cooking and ironing.

Varn

Educated
Wiz8 was overall pretty junk because of the ultra retarded level scaling. Leveling up meant more and more trash mobs of higher and higher levels to encounter along the roads, and combat encounters lasting up to 40 minutes at a time whenever you headed back to town to sell the junk you collected. This is not good game design.

But the article is kinda dud yeah. Most of the complaints don't really matter - they should've hammered the level scaling. Oblivion got trashed for it yet most people are silent about Wiz 8's junk system.

Varn said:
Wiz8 was overall pretty junk because of the ultra retarded level scaling. Leveling up meant more and more trash mobs of higher and higher levels to encounter along the roads, and combat encounters lasting up to 40 minutes at a time whenever you headed back to town to sell the junk you collected. This is not good game design.

But the article is kinda dud yeah. Most of the complaints don't really matter - they should've hammered the level scaling. Oblivion got trashed for it yet most people are silent about Wiz 8's junk system.

I wouldn't call it junk... I loved it, but I do agree that the level scaling was shit. I guess it's there to prevent abuse of grinding and resting. Still, there should be a better way of doing that.

ZbojLamignat

Educated
mr.doo said:
I beg to differ.
Don't bother begging, Wiz8 looks perfectly fine on my 1920x1080 screen, without any mods/external improvements and this certainly cannot be said about most 10 year old 3d games. Plus, it's some old beta build you're hotlinking there pal, check your sources.
Varn said:
combat encounters lasting up to 40 minutes at a time
Yeah, you have to be really bad at this game for that to be true. Also, level scaling in Wiz8 isn't that restrictive - the monsters don't scale exactly to your level and you can meet weak/strong ones depending on your luck and current location, plus it doesn't have uberretarded shit like scaling bandit equipment. That said, constant fights with trash mobs do tend to get irritating at times, but there are ways to minimize the pain (building strong party, running away, teleporting).

BlaineMono

Liturgist
Well the guy thinks your character development is slower because you get 6 skill points on levelup instead of 1d7+2

Fucking save/load scumming trash

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Frau Bishop said:
mr.doo said:
ZbojLamignat said:
W8Hogar.jpg

I beg to differ.
What's wrong with the graphics? Look at that beautiful sea and trees.
Ok, that Hogar is a bit ugly, but death will be a solution.

Is it that hard to figure out Frau?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom