Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Age of Decadence July Update

Grunker said:
Plus, I can completely symapthise with the fact that Vince would like his audience to get the most of the game. They will get that with a mouse, not a controller.

Hmm. I thought about reading reviews of Morrowind on Xbox to see how people fared with the controls, and found this rather hilarious review

http://www.gamefaqs.com/xbox/480241-the ... view-88805

Severian Silk

If Xbox support KB and mouse and there were good games that made use of them I would buy one too.

something is not right. i smell something fishy here. why would they extend the release for this long unless they didn't have confidence in the core gameplay of their product? the note about "vince being forced to play through the game" is telling me that something is off. this reminds me a lot of the whole elemental war of magic debacle.

Imbecile

Arbiter
zelda64whatagreatgame said:
something is not right. i smell something fishy here. why would they extend the release for this long unless they didn't have confidence in the core gameplay of their product? the note about "vince being forced to play through the game" is telling me that something is off. this reminds me a lot of the whole elemental war of magic debacle.

Yes, I think you've hit on it. If a game is good enough, there should be no need for playtesting of any sort. Like VD, I have no confidence in the core gameplay either, and I'm sure I'll have that confirmed when they release the next demo.

Krraloth

Prophet
Patron
Wasteland 2
Now, I liked the trolling by VD, but aside from the horrible examples of ports from the pc to the consoles and vice-versa, I still remember I was able to play M&M II on my Mega Drive\Genesis and I saw a Wizardry 6 port on the SNES if I recall correctly.

I agree that a crpg fares way better with mouse & keyboard, but I don't think it would be too horrifying, especially if the game is as nice as AoD is shaping out to be.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Kaanyrvhok said:
b) I am. Its not realistic, and its much too time consuming...
Time consuming? You think?

... for something that isnt necessary or wanted by anxious or grounded fans.
The game reflects what we want to see in RPGs, not what people can settle for.

Fallout had less than 50 quest. About 20 of them had multiple solutions and less than 10 had more than 2.
And? Were you under the impression that we're making a carbon copy of Fallout?

I just dont see 100...
I do.

Vault Dweller

Developer
MisterStone said:
Glad to hear that two years after that combat demo was released you guys now have a TOTALLY AWESOME dialog interface. That old dialogue interface was just not cutting it. I swore to myself I would never buy the game unless the dialog interface was completely re-vamped, and damn if you guys didn't come through!

This game, and especially it's dialog interface are going to rock the gaming world like no other game before it.

:thumbsup:
From an older post:

- Second, the game's gotten a lot more text-heavy since the very first gui was done. Originally, we wanted to avoid meaningless running around and "teleported" your character a lot (i.e. you finish talking to NPC A, get a line "Go see NPC B", and when you click on it, we instantly teleport your character to NPC B, unless he's a hard guy to find or get a meeting with). So as a result, you could finish the demo never leaving the dialogue window and seeing the gameworld only through that small window - basically, the text adventure mode.

We've reduced the teleporting, but the issue remained and it did call for a different, less bulky gui.

- Third, again, when the gui was designed, most actions weren't text-based. So, if you wanted to sneak inside a fort, you clicked on sneak and tried to make it inside being invisible in plain sight. This approach required heavier gui and the ever present text box.

Now you get something like:

Sitting in the shadow of the mountain, the Aurelian outpost is protected from prying eyes by a tall, wooden palisade circling it. A guard watches you approach from atop a wooden guard tower, his high vantage point offering him an unobstructed view of the road leading to the camp. Another guard is posted at the entrance to the outpost, in front of a small barricade.

1. Approach.
a. [lore] "I'm not here to cause trouble. I'm a loremaster…”
b. [disguise] “My name is Sohrab. I’ve come to see the machines.”
c. Attack.
d. Leave.

2. [sneaking] Wait until dark and get close to the palisade without being spotted.
[dexterity] ...
[sneaking] ...
[lore] ...
[lockpicking] ...
3. Leave.

So, this approach calls for "less", makes the textbox obsolete (outside of combat), puts less emphasis on the buttons, and doesn't require a big ass "combat gui".

I can assure you that playing most of the game in a dialogue window fucking sucked. We had to open it up. The new gui is very simple and open, but the difference - when you're playing the game - is indeed huge.

Vault Dweller

Developer
something is not right. i smell something fishy here. why would they extend the release for this long unless they didn't have confidence in the core gameplay of their product?
Why would they indeed, when it's customary to release half-baked, instantly forgettable games? I mean, who in their right mind would want to work for years on a project? They could have released 3 games already and we could have been playing Age of Renaissance - same game, different models - right now.

They have four fucking people - FOUR!!! - working on this game and it's still not out. Something is not right alright, I tell ya.

Kaanyrvhok

Arbiter
Vault Dweller said:
The game reflects what we want to see in RPGs, not what people can settle for.

Its not a matter of settling. You simply dont need 100 quest with multiple paths to please people with high standards.

And? Were you under the impression that we're making a carbon copy of Fallout?

Not carbon. Something with less bonds. I mentioned Fallout because that was what came to mind. It always is with Fallout. Fallout is my favorite example of why you dont need 40 hours. I went with it because you respect its develoment cycle. Do you see the idelness and the beuracracy in its development?

Great. I want to see something I have never seen before. I just hope you have a lot more bagged and tested than the 25 in the first town.

Kaanyrvhok

Arbiter
Krraloth said:
Now, I liked the trolling by VD, but aside from the horrible examples of ports from the pc to the consoles and vice-versa, I still remember I was able to play M&M II on my Mega Drive\Genesis and I saw a Wizardry 6 port on the SNES if I recall correctly.

I agree that a crpg fares way better with mouse & keyboard, but I don't think it would be too horrifying, especially if the game is as nice as AoD is shaping out to be.

Its not horrifying its just basic. I mapped the AoD controls to a 360 controller yesterday and it was as I expected. It plays a lot like an unoptomized Viva Pinata. I first went with the mouse mapping the mouse-movement to the analog sticks, the wheel to the triggers and the buttons to two buttons. I missed some of the keyboard input in the first playthrought. I mapped that to the control pad and it was fine. To come close to the speed of the mouse it would need a cursor that rolls through the GUI alone.

It still wouldnt be as comfortable as a mouse unless you factor the couch/desk chair. The funny thing is that its remarkably easy and accesible to play with a controller. Its the type of controls your mama could manipulate. Those that harp on acceisiblity have outhtought themselves to the nth.

Black

Arcane
[semi-witty remark on the date of release of Age of Decadence]

Joe Krow

Erudite
When was the last time VD posted on these boards?

Are there any beta testers still posting here?

Maybe, if we get a copy of the source code, the community can finish it.

Tel Prydain

Augur
All jokes aside, if it did come out on 360 I’d be pretty happy since my laptop died and my note-book won’t be running it any day soon. Even if you copy-pasted the argument from someone else, it is still valid – It could do well on a console.
I agree that there haven’t been any good isometric RPGs on console, but as long as that's the excuse there never will be. It’s also worth noting that both X360 and PS3 have USB ports that can support keyboard and mouse.

thursdayschild

Educated
Imbecile said:

Yes, I think you've hit on it. If a game is good enough, there should be no need for playtesting of any sort. Like VD, I have no confidence in the core gameplay either, and I'm sure I'll have that confirmed when they release the next demo.

I think the question is more like how is he perfecting the game without playing at all. I guess he is just writing?

Self-Ejected

Davaris

Self-Ejected
Developer
Kaanyrvhok said:
Fallout is my favorite example of why you dont need 40 hours. I went with it because you respect its develoment cycle. Do you see the idelness and the beuracracy in its development?

Indeed. Still my favourirte game and small compared to Beth and Obsidian (New Vegas). I want a game I can enjoy every moment I play and when its finished I want more. I don't want it to go on so long, I stop playing because I can't take anymore. Beth, Obsidian (NV) and Fallout 2 are like American restaurants serving so much food, you can't finish unless you are a compulsive eater.

Melcar

Arcane
Can we get a demo, pretty fuck please? At least one Goddamn quest.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom