Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

40 minutes of Skyrimjob at Quakecon

baronjohn

Cipher
Trash said:
Why change around a winning formula? Wouldn't want to disappoint your fanbase.
Trash... Trash was different. He understood perfectly, but he just didn't care.

DraQ

Arcane
Looks moderately shit.

There are two pluses so far - unified control scheme for two of character's hands and perks. I could be charitable and fap over "OMG U CAN BAKE BREAD SALMON", except I'm dead-certain that it'll be just an orphan feature. Perk trees are a nice thing but definitely not an excuse for removal of attributes that formed the core of a character. Use based still makes no sense, exactly like in oblivious due to removal of failure mechanics, spellmaker being pulled is no less retarded with dual wieldable magic than without. 'Readied' spells look needlessly flamboyant - "look everyone, I'm burning my magicka doing what exactly?". 3D item view, could be potentially very cool feature, but it won't be used to any effect except maybe one or two token quests where an item will have informative engraving or something on the bottom which will stop consoletards dead in their tracks. Spell-school relations are often baffling (what do I alter by sensing life or other shit? How is clairvoyance illusion if knowing is the hard part, rather than drawing trail?), menus seem awkward as hell, ok, the map tickled my inner graphicswhore a bit.

Other than that, it's just slightly prettier oblivious with slightly less downscaled mountains.
Combat looks just as awkward and DR-esque finishers don't save it. AI is just as oblivious, you can shoot a guy in front of his fellow, without this fellow noticing. Spells look pretty meh. Dynamic snow (if it's actually dynamic rather than "lol we pre-generated the textures, but we used algorithm to do so, honestly!") is nifty, but purely cosmetic, so where does this leave us?

Ah, one more thing - is this how you look around with a pad?
Jesus. Fucking. Christ. I'd rather take my chances trying to grow a prehensile anus or something, but still play with mouse and board.
:retarded:

DraQ said:
AI is just as oblivious, you can shoot a guy in front of his fellow, without this fellow noticing.

He does notice and takes his weapon out, but he takes too long to get out of the "Oh shit, where did that come from?" phase, which while not being that great I still like better than having enemies instinctively know where I am, making my sneaking skills useful for first strikes only. Todd's character was level 24 or so, maybe it had maxed sneaking or something.

sser

Arcane
Developer
I'll buy it. The crowd was hilariously restless.

reaven

Educated
Who cares about anything in the game, everybody just awaits for the modders to add argonian dickgirls, lolis and dragon rape.

poetic codex

Augur
Todd still sounded like an excited nerd throughout that presentation which is much better than sounding like a businessman selling his product.

Doesn't seem like he's jaded yet unlike some developer I could name.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
I'll admit that the constellations skill screen looks more interesting than its still screenshot indicated but I'm sure it'll get old after seeing it for the 50th time.

But a finer hiking sim we'll not be getting for a long time so I'm sold. :smug:

Multi-headed Cow

poetic codex said:
Todd still sounded like an excited nerd throughout that presentation which is much better than sounding like a businessman selling his product.

Doesn't seem like he's jaded yet unlike some developer I could name.
To be honest I do kinda feel like Todd enjoys what he does. Oblivion and Fallout 3 were full of derp, but I always felt like it was well intentioned derp. Plus I've never heard them bitching about making PC versions of their games, and they always include the toolset so the finest of rape mods can be made. They also (From my half-assed experience) use less marketing doubletalk than Bioware. They try to implement things like "Radiant AI" and sell them, but I couldn't tell you if that was genuine smoke and mirrors or something that they couldn't get working well before launch and neutered.

They do a lot of stupid shit but credit where it's due. :salute:
(feel free to give me a free skyrim steam code for viral marketing the codex, pete. thank you)

OuterSpace

Scholar
those strafing animations are so painful to watch. This demo reveals nothing about quest design; hopefully radiant Story doesn't make everything generic.

Stabwound

Arcane
It's easy to see already that the dragons are going to be a major fucking annoyance.

I'll still play it without removing it from an inventory, though.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Ed123 said:
The first dungeon in Oblivion (Ayelid ruin across the lake) was a lot more varied and interesting than most of the other dungeons in the game. I'm sure the rest of Skyrim's dungeons will be total shit.

They only had one guy doing the dungeons in Oblivion :)retarded:). They got more this time.

Also, to the retards bitching about graphics: it's a thousand year old console. The PC master race version is bound to look better.

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Ugh. This just reminds me of how much I really want to play a good Elder Scrolls-esque game. This also reminds me of getting suckered into buying Oblivion.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
I'd actually take the jaded developer over the one who really believes the shit he develops is actually good and/or qualifies as an 'RPG.'

MCA
Looks boring. They finally outdid themselves by making preoccupied NPCs. It sure took them long. 10 years, 3 games and several expansions and even more DLCs long, to get slightly closer to U6 in that regard, or even the first Gothic game for a more fair comparison (3D & animations).

Sadly, they just cannot into combat. Still as utterly boring and retarded looking as ever.

Oh and they finally figured out environmental shadows! lol.

That little town looked better laid out and designed than anything in Oblivion, btw. Still can't get over just how full of dull generic crap the latter is.

If only they got combat right, just once, just so that I'd get a decent first person sword combat for once, I'd get the game for that alone.

As for the rest here, why exactly will you be buying this pos?

dextermorgan

Arcane
I don't care enough to watch the video but the question that bothers me is: did he climb any ladders during the presentation?

LADDERS!

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
OldSkoolKamikaze said:
Ugh. This just reminds me of how much I really want to play a good Elder Scrolls-esque game. This also reminds me of getting suckered into buying Oblivion.

install morro/dagger?

xemous

Arcane
u can tell the quake audience was just being polite none of them are gonna play that shit.

xemous

Arcane
all elderscrolls games are shit, including morro/dagger
its the huge worlds that suckers people in.

MCA
xemous said:
all elderscrolls games are shit, including morro/dagger
its the huge worlds that suckers people in.

No. Both Daggerfall and Morrowind are examplary games in doing several things splendidly, while falling in others miserably. After MW, it's all a nauseating blandness of mediocrity.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Konjad said:
Wowm this games looks EXACTLY like oblivion O.o

*Watches video.*
*video looks nothing like Oblivion*

The fu...

Oh.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom