Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Company News Can you write? Bioware wants your mad skillz

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Tags: BioWare

<a href=http://www.bioware.com>Bioware</a> is looking for some <a href=http://www.bioware.com/biozone/articles/2005_11_30_WritingContest/index.html>new talents</a> to replace aging David Gaider. So, if you think you can write lines like "I'm teh Revan! Surprise, bitches!", all you gotta do is make a NWN module featuring the following, and someone will get back to you eventually. Or not.
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>[hype]BioWare is holding one of the most exciting contests in our history. Anyone who has dreamed of writing professionally will find this a unique opportunity to get their work noticed by the right people. We are looking for exceptionally talented writers to help develop our award-winning roleplaying games.[/hype]
<br>
<br>
BioWare's Director of Design James Ohlen and Assistant Director of Design Kevin Barrett have agreed to make the process of submitting work as easy as possible for writers looking to work for BioWare. Here is what you need to know to enter:
<br>
<br>
BioWare asks for writers to create a Neverwinter Nights module to tell their story using the Aurora Toolset. There are a lot of options to consider when creating a module in the Toolset, but it is important to remember that BioWare will only be interested in the writing.
<br>
<br>
When hiring writers, BioWare looks only at your writing; not the areas, not the special scripting, and not the combat. We evaluate only the characters, the dialogue, the plot, the non-linear structure, and the flow and pace of the story. To be eligible for this contest, please submit a Neverwinter Nights module that follows these parameters:
<br>
<br>
* A maximum of four characters. One player character and a maximum of three non-playable characters.
<br>
* A maximum of 3500 words in total including dialogue and setting.
<br>
* You must tell a complete story in the form of a traditional BioWare side-quest and account for different endings/ multiple resolutions.
<br>
* You are only allowed to use one 4x4 area in the Toolset to tell your whole story.
<br>
* No combat or special skill use.
<br>
* Just use the NWN retail toolset; don’t use any community add-ons.
<br>
<br>
Some additional guidelines to keep in mind:
<br>
<br>
* Dialogue should be no longer than 2-3 lines at a time.
<br>
* Do not use modern slang.
<br>
* Use a medieval fantasy setting.
<br>
<br>
BioWare needs good writers to make the best games we can and we are asking all of you to tell us a story.</blockquote>Here is the best part:
<br>
<br>
<blockquote><b>FAQ: So, if I win I start working for BioWare?</b>
<br>
<br>
No. The winning entries will be reviewed by BioWare senior staff James Ohlen and Kevin Barrett, but no employment is guaranteed.</blockquote>Translation: We don't want your stupid ass, we want your story.
<br>

Tintin

Arbiter
Though I can see why they would write that as a precaution, it does sound pretty stupid after all that "be a writer!" stuff. Be a writer, show us your skills, start developing our games, work at Bioware, "if I win I can work there?" No.

Twinfalls

Erudite
No doubt 'contestants' have to agree to BonoWare plundering all the stories submitted, free of remuneration.

First outsourcing, now drift-netting for story material with loose promises of employment.

BonoWare - Shamelessly Making Stuff as Cheaply as Possible.

MarFish

Liturgist
The contest page says they want a short subquest, not a story, so I doubt a lot of cash is to be made and putting an employment not guaranteed limitation in there is a sensible thing to do, after all people like Volourn or VD could read it

VD's getting more bitter from day to day, his posts become more hateful from day to day and I'm not sure if it's Gayder or VD who are aging fast enough to be replaced.

Maybe Sol Invictus with his bronze body and poetic language will enter the contest?

Dgaider

Liturgist
Developer
Plunder their stories? Unlikely. We've never used a story from a submission before -- and, from all the ones I've ever read, they generally wouldn't be worth using anyhow. Or if they were, they wouldn't work in the context of our story/world/whatever anyway as the plots tend to be pretty specific.

As for the caution thing at the end -- I guess what they're saying is you don't win a job automatically, you win a chance at a job? Though I suppose if the very best submission they get is enough to win the contest but not enough to actually get a job at Bioware the entire point of the exercise will be moot, but I suppose they don't want to establish any false expectations.

Twinfalls

Erudite
Though I suppose if the very best submission they get is enough to win the contest but not enough to actually get a job at Bioware the entire point of the exercise will be moot, but I suppose they don't want to establish any false expectations.

If BonoWare were so keen on avoiding false expectations I reckon a good start would be to avoid 'YOU CAN WIN THE EMPLOYMENT LOTTERY' type language like:

BioWare is holding one of the most exciting contests in our history. Anyone who has dreamed of writing professionally will find this a unique opportunity to get their work noticed by the right people. We are looking for exceptionally talented writers to help develop our award-winning roleplaying games.

Dgaider said:
Plunder their stories? Unlikely. We've never used a story from a submission before -- and, from all the ones I've ever read, they generally wouldn't be worth using anyhow

Well at least you're honest.

Gaider to fans: "YOU ALL SUCK"

Whipporowill

Erudite
I feel sorry for all the garbage Ohlen and Barret will have to wade through, the trauma they'll have submit their eyeballs too... urgh. As for the cautionary part - imagine they get all crap material, why'd Bioware want to hire anyone? I certainly don't blame them for it, knowing their fanbase... ;)

Vault Dweller

Developer
Hmm, that's a tough one. How about saying "nobody's won anything on account of low quality of submissions"? No? Too politically incorrect? Everyone must win?

Vault Dweller

Developer
MarFish said:
The contest page says they want a short subquest, not a story, so I doubt a lot of cash is to be made and putting an employment not guaranteed limitation in there is a sensible thing to do, after all people like Volourn or VD could read it
See my post right above this one.

VD's getting more bitter from day to day, his posts become more hateful from day to day and I'm not sure if it's Gayder or VD who are aging fast enough to be replaced.
Bitter? You call that post bitter and hateful? Wow.

Frau Bishop

Erudite
Free work for free people.
Like someone on slashdot said..:
----
Oh, and you'll also get this t-shirt... signed by the guy who used to have your job!
He, uh, left for some reason.

Hey, wait a minute. He wrote something on the back. It says:

"Kill ... Me..."

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
I should just submit Fan Made Fallout to them.

Actually, that one should go to Bethesda. BioWare can have my Arcanum mod.

Of course... When they're finished. Just give me another 20 years or so.

Ellester

Liturgist
Vault Dweller said:
<a href=http://www.bioware.com>Bioware</a> is looking for some <a href=http://www.bioware.com/biozone/articles/2005_11_30_WritingContest/index.html>new talents</a> to replace aging David Gaider.
chuckle :lol:

Hamster

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014
* A maximum of four characters. One player character and a maximum of three non-playable characters.
* No combat or special skill use.
* Dialogue should be no longer than 2-3 lines at a time.
FedEx quest with three checkpoints. Great. Immensive. Powerful.

Rat Keeng

Liturgist
The life of an adventurer is long and hard, and Yukaneet Makog's fearless band of warriors is resting by the seaside, when a man dressed in rags comes running towards them.

A. Hey! Someone stole my fishing rod! Can you brave adventurers help me?
1. Yes. - go to B
2. Yes, gladly. - go to B
3. I guess so. - go to B

B. Thank you kind souls, do you have any questions about the quest?
1. Where is it? - go to C
2. Who took it?- go to C
3. What does it look like? - go to C
4. When did you last have it? - go to C
5. Where was it stolen from? - go to C
6. I guess so. - go to C

C. You should ask Aymona Ge'cha over there, he knows stuff. Please hurry, my family is starving!
1. Okay. - quit dlg
2. Okay, goodbye kind sir. - quit dlg
3. I guess so. - quit dlg

Couple months later, after recovering the only fishing rod in the world...

A. Did you find it yet? Please, we're starving!
1. Yes, here you go. - go to B
2. Yeah, but I want something for it. - go to B2
3. I guess so. - go to B

B. Oh thank you, thank you! I'm afraid I have nothing to pay you with, we're starving you see. I have only this priceless magical ring that was my grandfather's, will you accept this as a reward?
1. Yes. - go to C
2. Yes, gladly. - go to C
3. I guess so. - go to C

B2. Please, I cannot pay you anything, we're starving! I have only this priceless magical ring that was my grandfather's, will you accept this as a reward?
1. Yes. - go to C
2. Yes, gladly. - go to C
3. I guess so. - go to C

C. Bless you sirs, you have saved my family! Oh, and I heard you're looking for an evil wizard, you should try looking in the town of Kutayfooqjah, by the tavern near the blacksmith, third house from the entrance, I heard he might be there but I'm not sure.
1. Thanks. - quit dlg
2. Thanks, gladly. - quit dlg
3. I guess so. - quit dlg

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
You forgot about non-linearity.

The family should not only need a fishing rod, but also some bait for fishing, and you could acquire either the rod or the bait first, depending on the order in which you decide to visit the easternmost and the westernmost reaches of the continent.

Now we have both choice and non-linearity.

Roqua

Prospernaut
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual In My Safe Space
Wait a second. Lets say you were to get a job at bioware, wouldn't you have to move to Canada?

Is any job worth that? Thats kind of like moving to South Dakota but without all the big city excitment. And you'd have to see french written on everything. Thats proabably why Canadians are so gay, they see too much french. Its like estrogen in written form.

I don't think one of the bioware guys likes me either. Oh well, I would rather get a job at an rpg developer if I were too want to get into the video gaming industry.

TheGreatGodPan

Arbiter
Roqua said:
And you'd have to see french written on everything. Thats proabably why Canadians are so gay, they see too much french. Its like estrogen in written form.
I noticed something like that after listening to "Tristesses de la Lune" by Celtic Frost on Pandora personal radio.

Drakron

Arcane
I always find funny when americans complain about the french ... I guess they are busy writting off French aid to their Revolution.

The English are ruled by a bunch of germans and were once conquered by the French.

I guess is what happen when someone uses their head and do roll up into the latest military adventure some idiot things its a good idea ...

Canada bows down to Quebec because its the most developed part of Canada, besides Canada always won the wars they were part off, either as a British colony or as a nation ... also they were smart enough to stay away from both the American Shield and the Iraq military adventure.

By all means ... eat more freedom fries.

RGE

Liturgist
Rat Keeng forgot the part where refusing the reward earns the noble adventurer an even bigger reward than accepting/demanding a reward would. :cry:

Roqua said:
Wait a second. Lets say you were to get a job at bioware, wouldn't you have to move to Canada?

Is any job worth that?
That's not what's holding me back, it's the thought of actually having to work. :|

Roqua

Prospernaut
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual In My Safe Space
Okay, I like fries. I'm also 1st generation American so the french didnt help shit during any revolutions in my people's time. Guess what, lady? I'm half Italian. My people concured all the known world. Guess what else? I'm half cape verdean. I'm part niger, part port-a-gee. Guess what else? You're a fucking pussy probably. Guess what else. My cock is probably way fucking than yours. Guess what else? My parents were born in neither Cape Verea or Italy (sicily). My dad, the part niger was born in pussy land, also know as france. My mother was born in tunis. My mother was born into an arabic country that was a french territory and was sicilian. And its in Africa.

And guess what else? You're stupid. France is gay. Fuck france. Fuck canada. And fuck any other whinney ass pussy country filled with cry baby bitches. Fuck em. Right in their bitch asses. I'd love to tie freedom fries into my pubic hairs and tea bag you, you fucking queer. Fuck the south while we're at it. I can't stand those fuckers either. And the irish of course. Little short stinky bastards and their beady eyes. And the English. Their pussies too. And college kids. They are basically french, or at best maybe french canadian. Who cares, it all equals pussy. Like you, pussyface.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom