Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Matt Findley and the Interview of WTF

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
<p>You probably all remember that ye RPGs of olde only were turn-based because the devs of yesterday <a href="http://rpgcodex.net/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=59806" target="_blank">lacked the tech to make action games</a>. Craig Stern from Sinister Design <a href="http://sinisterdesign.net/?p=830">continues the debate</a>:</p>
<blockquote>
<p>It&rsquo;s currently vogue to define RPGs as games where character stats, and not player skill, determine the outcome of in-game challenges. However, as a longtime fan of both RPGs and action games, I find the frequently bandied-about skill-based distinction between the two somewhat arbitrary.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Consider the following question. <em>Which is more colorful: orange or purple?</em> Or this. <em>Which is meatier: steak or sausage?</em> These are clearly rather inane questions. Orange and purple are both colors; steak and sausage are both meat. They are merely different variations on the same theme.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>To say that action game challenges require more skill than turn-based game challenges is rather like saying that orange is more colorful than purple. The whole premise is nonsensical. Consider baseball and chess. Sure, baseball requires physical skill, excellent reflexes, and a limited degree of tactical decision-making from its players. But while chess does not require physical ability or reflexes, it does require tactical skills several orders of magnitude greater than those a baseball player requires. One cannot really say that either game requires <em>more </em>skill than the other: both require skill, but of different types.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I challenge the action gamer who thinks turn-based RPGs require no skill to <a href="http://indierpgs.com/2010/08/game-review-eschalon-book-ii/">play Eschalon: Book II</a> or <a href="http://www.honestgamers.com/reviews/5687.html">Nethack</a> for more than an hour. I think he will find himself quite lacking in certain skills that he never had to develop playing <em>Gravel-Voiced Manly Sword-Swinging Demon Slayer Of War 5</em>. And while it is certainly true that not all turn-based RPGs require the same level of skill that Eschalon or Nethack do, we needn&rsquo;t pretend that action games are all paragons of challenge either. They <a href="http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/e6xqm/">aren&rsquo;t</a>, <a href="http://www.supercheats.com/guides/Fable-2/combat/">aren&rsquo;t</a> and <a href="http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/02/07/1-25-million-download-parody-advergame/">aren&rsquo;t</a>.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>So let&rsquo;s be honest with each other. Development houses aren&rsquo;t churning out action RPGs because they require skill to play. These developers aren&rsquo;t sitting around their offices playing turn-based RPGs, thinking &ldquo;Gosh, this game is so easy; if only we made it so the player had to <em>mash a button&hellip;</em>&rdquo;</p>
<p> </p>
<p>No. Skill isn&rsquo;t the reason for the recent glut of action RPGs: <em>money </em>is. Development houses are churning out these games because they see a large market for them, one larger than the market for turn-based games. And that&rsquo;s fine. They are businesses, after all, and they are entitled to cater to the market however they think will best ensure their continued survival.</p>
<p>But at the same time, these developers shouldn&rsquo;t feel free to trumpet their <a href="http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/huntedthedemonsforge/review.html?tag=updates%3Blatest%3Breviews%3Btitle%3B4">mindless little hack-and-slash clickfests</a> as something inherently superior to the more deliberate games that came before them. After all is said and done, turn-based RPGs were never a detour&ndash;just a different destination.</p>
</blockquote>

deuxhero

Arcane
No. "Which is meatier: steak or sausage?" is a fully answerable question. Sausage has a portion of the volume made up of, at minimum, the casing (which isn't technically "meat") and very likely any fillers included in the sausage as well as the meat, while steak is nothing but meat.

I'm pretty sure there is a way to answer "Which is more colorful: orange or purple?" if you know about how colors work from a SCIENCE! standpoint as well, but I'm not going to find out. I think that because purple is a "darker" (read: it absorbs, rather than reflects, most light) while orange is a brighter color (it reflects more light for you to see it), orange is more colorful, but I'm not a scientist.

deuxhero said:
I'm pretty sure there is a way to answer "Which is more colorful: orange or purple?" if you know about how colors work from a SCIENCE! standpoint as well, but I'm not going to find out. I think that because purple is a "darker" (read: it absorbs, rather than reflects, most light) while orange is a brighter color (it reflects more light for you to see it), orange is more colorful, but I'm not a scientist.

Saturation (how "colorful" something is) is independent of hue (what the color "is").

Morkar Left

I like this guy :salute: Really, he has a point. I'm not arguing that Gothic has actioncombat. I'm only arguing that there are no traditional rpgs that are party-based and turn-based.

deuxhero said:

Exactly my thoughts as well :lol:

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
VentilatorOfDoom said:
<p>I challenge the action gamer who thinks turn-based RPGs require no skill to <a href="http://indierpgs.com/2010/08/game-review-eschalon-book-ii/">play Eschalon: Book II</a> or <a href="http://www.honestgamers.com/reviews/5687.html">Nethack</a> for more than an hour. I think he will find himself quite lacking in certain skills that he never had to develop playing <em>Gravel-Voiced Manly Sword-Swinging Demon Slayer Of War 5</em>.

the usual response is that the game is bullshit for not letting you control your own character and you're just telling the game to play the character for you which is bullshit what are we in the 80s or something

circ

Arcane
Nethack requires skill? Really? I thought it was just run around level after level and kill stuff and pick up the sweet lootz? Maybe whoever this Matt Findley is should pick something else from the token nostalgia RPG bin.

Dionysus

Scholar
deuxhero said:

Are you therefore suggesting that white is the most colorful?

Seriously though, the perception of color is based on the wavelength. All other things being equal, orange is longer than purple, but it's not more colorful. And an orange object doesn't reflect more light, it reflects orange light.

Shannow

Waster of Time
Why is this news?
The first part sounds like a strawman until I realized that he was talking to devs and action-gamers. But even then he just says the obvious.

"Peace is good. Make love not war. Some people like RPGs, others don't."
Do I get my own newspost now? No? Didn't think so.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Morgoth said:
RPG Developers should approach their games in a pragmatic and professional way, not an idealistic.

This is why Bioware is still in business and Troika not.

Torika is not in business anymore because they made digital atrocities and tried to pass them off as games.

deuxhero

Arcane
Dionysus said:
Seriously though, the perception of color is based on the wavelength. All other things being equal, orange is longer than purple, but it's not more colorful. And an orange object doesn't reflect more light, it reflects orange light.

Purple is a type of violet. A dark violet. Leaving orange unqualified means it is "orange" itself (neutral), not a shade of orange. Neutral is lighter than dark.

lisac2k

Liturgist
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
VentilatorOfDoom said:
Which is more colorful: orange or purple? Or this. Which is meatier: steak or sausage? These are clearly rather inane questions.
The first question being complete nonsense and the second one easy to answer even by my 5-year old nephew (although missing the geographical location parameter makes it more difficult to a degree, but there's a general idea about it), it seems to me that such comparison or wish to explain the problem is an utter failure. Maybe it's just my impression, being professionaly familiar with colours and foodstuff.

I tend to agree with the rest of the text and find the baseball-chess comparison way better.

Kraszu

Prophet
Bashing TB combat is the same PR nonsense as saying how your last game sucked, but now it will be great, or how AI sucked in the past but now we have radiant AI, or calling games made for 6 year old hardware next gen. People like to think that everything advances, and that they are part of it, it doesn't matter if that is the case or not, but if they believe it or not, that is why we also have over use of HDR, and depth of field because it looks different so it can be sold as an advancement.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
deuxhero said:
No. "Which is meatier: steak or sausage?" is a fully answerable question. Sausage has a portion of the volume made up of, at minimum, the casing (which isn't technically "meat") and very likely any fillers included in the sausage as well as the meat, while steak is nothing but meat.

A high quality sausage is made from more meat than its weight.

PorkaMorka

Arcane
Morgoth said:
RPG Developers should approach their games in a pragmatic and professional way, not an idealistic.

This is why Bioware is still in business and Troika not.

Troika might have survived long enough to get bought out by somebody else if they didn't have such shitty quality assurance.

Severian Silk

deuxhero said:

Purple exists nowhere in the electromagnetic spectrum. Rather, it is a combination of blue and red that our brains interpret as a distinct color. So you could say it only exists in the mind and not physically, and is thus not a real color.

:thumbsup:

Dionysus

Scholar
deuxhero said:
Dionysus said:

Purple is a type of violet. A dark violet. Leaving orange unqualified means it is "orange" itself (neutral), not a shade of orange. Neutral is lighter than dark.
No, purple isn't necessarily dark. Although I looked it up, and it is technically a combination of wavelengths. Apparently, it technically isn't violet either. But either way, the analogy is reasonable for the point he is trying to make.

Gord

Arcane
He is missing the point himself.
Nobody with an IQ above room temperature would argue that the debate player vs. character skill boils down to "you don't need skill to play a rpg".

And just because a game doesn't have TB combat it will not automatically become an aRPG.

Then again, a lot of Codexians would probably agree with that...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom