Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Skyrim is Going to Make You its Bitch

a budda

Arbiter
play? - yes (modded), pay? - well...

just steer clear of 150 dungeons and go sightseeing
no-one is raging about hunting sims, why rage about hiking sims?

Luzur

Good Sir
Xor said:
"It's not like you can defeat all of the dragons and they'll cease to exist – they'll always be there in the game."

So instead of being unique they'll just be random enemies that respawn infinitely.

wow, now that took away alot of the mystique about them.

fuck.

GarfunkeL said:
So IGN doesn't even ask for dragon mounts to be in-game, except as DLC. When did the world get so fucked up?

Chances are Bethesda is writing the articles in the first place, otherwise IGN wouldn't be getting the interview if Bethesda wasn't able to work its marketing magic.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
GarfunkeL said:
So IGN doesn't even ask for dragon mounts to be in-game, except as DLC. When did the world get so fucked up?
I guess it would be a gamebreaker to mount on the dragon, fly to last boss castle, land on the roof and fuck his level-scaled ass. Not that you ain't gonna be able to do that on foot... :M

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
18f8gj.png

Luzur

Good Sir
Crispy said:
Uh, why mount a dragon to beat the final boss when by then you're going to BE a dragon?

Duh.

DLC 2 will add in dragons that you can mount while being a dragon.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Zed said:
At least they made it a spell, a spell you don't have to use. Better than having to mod out quest compass.
Problem is, Oblivion was designed with the quest compass in mind, and Skyrim may well be too - think obscure fetch quests with tiny objects hidden in massive levels, wandering NPCs that are impossible to find, kill X of a special monster type, that sort of thing. The quest compass was as much a bad idea for gameplay as it was a design crutch, and simply turning it off doesn't fix the problem.

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
So, Oblivion, is it as shit as people say? I mean, that is my opinion since I tried it on release, and have rageuninstalled it after about 40 minutes of gameplay. Twice. But hey, does it deserve another chance, maybe with patches or whatever?

sea said:
Problem is, Oblivion was designed with the quest compass in mind, and Skyrim may well be too - think obscure fetch quests with tiny objects hidden in massive levels, wandering NPCs that are impossible to find, kill X of a special monster type, that sort of thing. The quest compass was as much a bad idea for gameplay as it was a design crutch, and simply turning it off doesn't fix the problem.

Made even worse with the new dynamic quest thing where entire locations for quests are dynamically picked and won't be explained through voice nor text.

Machocruz

Arcane
Jools said:
So, Oblivion, is it as shit as people say? I mean, that is my opinion since I tried it on release, and have rageuninstalled it after about 40 minutes of gameplay. Twice. But hey, does it deserve another chance, maybe with patches or whatever?

Oblivion is a road going nowhere.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I was going to make that image when I had time. Oh well.

sea said:
Zed said:
At least they made it a spell, a spell you don't have to use. Better than having to mod out quest compass.

OB had none of these problems though, so I'm not expecting it in Skyrim. NPCs you really need to find never wander far away from their favorite places. If they do, because of a quest, there's a way to find where they went, usually by asking neighbours. When you're told to go somewhere people either mark it on your map (so you could just open it once in a while) or you're given some indications. Not as detailed as in Morrowind, but "that mine northeast of town", which I never found as insufficient as people claim.

The only "find / kill X of Y" quest where I sorta needed the compass was the one where you have to hunt a dozen special slaughterfish on a big lake (even then, they are the only creatures in the lake, so you could do without the compass if you have patience). I never found much use for the quest compass. It's neither bad nor good, it's just...there. It's not really needed, because the gameworld and the quest design aren't that complex.

torpid

Liturgist
While the lack of hand-holding and clear story objectives in Morrowind – and to a slightly lesser extent Oblivion – brought a sense of liberation to some, it also spelt intimidation to others who struggled for a sense of purpose without obvious checkpoint markers dragging them through the narrative.

The one thing I hate the most about game journos is their habit of taking into account the opinion of retards. "This game will please the hardcore contingent, but more casual players might find themselves overwhelmed"; "an interesting game but far too challenging to get into for most players..." When thinking the game is too hard because you couldn't find Caius is treated as a legitimate position, there can be only decline.

Skyrim is infinitely more detailed and lush in appearance, with an incredible draw distance that doesn't just extend out into the horizon but upward to the peaks of the towering mountains that loom large over the landscape.

Who writes this tripe? What a horrible sentence.

Trojan_generic

Magister
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
torpid said:
The one thing I hate the most about game journos is their habit of taking into account the opinion of retards.

This is not a problem at all. The problem is that game developers might take the opinion of retards into account.

Why on earth did Bethesda take the Caius-seeking idiots' opinions into account? Because THESE PEOPLE ARE SO UNBELIEVABLY STUPID THAT THEY CALL THE FUCKING HELPLINE to get help with the game. And therefore they got their voices heard.

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
sea said:
Zed said:

To a certain extent I find myself agreeing, although, if the alternative to the quest compass is the "glittering path" (or similar retardo-proof device), the quest compass becomes by far the lesser of two evils, even if the quests have been designed around it. Goddammit, even Quake 2 didn't have anything of the sort and the levels were way less linear than those in most of today's RPG.

Honestly, I can't even remember the last time I found myself "lost" or "wandering" in frustration. Yes, we've stoopd so low that at this point I'd even welcome the frustration of not finding a quest location/item/NPC over the big massive shiny arrows pointing to it.

Kaanyrvhok

Arbiter
The Clairvoyance spell would be fine if it was a low to midlevel spell and not some base cantrip that a half drunk Barbarian could cast right out the slam.

Speaking of decline, I was just watching this LP. Halfway the conversation with Mannimarco, the guy is mashing the "accept" buton and screaming OH GOD ENOUGH JUST LET ME KILL YOU ALREADY.

Then he complains about Manny draining his strength. Cue two minutes of the guy skimming through his inventory wondering why he's suddenly overencumbered. He's carrying a bigass claymore with a shitty 5 fire damage enchantment, but instead of dropping it he chooses to stay on the spot being pelted with fireballs and paralysis until he dies. I don't know if he's trying tomake it entertaining, but fuck

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbvVapQ6reM

Kaanyrvhok

Arbiter
Clockwork Knight said:
Speaking of decline, I was just watching this LP. Halfway the conversation with Mannimarco, the guy is mashing the "accept" buton and screaming OH GOD ENOUGH JUST LET ME KILL YOU ALREADY.

Then he complains about Manny draining his strength. Cue two minutes of the guy skimming through his inventory wondering why he's suddenly overencumbered. He's carrying a bigass claymore with a shitty 5 fire damage enchantment, but instead of dropping it he chooses to stay on the spot being pelted with fireballs and paralysis until he dies. I don't know if he's trying tomake it entertaining, but fuck

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbvVapQ6reM

Thats amazing. Manny was the biggest joke in the game. He was billed as a god and died in few seconds when I faced him. He killed himself with his own spells. Decent reflection buffs and it was a 10 second fight.

Lol he said it was on the easiest difficulty.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom