Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Company News Larian Studios Status Update

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Larian Studios

<p>Swen Vincke of Larian Studios posted another <a href="http://www.larian.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&amp;Main=28460&amp;Number=445806#Post445806" target="_blank">status update</a> on their forums.</p>
<blockquote>
<p>Speaking of E, I&rsquo;m very happy to announce that we managed to convince David Freeman ( http://www.beyondstructure.com ) to help us out with the script. He arrived yesterday in Gent with a surprisingly low dose of jet lag, and will be working together with us over the next couple of weeks with fine-tuning the storyline for E. I&rsquo;m pretty curious what he&rsquo;ll come up with, especially considering the ambitions we have for E&rsquo;s storyline and how you&rsquo;ll interact with it.<br />David wrote a book &ldquo;Creation Emotion in Games&rdquo; and also teaches the biggest screenwriting class in Los Angeles &amp; London. If you have an interest in stories in games, get a copy (<br />http://www.amazon.com/Creating-Emotion-Games-Craft-Emotioneering/dp/1592730078 ) and you won&rsquo;t be disappointed, but better yet, if you ever have a chance, participate in his class, you won&rsquo;t regret it (and it puts the ideas of the book completely in perspective, which might otherwise be hard to get completely) Get on his mailing list so you can figure out when he&rsquo;s in the neighbourhood, those things are usually packed but who knows, you might manage.<br /><br />Now, I&rsquo;m mentioning all of this because his book contains a chapter which talks about &ldquo;meaningful non linear response&rdquo; or MNLR for short, and it&rsquo;s one of the things we&rsquo;re trying to do &amp; get right in E. If you get the book, you&rsquo;ll get why this could something really cool. If not, ask David, maybe he&rsquo;ll send you a chapter. If you can&rsquo;t guess, I&rsquo;m pretty hyped about having Jan, who wrote all the dialogue in DKS and David work together, and am very hopeful that the outcome will make for a fantastic new Divinity story.</p>
</blockquote>
<p>Meaningful non-linear response, and there's even a class for it?</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>Swen probably still waits for the DKS review DarkUnderlord owes him. Goddamn australians. Try to appease Swen by <a href="http://store.steampowered.com/app/58540/?l=english" target="_blank">clicking here and buy DKS with 50% off</a>.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>

4m3rica

Educated
Now I read on http://www.rpgwatch.com, one of the two sites I check in the morning to see what the competition does (the other being the madness that is rpgcodex) that Moriendor (whose opinions ring a personal note as he visited our studio in the early days to help us out with testing the first Divinity) thinks we’re going to make:

a) A Real sequel to ED full price game to be released on all major platforms
b) An Isometric low budget spin-off to possibly only be distributed digitally
c) A Browser game of some sort
d) And finally a multiplayer-focused title, either an MMO (seems unlikely that they would invest in a full scale MMO but maybe a browser MMO) or something with an emphasis on cooperative gameplay

He concludes with “that would cover all of the bases as far as the current trends in gaming are concerned”.

So to respond - Project D is none of these and project E, which I think I already mentioned has a top-down camera, can hardly be called low-budget. On the contrary, it makes us bleed, but we have high hopes for it

If it's not a lie, :incline:

DraQ

Arcane
I'm more hopped up for project D, since I WANT TO BE A DRAGON, since I haven't played the original game and since I'm not that much of a fan of Divinity universe, but Larian has built quite a reputation with me, so I'm certainly interested in E as well.

Also:
(the other being the madness that is rpgcodex)
:love:

There two kind of devs.
Ones that get very butthurt about the codex and ones that make good games.
I think I know which category Larian fits into.
:smug:

Cenobyte

Prophet
Sounds really interesting. Too bad that their GamesCom presence is press-only this year. Would have loved to play their game at a public booth there :(

And it's of course always nice to see a dev reading the codex

:love:

CreamyBlood

Arcane
I recently discovered Divine Divinity and thought it was great, considering I've never been able to get into Diablo or Dungeon Siege. Of course, it's an actuall RPG compared to those two.

I'm playing Risen now (I'm a Gothic lover) and am looking forward to Dragon Knight Saga.

It's bloody nice to know that I can look forward to Risen 2 and the next couple of projects from these guys. As bleak as the world may be at times, there is surprisingly enough, lights at the end of this long tunnel of darkness.

Isn't life grand?

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Darth Roxor said:
I suggest this guy replaces MCA in the 'Codex god' category.
Good idea, but let's first wait for the announced high-budget top-down RPG with great storyline to turn out good enough to justify a shift from PST creator.

Do You think we can count for the combat to be turn-based? Any chance at all? Yeah, I didn't think so to...

Raapys

Arcane
That was some other guy's thoughts, not the devs. The devs said:
So to respond - Project D is none of these and project E, which I think I already mentioned has a top-down camera, can hardly be called low-budget. On the contrary, it makes us bleed, but we have high hopes for it

So in other words, incline.

Multi-headed Cow

Now I feel slightly extra brofist about buying DKS.

StrangeCase

Educated
Larian's a pretty likeable studio. Their games are more action-oriented than some might prefer, but they clearly have a lot of fun writing and designing them. Fantastic customer support, too.

Multi-headed Cow

Kinda hope they remove the SecuROM from DKS though. Read on the Steam forums that they claimed they're going to do that, and I really hope they do since it bums me out.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom