Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Which game grabbed you the most>?

Heirophant

Novice
No other game has ever affected me this way so much as Master of Magic. In the twelve years since I bought it, I've probably spent upwards of 500 hours playing. I'm still occasionally struck by an idea for an unusual wizard/race combo and have to load the game in DOSBox. In fact, I once killed a weekend on a 30-hour MoM bender. God I can't wait for someone to finish remaking this game.

Jenos Idanian

Novice
Heirophant said:
No other game has ever affected me this way so much as Master of Magic. In the twelve years since I bought it, I've probably spent upwards of 500 hours playing. I'm still occasionally struck by an idea for an unusual wizard/race combo and have to load the game in DOSBox. In fact, I once killed a weekend on a 30-hour MoM bender. God I can't wait for someone to finish remaking this game.

Yeah, that game was incredible. I have finished this game a zillion time and each time you discover a new combo of magic/unit that just makes the game completely different.
My favourite moment probably was he first time I was able to use the timestop spell.

Sid Meier games used to grab my attention as well. I was pretty much sucked in by Colonization and I have played and completed Pirates! on the C64, Amiga and the Pc (both versions). I guess I'm a sucker for open games.
The CRPG games I used to play too much would be Eye of the Beholder, Fallout 2 and Baldur's Gate 2. With EoB I used to draw out maps and try to solve the special riddles on each level (not very succesful at that). Bg2 was more of an excersize in powergaming, trying to fing new cheesy tactics is always fun

Ahh the old days, too bad I don't have the time anymore.

kosie99

Novice
ExMonk said:
Zork. Zork II. Zork III. And many other Infocom games. .....

And here I thought I was the only person on the Codex with taste :wink:

Ah yes, I spend many, many hours (days actually) trying to figure out how to get rid of that dragon that was blocking the northern exit in one cavern in Zork II.

Almost every Infocom game I ever played was great, I enjoyed Planetfall immensely - I liked the scifi setting and the puzzles had mostly logical solutions. What was that small robot's name again..?

Dammit, now you're getting me feel all nostalgic about my old C64 with it's slow floppy drive....

Section8

Cipher
I spent a good many lunch times in primary school playing games like Planetfall and Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy on the Microbees (an Aussie brand of home computer that went belly up sometime in the late eighties.) Ah the memories...

Doppelganger

Novice
Section8 said:
I spent a good many lunch times in primary school playing games like Planetfall and Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy on the Microbees (an Aussie brand of home computer that went belly up sometime in the late eighties.) Ah the memories...
Primary School? Lunchtimes? Did you miss out on playing Doctors and Nurses?

Section8

Cipher
I'm a late bloomer. That's what I'm doing with my life at the moment coincidentally. It's lucky I still find those primary school girls hot.

jiujitsu

Cipher
Project: Eternity
I usually think about whatever game I'm playing currently. Last night when I was trying to sleep I kept thinking about Gothic 1 and Gothic 2. I beat Gothic 1 last night and Gothic 2 last week.

Yea, I played them in opposite order. :lol: People told me to "stay away from Gothic 1" and just to play Gothic 2. Well, I beat 2 and wanted more so I got 1 and I liked it a lot. Lesson: Don't take what Exitium says too seriously. :cool:

Anyway, back on topic. The game that had me the longest would probably be Diablo 2. It's really addictive even if I'm not enjoying myself at all... I currently hate it, but next year I'll probably want to play again. I take year long breaks.

The one game that had me waking up at 7am and playing until 3am would be Baldur's Gate 2. That's my favorite game even though I don't consider it the best game I've played. I just couldn't stop. I played it around 15 times. :shock: I'll probably end up playing it again within the next couple months.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
I played the original Diablo a lot, but I didn't much like Diablo 2. The classes suck, the only one I could stand playing was the paladin. The original Diablo, I enjoyed playing sorc the most. All the classes had their strong points and it was fairly simple to understand. I also like how Sorcs were dependant on drops, just like warriors were. D2 has tons more crap, but it was never as fun for me.

Otaku_Hanzo

Erudite
Wow. I could go on forever, but I won't. :P Short version and off top of my head I would have to say the original X-Com, New Horizons 2, MoM, MoO, and Daggerfall. Definitely Daggerfall has the most time from my life and I still think about it alot to this day. Matter of fact, it's been installed on every computer I've owned right from the start and has never come off.

That was just the short list. There's been many others. Dungeon Keeper, Final Fantasy Tactics, etc.

Right now though, The Movies has my full attention. Everyday this week that I've been at work I've thought about it. How can I do this? How can I make this work? On and on and on... Such an awesome game.

kris

Arcane
Crnobog said:
Sounds wicked, I'll check it out. Is that by the same company that made Europa Universalis?

Yes it is. the first also was very replayable, especially due to how openended the technology reasearch was, but the openendness made it exploitable.

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
Fallout, Planescape: Torment, Arcanum, Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, Grand Theft Auto 3, Final Fantasy VIII, Wizardry 8, Deus Ex, Bloodnet, Shadowrun (Genesis).

Haskel Dolph

Novice
Diablo the most, i think i played the demo for atleast 50-100 hours, Shenmue, Fallout, Planescape:Torment, to name a few others.
Street Fighter 2 :) i still remember all the combos haha

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
Yeah I used to spend forever trying to see all the fatalities in Mortal Kombat. Mortal Kombat 3 sucked so much of my time. Those games aren't even that great.

Otaku_Hanzo

Erudite
Mulciber said:
Ah. The Shadowrun game on the Genesis.....Good times, good times. I still remember the ABBACAB cheat right off the top of my head.

It's really funny though because I wish they could have merged both Shadowrun games into one. I loved certain aspects of the SNES version over the Genesis version and vice versa.

For example, the Genesis version had an awesome cyberspace mode while the SNES version's sucked ass.

I loved the general interface and combat of the SNES version better, but hated the fact that you couldn't get runs like you could in the Genesis version.

Also, I loved the flexibility of the character development system in the SNES version as opposed to the Genesis where you had to choose from three classes and go from there.

As for story, well it's a toss up. Genesis story started out great but kind of felt watered down towards the end. SNES story was really tame to begin with, but picked up pace after awhile.

I still own both games and actually have recently played through them. Definitely classic console RPGs.

Oh, and I need to give a mention to Star Control 2 (3DO Version). That game took alot of my life and mind as well.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Unbelievable!

Sorry for bumping this old thread, but I simply have no self-control...
kosie99 said:
Almost every Infocom game I ever played was great, I enjoyed Planetfall immensely - I liked the scifi setting and the puzzles had mostly logical solutions. What was that small robot's name again..?
Floyd. F L O Y D. Damn, how dare you forget that? That cutesey robot died, err, got destroyed in Plantefall! The game was in the media because the public was amazed about how deeply a computer game could move people's hearts! A generation of sobbing once-teenagers and now aged oldschool nerds experienced real emotions in a game for the very first time; a real novelty at that time -- hell, it's still rare today to be moved by a game.

So, get a tattoo of it, burn it into your skin, edge it onto your forehead (in mirror-writing, of course), make it your meditation mantra, name your kid that way, just do not forget it: Floyd.

Umm, sorry for that; had to.

Mefi

Prophet
Patron
waiting for a train at Perdido Street Station
Elite on the BBC B microcomputer. That game rocked my world. Was a PITA when it took 20 minutes to load up by tape and then you hit break instead of escape for the escape pod though. Used to go to school thinking about Thargons and how best to shoot them down with a beam laser. Sad.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Wolfenstien 3D was the first game to give me dreams about it. Seriously, I'd be wandering around opening doors and shooting Nazi's in my dreams as they screamed "Mein Leben!". Oh it was beautiful. After that it was Fallout but no other game has had me dreaming like Wolfenstein 3D (the original). That might have something to do with playing it below the recommended age and development of my brain at the time though.

Grayhag

Novice
Torment
There were times when i was already sick of surfing through huge dialog trees, but couldn`t resist it.

wesleyclark

Augur
Wizrdry: Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord

I was in the gifted program at HS, and our class was the only one to have its own set of computers - about 8 Apple IIs. Our teacher was cool, and gave us hall passes to use at lunch. A bunch of nerds and geeks spending their free time in a little room, arguing about party builds and spell selection.

I can still see black-and-white wireframe dungeons.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom