Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Blizzard extends a ginormous middle finger.

aron searle

Arcane
Varn said:
The problem with D3 and D2 in my view is the lack of world PvP with consequences for dying. In D2 they made it very hard to kill another player in the world because they got warned that you were coming by the fact you could only go hostile in town. And when hostile you couldn't tele through town portals. Even if you did manage to kill another player Eg by hunting them from the waypoint there were few consequences for them dying other than the loss of their gold and a loss of some XP. You couldn't loot any of their items, making PvP somewhat pointless other than as an annoyance for other players.

Yea, it was crap how in non hardcore there where not serious penalties. :/

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The d2 pvp feature is primarily there for players to duel each other. Going into random games and attacking people who don't want to fight is pretty much just trolling. Though highly entertaining trolling since the people who do it aren't usually very good. I have fond memories of one dumbfuck going hostile, getting killed by monsters then begging people to help him get his corpse back.

Menckenstein

Lunacy of Caen: Todd Reaver
Mastermind said:
The d2 pvp feature is primarily there for players to duel each other. Going into random games and attacking people who don't want to fight is pretty much just trolling. Though highly entertaining trolling since the people who do it aren't usually very good. I have fond memories of one dumbfuck going hostile, getting killed by monsters then begging people to help him get his corpse back.

Did you trap the shit out of the area around his corpse and build a house out of all the ears he left behind?

malichaixx

Novice
Overweight Manatee said:
inb4 Blizzard removes one of those 3 and is hailed as the best developer ever for listening and caring for its customers.

I'm willing to guess it will be the one thing that causes them to lose most of their fanbase after the figures for the first six months of sales are in. Unless they're even more stupid than we think.

This has really pissed me off. I could forgive the character class changes/removals, the more colorful graphics, and the addition of physics. I don't like the online only aspect, but oh well. The RMAH just tells me they're just pissing all over their fanbase. This is supposed to be Diablo 3, not some cutesy-wutesy Asian MMO charging real money for fake stuff.

Diablo 3: Second Life with Demons

malichaixx

Novice
DragoFireheart said:
Trash said:
Welcome to the biggest video gaming controversy of 2011. Blizzard decided to give its fans some more news on the upcoming Diablo III. With it their customers also recieved a kick in the face.

1) The game requires a constant internet connection. It cannot be played offline.

- Who the fuck played Diablo 2 off-line?

I did, actually. Beat Hell mode on it too. I didn't need someone holding my hand, thank you.

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
kris said:
PvP have no place in a game like Diablo. We are talking about a linear game were you mash your way through waves of enemies, preferably in a group. Having PvP in a game like that is just strange and I would personally never participate.

I agree. But I also feel the same way about WoW.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
malichaixx said:
DragoFireheart said:
Trash said:
Welcome to the biggest video gaming controversy of 2011. Blizzard decided to give its fans some more news on the upcoming Diablo III. With it their customers also recieved a kick in the face.

1) The game requires a constant internet connection. It cannot be played offline.

- Who the fuck played Diablo 2 off-line?

I did, actually. Beat Hell mode on it too. I didn't need someone holding my hand, thank you.

What the fuck does holding your hand have to do with whether you play online or offline?

pocahaunted

Arcane
Diablo's PvP was complete shit. People who moan about the loss of world pvp in Diablo must be have been the same people running pindlebots and other assorted dumbfuckery.

That being said, you can't even compare Diablo with a game like UO, which had a much bigger scope and was superior in pretty much every way. Still, playing on shards with low availability of magical items was the best route. Having to PK people while donning leather rags and then acquiring a full suit of armor was a pretty entertaining experience. Plus, housing/player towns and actually being able to RP a scoundrel was insanely fun.

Kaanyrvhok

Arbiter
Why is this in the General RPG forum? If Jade Empire doesn't belong neither does Diablo.

St. Toxic

Arcane
Varn said:
Contrast this with Ultima Online, which I played for a long time. You could attack anyone in the world or even in town whenever you felt like it. If you managed to kill another player you could loot everything they had on their person and keep it. This meant that items were extremely important because they enabled you to both survive in the world and also to become a player-killer.

Not sure we played the same game here, though I too thoroughly enjoyed UO and its pvp, but I seem to remember skills being the defining factor -- not gear. A sufficiently beefy character could even do serious damage with the starting dagger, and although the top tier magic items were superior, most players saved them for special occasions and the toughest possible opponents, while the day-to-day hunting or pking was executed with lower or middle tier items. Sure you wanted an edge against the opponent you were facing, but if you were simply skilled enough you could do real damage even with the basic vendor stock. And don't forget magic, which had almost nothing to do with items at all.

In my experience, the number one use of rare and powerful items was bragging rights. People would lock them down on display in their houses and guildhalls and rarely ever use them for anything because, as you said, unless you could find a way to bind the item to your character, any stupid mistake on your part or even server-side issues could potentially mean that you would lose it.

Unique and bound items from events, which were introduced a bit later, well, they did get worn out and many were irreparable or required godlike crafting skills which your character might not have. Again, in many cases they did little other than take up space and were mostly reserved for ceremonies.

Joghurt

Augur
Yep in the early days of UO (before AoS expansion) even the most powerful guys were running around in middle tier gear because the risk of loosing your gear in that game was very high. That's pretty much the reason I loved UO in the first years and still consider it one of the best MMOs ever - the risk, the fear of dying and loosing your gear was pretty much everywhere. No other MMO was able to give me that feeling of running away from PKs or trying to kill a very powerful PK with a group of friends. I remember using my best gear only on special occasions because I knew that I could loose it pretty easily. Plus as St. Toxic said - gear was never that important in that game, it's the character skill that mattered.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Kaanyrvhok said:
Why is this in the General RPG forum? If Jade Empire doesn't belong neither does Diablo.

Diablo 2 has a better and more complex character system than Fallout for the type of game it is. If Diablo doesn't belong here, neither does fallout.

Kaanyrvhok

Arbiter
Mastermind said:
Kaanyrvhok said:

Diablo 2 has a better and more complex character system than Fallout for the type of game it is. If Diablo doesn't belong here, neither does fallout.

Well in that case we need an NBA 2k11 sticky

my-player.JPG

That doesn't include half of it. Really it doesn't. Doesn't include the faction (team). The inventory (equipment), or the 30+ animations that you can choose.

I'm being facetious

Still I dont see how Diablo has a more complex system than Fallout or Jade Empire. Diablo may just be more balanced so stuff matters more.

kris

Arcane
Mastermind said:
Kaanyrvhok said:

Diablo got an archetype system in which you choose what part of your archetypes skilltree to go along. There isn't much more to it. but it fits the game really well.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Kaanyrvhok said:
Still I dont see how Diablo has a more complex system than Fallout

Fallout has a handful of useful skills, most of which do just one thing. Most of the perks are crap and don't really add anything to gameplay aside from increasing some number or another.

On the other end D2 has several classes each of which has several viable builds that in total gives you a lot more shit to do than Fallout. Granted, Fallout has some non-combat content, but D2 is an arpg so it hardly matters. D2 as an arpg is better than fallout is as both a c&cfag rpg and turn based tactical rpg.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Kaanyrvhok said:
Mastermind said:
Kaanyrvhok said:

my-player.JPG

That doesn't include half of it. Really it doesn't. Doesn't include the faction (team). The inventory (equipment), or the 30+ animations that you can choose.

Do you get to play your own character whose progression is in your hands? If yes, then it's just as much of an RPG as Fallout and D2. RPGs don't have to be all about combat.

Actually, I'd love to see a character sheet like that for a crpg. That puts popamole shit like the goldbox games to shame.

Nael

Arcane
The only MMOs I enjoyed PVP in were Everquest and EvE. And that was in large part due to the players themselves and very little to do with game mechanics.

Varn

Educated
I agree the original UO was based mostly on player skill, but when I came to play it I played on a custom shard that had PvP based on a mixture of player skill and level of items. You could defeat good players with crappy items but if they had uber suits with immunities etc. you couldn't do much without top level items.

The shard also had a large number of custom items that had far greater properties than those in the original game, again making items far more important.

J1M

Arcane
Kaanyrvhok said:
Mastermind said:
Kaanyrvhok said:

my-player.JPG

I'm being facetious

Still I dont see how Diablo has a more complex system than Fallout or Jade Empire. Diablo may just be more balanced so stuff matters more.
Hmm, high stealing, speed, and durability.
Low awareness.
This game looks too realistic.

asper

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Haha, an "emotion" stat in a basketball sim!? What does that even do

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
asper said:
Haha, an "emotion" stat in a basketball sim!? What does that even do
Imagine a player who jumps into you, filthy sweaty male. Now imagine refree would whistle your foul. Imagine it happens multiple times. Emotional characters would jump on the other player and try to strangle him.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom