Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Games that you had a lot of fun with but are obscure?

mugarod

Liturgist
Project: Eternity
For me personally it had to be http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tzar:_The_ ... _the_Crown I remember having a lot of fun playing skirmish in demo and in full game as well. The game itself is like an age of empires with an rpg system tacked on but for some reason I spent more time playing it then any other strategy out there.

Another one of my favorites is http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spellforce series. I enjoyed all expansions and sequels though I don't believe the game is popular enough to make any more sequels.

Well is there any games out there that some of you enjoyed but most prolly never heard off?

In before people start mentiong Planescape:torment, Ultima's, wizardy's and such and decline of new generation.

Rocket Jockey.

Very enjoyable racing game, sort of a less explicit Carmageddon. You ride a rocket sled that can launch grappling hooks sideways. Combine with the ability to tie ropes when you grapple both sides + ability to ram/grip other jockeys + mines... pure joy!

For some reason it didn't catch on, even now there's barely 2 youtube videos (one doesn't work anymore and the other is played by a lamer in the race mode - bah, all the fun is in the arena mode).

Edit:

Working video - just set the quality to 240p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-dvmY1VP18

ArcturusXIV

Cipher
Lands of Lore: Guardians of Destiny
Azrael's Tear (Not played, recommended.)
Dark Heart of Uukrul (Again, recommended me.)

LoL2 was my favorite game of all time. Might want to try that.

Also, there is an old Bethesda game named Battlespire...

Not bad, just sorta stinky. Phun only because there are sprites...

JaySn

Educated
Hunter Hunted, created by a special (and short lived) division of Sierra.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usgJt31se4E

hunterh2.jpg

Has some neat features like being able to walk into the foreground and background.
Those of you who liked Fallout might like the design of the levels and sets.

The Dark Eye, by inScape. A point-and-click adventure game featuring a bunch of Poe (?)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKLCXbk9nbI

uvSbU.png

AbdM9.png

Pretty atmospheric, and uses 3D in a nice, surreal way.

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
Silent Storm is one that seems to have gone under a lot of radars even here. It's pretty much a Jagged Alliance 2 spiritual sequel, in 3D, with amazing destructible terrain that'll likely play a key part in every battle. Most of you probably know of it, but for those who haven't, sort it out.

Urban Chaos is a good one. Semi-GTAish, with your character as a police officer, but mission-based; four or five missions take place in each "hub", with the player allowed to roam within the mission more or less freely (unless there's a time limit, which I think only happens in one mission). Different "side-quests" will occur depending on the mission; a carjacking here, a stabbing there, all sorts of wacky events. The shooting's sort of shitty, but it's a damn fun game. Also, you get to play as a hobo later on.

mugarod

Liturgist
Project: Eternity
Admiral jimbob said:
Silent Storm is one that seems to have gone under a lot of radars even here. It's pretty much a Jagged Alliance 2 spiritual sequel, in 3D, with amazing destructible terrain that'll likely play a key part in every battle. Most of you probably know of it, but for those who haven't, sort it out.

Urban Chaos is a good one. Semi-GTAish, with your character as a police officer, but mission-based; four or five missions take place in each "hub", with the player allowed to roam within the mission more or less freely (unless there's a time limit, which I think only happens in one mission). Different "side-quests" will occur depending on the mission; a carjacking here, a stabbing there, all sorts of wacky events. The shooting's sort of shitty, but it's a damn fun game. Also, you get to play as a hobo later on.

O I remember both of those, played only SS demo liked it but never got around to getting it and I loved Urabn Chaos. Was one of my firrst games on pc, I dont think I ever finished it though. Was just roaming around the city eating people up.

Angthoron

Arcane
Admiral jimbob said:

Urban Chaos is actually very fun, and unfortunately very underrated. I had a blast with it when it came out, and actually replayed it a few times since then. It's kinda like GTA from a police perspective, but with lots of chaos (as the title suggests).

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Silent Storm: Sentinels has the single most fun battle scenario in tactical games. I'm talking about the one where you get to defend against a massive attack by Thor's Hammer but also get to set up minefields and positions first.

baronjohn

Cipher
Pathologic, The Void, Cargo, Outcast, Perimeter, Precursors, Earth 2150, Earth 2160. Imperium Galactica, Abuse, Penumbra Overture, Tremulous, suteF, Star Ruler

Marsal

Arcane
JaySn said:
Hunter Hunted, created by a special (and short lived) division of Sierra.
Really cool game! :love:

Remember playing it with my friends in split screen. Lots of mind games looking at each others half of the screen. The Beast dude was pretty op, if I remember correctly. The controls were a bit sluggish, but a great game with some great visuals and action!

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Yeah, it is pretty fun. I (well, my cousin) got it in a newspaper promotion. Seems like it is not that obscure!

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
HOI2 Armageddon.
Dungeon Crawl.
Academagia.
Kult heretic kingdoms.
Europe 1400 Gold.
Zeno Clash.
CHAOS;HEAD.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Birthright: The Gorgon's Alliance, Civil War Generals 2, Shadow of the Horned Rat, Ascension to the Throne

Ermm

Erudite
Martian Gothic: Unification

It was atmospheric, and actually tried to be ''hardcore'' sci-fi in terms that they had interesting bacskstory about earth in future, the look of the game is somehow a bit similar to Star Trek.
It's what was called at the time as Resident Evil rip-off, and it had a lot of flaws, but I liked it anyway.

It also had an interesting twist on the ''zombie'' virus. You can control 3 characters, by switching between them when the time comes, but you must be careful, because if you meet another, they are going to morph together. It sounds nonsencical, but it makes kind of sense because of one of the main tag lines in the game.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Yeah just like the OP I had lots of fun with Tzar, one of the best Age of Empires clones. Too bad RTS of that type aren't really made anymore.

Also, King of fucking Dragon Pass. One of the most amazing (and obscure) games ever.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
Admiral jimbob said:
Silent Storm is one that seems to have gone under a lot of radars even here. It's pretty much a Jagged Alliance 2 spiritual sequel, in 3D, with amazing destructible terrain that'll likely play a key part in every battle. Most of you probably know of it, but for those who haven't, sort it out..
I had that game for a while. It was really hilarious how the game worked at close range when you were missing. I still remember being at point blank with one of my characters using a pistol and having him shoot like 3 or 4 times, all of them missing, with the guy pointing his pistol back and forth everywhere except at the person standing right in front of him. That was great

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
My favourite was when they would carefully point and shoot the floor between the feet of the person right in front of them. This also had hilarious results once when I did it with a machine gun on autofire to an enemy to see what would happen, which blew apart the wooden floor under us and made me fall into a room full of enemies underneath

I was going to mention Urban Chaos. So, uhhh...

Silver. It's the unholy child of Baldur's Gate and Diablo ( and FF7, if you look at the screenshots :lol:). You control one guy at a time and the party is controlled by AI + behaviour pointers (kinda like FO2), but you can change whenever you want. Everyone had special attacks that were activated by mouse gestures. Don't remember if it costed MP or if they had cooldown periods. Weapons felt different from each other, and some had cool properties and attacks.

Supposedly it has voice acting but I never heard it because in my version I had to choose between english VA or portuguese subtitles. The story wasn't anything special, but enoyable (the wizard king wants a wife so he kidnaps all nubile maidens around, your sister among them. Are you a bad enough dude to rescue her? Oh, and his son killed your uncle too)

silver001_640w.jpg

silver.jpg

edit: fuck, I just noticed that your sister (second screenshot) looks EXACTLY like Cloud, when he's crossdressing :lol:

Quilty

Magister
JarlFrank said:
Also, King of fucking Dragon Pass. One of the most amazing (and obscure) games ever.

This. :salute:

In my case it's the first Tropico. I'm not sure how many of you played it, but something about that game just draws me to it. I replay it every year and usually in long-ass marathon sittings.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Clockwork Knight said:
I was going to mention Urban Chaos. So, uhhh...

Silver. It's the unholy child of Baldur's Gate and Diablo ( and FF7, if you look at the screenshots :lol:). You control one guy at a time and the party is controlled by AI + behaviour pointers (kinda like FO2), but you can change whenever you want. Everyone had special attacks that were activated by mouse gestures. Don't remember if it costed MP or if they had cooldown periods. Weapons felt different from each other, and some had cool properties and attacks.

Supposedly it has voice acting but I never heard it because in my version I had to choose between english VA or portuguese subtitles. The story wasn't anything special, but enoyable (the wizard king wants a wife so he kidnaps all nubile maidens around, your sister among them. Are you a bad enough dude to rescue her? Oh, and his son killed your uncle too)

http://pcmedia.ign.com/media/reviews/im ... 1_640w.jpg

http://www.file-extensions.org/imgs/app ... silver.jpg

edit: fuck, I just noticed that your sister (second screenshot) looks EXACTLY like Cloud, when he's crossdressing :lol:
CD Expert. :salute:

Didn't like that game though, shitty gfx.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom