Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Confirmed. Skrym scales to your level

Groof

Educated
M_I_C_K_E_Y_M_O_U_S_E said:
Scaling doesn't have to be shit like it was in Oblivion.
Ed123 said:
Level scaling isn't totally retarded in and of itself, but I'm unaware of a game with extensive scaling that's handled it effectively.

Scaling is totally retarded in and of itself and whenever people try to give examples of scaling being less retarded they just come up with games with less scaling.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
Lets be honest: level-scaling is fucking lazy game design. It takes more effort for a designer to hand-craft encounters than to set a function that checks your level and selects the appropriate enemy. Remember Fallout? There was no fucking level-scaling: if I go west, I'll run into Super Mutants who will proceed to gang rape me and skull fuck me. Hell, even F:NV didn't have level-scaling (though I think the DLC Honest Hearts did): if I go north right at the start of the game, I become a nasty snack for Giant RadScorpions or Cazadores.

Fuck level scaling and if you think it's good, fuck you too.

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
DragoFireheart said:
Lets be honest: level-scaling is fucking lazy game design. It takes more effort for a designer to hand-craft encounters than to set a function that checks your level and selects the appropriate enemy. Remember Fallout? There was no fucking level-scaling: if I go west, I'll run into Super Mutants who will proceed to gang rape me and skull fuck me. Hell, even F:NV didn't have level-scaling (though I think the DLC Honest Hearts did): if I go north right at the start of the game, I become a nasty snack for Giant RadScorpions or Cazadores.

Wow man. How provoking and original

www.rpgcodex.net

doesn't scale to your level

Shannow

Waster of Time
Groof said:
Scaling doesn't have to be shit like it was in Oblivion.
Ed123 said:
Level scaling isn't totally retarded in and of itself, but I'm unaware of a game with extensive scaling that's handled it effectively.

Scaling is totally retarded in and of itself and whenever people try to give examples of scaling being less retarded they just come up with games with less scaling.
Consider BG2. You need to make money in the beginning. There are 4-5 areas that promise money and another 4-5 areas that are explorable (but usually too difficult for a party just starting out). (Nobody start bitching about the number of explorable areas, it's completely irrelevant to the argument.)
While the "promising" areas do not all have the same difficulty level, they're all managable by a noob party (as long as optional dragon fights are avoided). But after 1-3 of those areas you party will have significant improvements in equipment, party composition and level. If the other areas stayed the same they'd mostly turn into cakewalks. Through half-way intelligent level scaling they pose more of a challenge and thus provide more fun. The player is given a sense of freedom and will probably hardly notice the scaling (at least on his first playthrough).

Non-heavy-handed scaling of certain areas/encounters in certain games can be beneficial. In any open-world/sandbox game level-scaling = shit. In those it's far more fun having to chose your fights and being able to come back to a tough enemy and finally being able to overcome it. Thus providing a real sense of advancement and achievement that should be the core of every RPG. It also animates the player to become creative/use his assets intelligently. Gothic 1 and 2 are good examples of that. Bethesda games suck in that regard, thus sucking as RPGs.

Groof

Educated
Shannow said:
But after 1-3 of those areas you party will have significant improvements in equipment, party composition and level. If the other areas stayed the same they'd mostly turn into cakewalks. Through half-way intelligent level scaling they pose more of a challenge and thus provide more fun.

Yes, you can use level scaling as duct tape if you fuck up some part of the game, and if you do it "right" it can be better than doing nothing about it. It just doesn't beat addressing the problem in a more straightforward fashion. If the problem is that the party grows too powerful too quickly then you fix that by making it grow in power more slowly.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Groof said:
Shannow said:
But after 1-3 of those areas you party will have significant improvements in equipment, party composition and level. If the other areas stayed the same they'd mostly turn into cakewalks. Through half-way intelligent level scaling they pose more of a challenge and thus provide more fun.

Yes, you can use level scaling as duct tape if you fuck up some part of the game, and if you do it "right" it can be better than doing nothing about it. It just doesn't beat addressing the problem in a more straightforward fashion. If the problem is that the party grows too powerful too quickly then you fix that by making it grow in power more slowly.

So instead of scaling the monsters you scale the party. :hmmm:

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
HEY GUYS I'VE GOT IMPORTANT NEWS NO ONE'S EXPECTING!!!!!111 SKYRIM WILL BE OBLIBIAN 2 AND WILL BE SHIT! LISTEN, THIS IS NEWS, SKYRIM IS MADE BY BETHESDA WITH TODD HOAWRE!

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
todd-howard-2010-12-11-21-10-49.jpg

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I read on Bethesda forum that Skyrim will have scaled dungeons that will lock on your level. So if you enter a dungeon as lvl 1 its loot and enemies will be generated as lvl 1 enemies and be locked as that trough the game.

Funny how journalists will call this brilliant evolution of gameplay while its nothing more then lazy programming.

Bahamut

Arcane
markec said:
I read on Bethesda forum that Skyrim will have scaled dungeons that will lock on your level. So if you enter a dungeon as lvl 1 its loot and enemies will be generated as lvl 1 enemies and be locked as that trough the game.

Funny how journalists will call this brilliant evolution of gameplay while its nothing more then lazy programming.

Who on earth goes to the same dungeon again when there's nothing to do, a wait in whole fucking game theres nothing to do besides twacking mobs and randomly generated dragon rape, and some times i think Todds brain is levelscaled to audience too

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
If the audience worsen....then it goes the opposite? Is it okay to blame the market, then?

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Well, the main reason Oblivion sucked was because they listened to their "fans" (the people who couldn't find Caius Cosades), so...

G.O.D

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
RK47 said:
If the audience worsen....then it goes the opposite? Is it okay to blame the market, then?

I blame the Jews :M

Seriously... you guys actually make it sound like you think Bethrashda gives a damn about depth, c&c, good writing, etc? Come on... this is un-Codexian...
They don't even try that hard... becouse they don't have to.

As long as they can get away with making crap, they sure as hell keep making loads and loads 'o crap.
And for as long as the xbawx 666 generation keeps funding their Coke, Hookers and bank account, (or get a better alternative, by another dev for that matter) we're fucked.

Intill then... it'll be another 2 year wait for the Mods to fix it.
But at least the chix look hawt this time :retarded:

1143393957.jpg

We could have known earlier...

Kaanyrvhok

Arbiter
I don't care how ogreish the chick is I would hit it just to reward her for giving a great interview. Compared to the typical jock riding shit that was a great interview.

edit*

on second glance... hell no I wouldnt hit that. Gender is kinds suspect.

MCA
I don't want to blow what precious little highspeed bandwidth I have remaining on skyrim videos. Will it be implemented in Oblivion style, or will the scaling be a bit less random as it was in the likes of BGII for example? Scaling doesn't have to be shit like it was in Oblivion.

Regardless, the game will be shit so it doesn't matter.

RK47 said:
Well. The usual equipment slot in Daggerfall was:

Pauldron / Shoulders L&R x2
Chest x1
Helm x1
Gloves x1
Boots x1
Legs x1

+ the multiple layers of clothing.

Dionysus

Scholar
Shannow said:
In any open-world/sandbox game level-scaling = shit. In those it's far more fun having to chose your fights and being able to come back to a tough enemy and finally being able to overcome it.

I think open-world games are precisely the sort of games that can benefit from some level scaling. Nothing sucks worse than finding a town that is practically useless to you because you were "supposed" to go there at level 1. And that sort of thing is most likely to happen in an open-world game. More linear games don't need it because it's easier to coordinate the level of challenge and the character's level.

Groof said:

Unless you are suggesting that they get rid of character leveling or make it nigh irrelevant, then you aren't "addressing the problem."

And I would suggest the bounty hunters in Fallout 2 as an undeniable example of good level scaling. It makes the game more fun/challenging and makes sense within the game world.

Esquilax

Arcane
You dumbfucks thought that the Asian person being interviewed was a woman? :lol:

Alright, I know that there are a lot of Europeans here, but for future reference, Ashley can be a guy's name too. I will concede that he looked a lot like a lesbian, tho.

I gotta hand it to Bethesda for being able to handle bullshit PR-speak so well. The guy was very vague and evasive, he answered two questions in a row with "Gosh I'd love to talk about that, but we're keeping it secret for now!" Then when asked about character customization, he goes into how many different types of beards there are for the PC. Indeed, if there's one thing I look for in an RPG, it's having many different varieties of facial hair, that's what really counts.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Well, you must remember that Oblivion was criticized for its distinctive lack of facial hair options.

G.O.D

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
Fuzzball:
"Okay now a question from my writers... Will you be able to ride the dragons?"

This reeks like Codex, all over...
Well come on.. Who couldn't resist? :D

Lunac

Arcane
markec said:

That's just messed up. Although, I know at least another game that had the same thing going... was it DarkStone? No...

DragoFireheart said:

This.

villain of the story said:
Regardless, the game will be shit so it doesn't matter.

And this.

Finally, who cares? I mean, with Skyrim Bethesda has finally show they are not interested in developing/publishing for the PC platform, so why rage and waste neurons on this shit? With Morrowind I could understand the anger and disillusionment. With Oblivion, sure, but decline and consolification was in full tilt by then so it wasn't that much of a surprise. But now, with Skyrim, they have abandoned all pretense, and even their promises to the PC crowd are pretty much non-existent. They are not even bothering lying to us this time around. So why pay any attention to this shit game?

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Lunac said:
With Morrowind I could understand the anger and disillusionment.

Dumbfuck detected. Morrowind is the best RPG ever produced.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom