Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Oblivion overview at GameSpy

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Tags: Bethesda Softworks; Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion

There is a <a href=http://xbox.gamespy.com/articles/673/673643p5.html>short overview</a> of <a href=http://www.elderscrolls.com>Oblivion</a> at <a href=http://www.gamespy.com>GameSpy</a>:
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>There are a lot of reasons to be excited about this game, from the <u>deep character creation</u> and customization system to the amazing AI that actually allows every NPC in the game to learn new skills. It's probably the closest that any game has come to presenting a living, breathing world, <u>one where your actions don't influence everything around you.</u> Instead, you're just another inhabitant, albeit one that is trying to save the kingdom from the forces of evil. Plus, you've got to be psyched about a game that lets you hack and slash at your enemies from the first-person perspective without it feeling like a gimmick. </blockquote>Yes. Psyched.
<br>
<br>
<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://www.rpgdot.com">RPG Dot</A>

Naked_Lunch

Erudite
Instead, you're just another inhabitant, albeit one that is trying to save the kingdom from the forces of evil.
Walk out the door, kill some baddies and save the world from impending armageddeon, just another boring day in Tamriel.
Plus, you've got to be psyched about a game that lets you hack and slash at your enemies from the first-person perspective without it feeling like a gimmick.
A gimmick? We've had first-person hack 'n slashers since Might and Magic. If it was a gimmick, it most certainly would've been worn thin by now.

Section8

Cipher
God I hate the gaming media.

The last game in this popular RPG series, Morrowind was one of the Xbox's most beloved games, so it's no surprise that Bethesda Softworks is taking its time to make the new game one of the 360's must-have titles. While fans were bummed that the game didn't make the launch date, they have every reason to feel safe with the knowledge that the finished product will kick some serious medieval ass. The game is presented from a first-person view, allowing you to feel even more immersed in the immense world that the developer has created. Stunning graphics and highly realistic lighting effects add to the realism, as does a nice variety of environments, from sprawling forests to claustrophobia-inducing dungeons.

OMFG I am so ready to "kick some serious medieval ass"!! And for the sake of fuck, people need to shut the fuck up about "immersion." It's become a meaningless buzzword, and needs to be dissociated from "realism."

Also, I'd be very dubious of the "nice variety of environments," and I'd hope Bethesda haven't decided to include an icy bit, a desert bit, a swamp, and whatever other fucking environment cliche just for the sake of it. Likewise, more importantly, do these varied environments have differing gameplay components. Morrowind could be said to have a great range of varied environments, since all major regions have a fairly unique style to them, but you're still just running around getting the shits at cliff racers, no matter where you go.

There are a lot of reasons to be excited about this game, from the deep character creation and customization system to the amazing AI that actually allows every NPC in the game to learn new skills. It's probably the closest that any game has come to presenting a living, breathing world, one where your actions don't influence everything around you. Instead, you're just another inhabitant, albeit one that is trying to save the kingdom from the forces of evil. Plus, you've got to be psyched about a game that lets you hack and slash at your enemies from the first-person perspective without it feeling like a gimmick.

Radical dude! I'm like, totalled psyched. So psyched that my part of my brain that handles slang got its punk ass kicked back into the 80s. That, and I really don't get the reference to gimmickry.

Gamespy need to die. I hope Jack Thompson has another brain snap and decides to target the gaming media instead. If nothing else, it will pester one of their employees to the tune of an email or two, and time spent on anything other than "content" is a big plus.

Zomg

Arbiter
Gamespy need to die. I hope Jack Thompson has another brain snap and decides to target the gaming media instead. If nothing else, it will pester one of their employees to the tune of an email or two, and time spent on anything other than "content" is a big plus.

How can we replace corporate game hype news-criticism without the replacement turning into some shitty Pitchfork Media we-swear-we're-not-ashamed-of-our-tastes black hole? I dunno, I find myself staring into the indie abyss and wishing there were some other way to get good games than an inevitably pathetic counterculture. I'm wracked with ambivalence.

anonymous21

Novice
Zomg said:

How can we replace corporate game hype news-criticism without the replacement turning into some shitty Pitchfork Media we-swear-we're-not-ashamed-of-our-tastes black hole? I dunno, I find myself staring into the indie abyss and wishing there were some other way to get good games than an inevitably pathetic counterculture. I'm wracked with ambivalence.

Dap Zomg Dap.

Section8

Cipher
Let's just pray the whole industry gets flushed down a Vivendi manufacture sewage system. ¡Viva le Revolución! or however it goes.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom