Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Best company at coding in the mainstream right now?

deuxhero

Arcane
We all know pretty much all the mainstream devs suck at coding nowdays, are there any good ones?

If your game doesn't have a fullscreen windowed mode and gets seizures if you try to alt tab, you suck at coding.

SC2 has that though, so I suppose Blizzard isn't entirely bad.

Destroid

Arcane
Hahaha valve their graphics engine is pretty crappy. It's built on iD technology anyway.

baronjohn

Cipher
Blizzard good at coding?

SC2 looks like shit compared to Earth 2160 (released 2005) and runs about 50 times slower.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I have to go with id Software. Their game design is not the best, but the coding is rock solid. At least there is something John Carmack can do right.

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
Jowood's overall coding prowess was equaled only by their unflagging dedication to customer support

Mhain

Educated
Source lacks fullscreen alt tabbing despite constant updates (why no default windowed fullscreens?) and being there for 7 years.
iD games since Doom 3 (idTech 4) have shoddy performance, floatiness and nonconvincing animation quality for some reason.
Unreal Engine was used to create both weak games and masterpieces. So, Epic does deserve some recognition.
Blizzard's work on WoW was inspiring yet somehow I cannot say the same for SC2. However, they never disappoint in that their games are extremely portable and don't require any reg fixes. For that reason alone I have quite some respect for Blizzard.

deuxhero

Arcane
Admitedly, Obsidian leaves a game stable and free of most obvious bugs upon the final patch, so they are better than Bioware and Bethesda.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
Mhain said:
Source lacks fullscreen alt tabbing despite constant updates (why no default windowed fullscreens?) and being there for 7 years.
iD games since Doom 3 (idTech 4) have shoddy performance, floatiness and nonconvincing animation quality for some reason.
I alt tab in source engine games all the time. I dunno why you're having trouble. Doom 3 ran incredibly smooth on a much less powerful computer than I have now. The physics engine in that game sucked ass, but that wasn't a coding issue, it was a rushed-out-the-door issue.

Bruticis

curry said:
Piranha Bytes. Risen didn't have any bugs. :salute:
I was going to mention PB, then I noticed Gothic 3 sitting on my shelf.

Callaxes

Arbiter
Bruticis said:
I was going to mention PB, then I noticed Gothic 3 sitting on my shelf.

Which you bought and apparently is still sitting on your shelf.

Edit: Oh damn me, the thread is about coding, I didn't even read the whole title. Sorry, I take my little jab back.

MCA
Something I noticed about a number of Russian games: STALKER series, Konung series, Odium and a number of other titles I can't recall atm including some very obscure games, all had excellent performance, though many of them also had absolutely atrocious game design.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom