Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Choosing between perfect TB and perfect RT in a perfect game

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Awor Szurkrarz said:
Excidium said:
1eyedking said:
Can't I have both games, please? I like the two systems a lot, thank you very much.
Well you have to be realistic. We rarely get good turn based or real time combat, what's the chance of getting both? Last time somebody tried we ended up with Arcanum.
He didn't say that he wants them in one game :) .
True, reading failure on my part. :oops:

Norfleet

Considering he's positing the "perfect" system, I don't think "realistic" falls into it at all. I imagine the "perfect" combat system resembles Dwarf Fortress and is so realistic you could perform surgery on your opponent, the only difference being that if you die in it, you don't actually die in real life.

Wolfus

Arcane
bhlaab said:
TB because I have action games for when I want to think fast.
This.

My most beloved CRPGs have TB combat (Amberstar/Ambermoon/Albion, RoA trilogy...), but in action-based dungeons like Black Crypt or Evil's Doom are perfect with their RT combat.

MCA
Norfleet said:
Considering he's positing the "perfect" system, I don't think "realistic" falls into it at all. I imagine the "perfect" combat system resembles Dwarf Fortress and is so realistic you could perform surgery on your opponent, the only difference being that if you die in it, you don't actually die in real life.

If that's what perfect combat system means to you. If you have an idea of how RT combat could be intelligent, tactical and, well, real-time, however unlikely to be made in a game, then that would be the perfect RT combat, again, to you, which is what this thread is all about. Your own choices when you could have it all the way you want.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Its funny DF should be mentioned. Interface and balance issues aside, the way time is handled is pretty much ideal imo. You can go anywhere from ticking along a single turn at a time, to as fast as your computer can churn out frames. And both can be useful depending on the situation (Split second control over a manually trigger trap vs mining out a big cavern or mopping up remnants of an army.) It's more or less how I imagine a perfect system would handle time/turns. About the only thing I'd change is making the granularity of turns finer, so you can tick along a moment of time where something insanely fast moves only a single tile, even though your units need another 50 such ticks before they can move. Moar detail is pretty much always better though, so you could make that argument until your turns are measured in planck time.

Obviously (look at my user name ;) ) TB is better.

Altrough i can live with TB+RT mix if it were implemented similarly to Valkyria Chronicles.

nihil

Augur
Project: Eternity
TB, because without it, the game is one feature further away from a pure RPG (in my view), and thus cannot be the perfect RPG.

As for question 5, Super Metroid is pretty much the best game ever, and would suck with TB combat.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom