Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RPS loves potato cock and hates the Codex

Self-Ejected

Drog Black Tooth

Self-Ejected
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/07 ... witcher-2/
Jim: The Witcher 2: this year’s witchiest RPG has been played by we three men, and now those men aim to discuss it. Kieron, would you like to tell us what you think The Witcher 2 is?

Kieron: The Witcher 2 is a role-playing game, of course, you big ninny, sequel to the successful previous game, it’s a single-character game – so you only control Mr Witcher. But it’s main “things” are the moral tone (generally dubious) and the wide available choices (generally general).

Jim: What about that dude in the RPS comments who says that anything that isn’t a turn-based RPG from 1987 isn’t an RPG?

Kieron: That guy in the comments thread is basically a spam-bot from RPG codex. It’s not a real person.

Jim: That makes sense.

Richard: Anyone who says that clearly used Intelligence as their dump stat. Yeah. You just got +2 burned…

Epsilon

Cipher
RPS is a mainstream site eventhough they like to say they're not.
Fact is they write reviews for eurogamer, so they need to be able to appeal to the masses and can't be as elite as the average codex user is, or would like to think he/she is, concerning crpg's.
So I suppose what I'm trying to say is; who cares what they think?

Rivmusique

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Richard said:
Anyone who says that clearly used Intelligence as their dump stat. Yeah. You just got +2 burned…
Oh snap. Damn guys, yall just got PWND hommies!

Damn internet gaming culture, stop this shit now.

MMXI

Arcane
Clockwork Knight said:
Why do I have the feeling they added this part to make the guy's argument look bad?
Because they probably did.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Clockwork Knight said:
Jim: What about that dude in the RPS comments who says that anything that isn’t a turn-based RPG from 1987 isn’t an RPG?

Why do I have the feeling they added this part to make the guy's argument look bad?

Why argue when you can ad hominem?

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Still, we're getting more and more famous. I wonder if we're becoming mainstream, slowly and subtly.

DA2 doesn't sell? Blame codex.
Twitcher 2 receives bad comments? blame codex.
Skyrim has bugs? blame codex.

What are we gonna get blamed for, next? Oslo attacks? HIV? Lybian situation? Split ends? Montezuma's revenge? Desertification? Chlamidia?

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
when dead state is released codex will be blamed for forcing doublebear to make it in turn based mode to get positive reviews from our prestigious and influential magazine

as the internet knows codex community approval is like the pulitzer prize for rpgs and even good rpgs like dragon age 2 have suffered loss in positive gamer mindshare because they weren't turn based

Jools said:
Skyrim has bugs? blame codex.

If we are noisy enough...

tumblr_lmhhg2MPJu1qa7zndo1_500.jpg

Multi-headed Cow

Ed123 said:
RPS is basically the crème de la crème of the PC Gamer UK staff, some of them raised on a diet of obscure Amiga Power memes. I think 90% of their opnions are fucking retarded but it still puts them miles ahead of most other gaming blogs.
Kinda this. RPS overhypes stuff, especially indies, especially especially indies that can jerk off IS IT ART boners like 1eyedking, but they're still the best gaming news page I've found. I also like Giantbomb, but entirely for their videos. I don't think I've ever seen a good written article there. Just like to stop by and watch them do dumb things and herp derp. Generally the most entertaining when they're playing a spectacularly bad game like Call of Juarez the Cartel.

Just occurred to me they never reviewed Dragon Age 2. Wonder what's up with that. I remember them doing a quick look or two of the game, and even doing a preview with one of the Bioware shitheads. GNOMISH CONSPIRACY. :M

Multi-headed Cow

Oh, I was talking Giantbomb for the DA2 review. Pretty sure RPS did review DA2. I seem to recall disappointed noises from them about it compared to the first which was the pinnacle of modern old-school RPG gaming, yup.

Plus they recently did a blurb on the DLC and made it sound like people were being jerks for picking on DA2 so much and how Bioware listened to everything and fixed it for the DLC. Obviously.

7hm

Scholar
RPS suffers from the same thing almost all games "journalism" suffers from. And the same thing all sports "journalism" suffers from.

They're fans of what they cover first, journalists second.

Plus the payola. Some are better than others for that. RPS seems to be about the norm.

Despite Kieron being pretty damn pretentious at times, he was the best of the bunch. They declined when he moved on from regular posting. They inclined when Quinn moved on (which is odd, because I liked most of Quinn's early posts, but his later stuff was... ugh).

el Supremo

Augur
Patron
To be fair, turn based combat is like black and white TV. It has it's charms, and there are films I cannot imagine in color. Yeah, now and again some arthouse movie can launch in black and withe. But it is clearly the thing of a past, has it's in-born limitations, and cannot be expected from contemporary franchise.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Gordon Freeman said:
To be fair, turn based combat is like black and white TV. It has it's charms, and there are films I cannot imagine in color. Yeah, now and again some arthouse movie can launch in black and withe. But it is clearly the thing of a past, has it's in-born limitations, and cannot be expected from contemporary franchise.
To be fair, whoever made that comparison is one fucking moron.

Oriebam

Formerly M4AE1BR0-something
I didn't check the link with the alleged dexer, but if this Kieron guy took the statement seriously, he probably browses the codex and that was probably his way of saying that it's just a codexian fuckwad/persona trying to look funny or get a laugh

also
Kadayi, you are talking nonsense. RPS is not a site that espouses one particular style of gaming, thus to say that being a fan of hardcore RPGs is somehow against the ethos of the site is a very irrational comment to make, since the site has no such ethos. Not only that,but sites like the RPGcodex and The Escapist that are fascist with what opinions they let be posted are not fun sites to be on. You don’t agree with what Wizardry says, and that seems to make him objectively wrong (and a mental patient to boot!) Frankly, the site’s owners may say as they please, I very rarely agree with 100% of what they say and I daresay that not one reader here does. We are all human. It just seems strange that Wizardry’s opinions aren’t tolerated by some members of the RPS “community”. If I called someone who liked CoD a newfag and told him to GTFO, the fact that most people would agree with me would not save me from being banned. By the same token, I don’t think the fact that most people like Mass Effect &c entitles posters to call someone who doesn’t like it a mental patient, in whatever oblique terms. I’m nowhere near as hardcore as Wizardry here, and indeed I am rather ambivalent to this whole affair, but I often find it grating that some people on RPS take their opinion to be some kind of gaming canon, untouchable by others after one of the site’s contributors has endorsed it. For pity’s sake, Wizardry is a regular on the site who has an opinion you don’t agree with. Just let it go.
:smug:

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
turn based combat is like vertically flying bee. some will like it, most will hate it. but it's cool, because not everything needs to fly horizontally.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Turn based combat in RPG's is like the faint whiff of urine on a man's boxer shorts: sure you can do without it, by why would you want to?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom