Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

My Roguelike Cardinal Quest is now online!

ido

Novice
After many issues Cardinal Quest is now finally available on www.cardinalquest.com for windows, mac & linux!

Cardinal Quest is an arcade-style dungeon-crawler inspired by 1980s classics such as Gauntlet, Red-Box D&D and Golden Axe: Choose your champion and begin your quest to slay the Evil Minotaur!

Three distinct characters await you, each providing their own unique experience:

The Fierce Fighter - who can stir himself into a berserk frenzy.
The Stealthy Thief - a mysterious assassin who dispatches his foes from the shadows.
The Mystical Wizard - able to bend the forces of the elements to his will.

Have fun,
Ido.

ido

Novice
Haba said:
So uh... No demo, no further info than what you just posted...

Not true! The site got the video and screenshots ;)

EDIT: didn't realize a 5 euro game requires a demo. Will get one working in the coming weeks, still have loads to do.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
ido said:
Haba said:
So uh... No demo, no further info than what you just posted...

Not true! The site got the video and screenshots ;)

EDIT: didn't realize a 5 euro game requires a demo. Will get one working in the coming weeks, still have loads to do.

It does. Or then there needs to be enough credible information available.

5€ isn't a lot of money, but this isn't exactly like trying out a new beer in a bar either. We've no way of knowing what and how much we'll be served in the pint, after all.

Maybe try to get some respectable gaming magazines, such as RPGCodex, to do a review.

Castanova

Prophet
Looks interesting but it's tough to charge non-trivial money (I can get a major title off Steam for that money if it's being offered on sale) for what appears to be something of a coffeebreak roguelike. I would just release it for free, honestly, and drum up interest for whatever your next project will be.

ido

Novice
Castanova said:
Looks interesting but it's tough to charge non-trivial money (I can get a major title off Steam for that money if it's being offered on sale) for what appears to be something of a coffeebreak roguelike. I would just release it for free, honestly, and drum up interest for whatever your next project will be.

There will be no next game if I can't make enough money off of this one to support myself (it's currently going quite well actually).

I don't know how much lower than 5 euros I can really go for a PC game - remember that the major titles of steam also rarely start that low, they only get dirt cheap on sales.

ido

Novice
Castanova said:
In that case, then :salute:

Although my skeptical side wants to know what your expenses are if the sales from this game are supporting you. :lol:

They aren't yet, but from these first few hours it looks decent. Will have to wait for a little while to see the wider picture.

My expenses are pretty low, graphics & music were mostly contracted out (and/or done by friends) fairly inexpensively and I am trying to keep my living expenses as low as I can- you don't need to rake in the millions to support a single dev.

getter77

Augur
Keep at it, and I'd recommend taking a page from how the Dungeons of Dredmor folk had a variety of screens/videos to point people to, trailers, blog thing for feedback/comments for public perusal, etc.

Granted, they are a few guys versus your being solo, but I reckon at least some of it can apply. Also, if you'd thought about getting on Steam, word I've seen elsewhere mentions that you might do well to wait a tad until showing them the "best" version you reasonably can for the time. Gamersgate and Desura should be friendly venues regardless, maybe Impulse too.

The price seems fine to me.

ido

Novice
Thanks for the tips guys!

I will try to get to it as soon as I can, my hands are really full at the moment processing a lot of input triggered by the 1.0 release :)

Your support is really appreciated!

ido

Novice
Destroid said:
Golden Axe: Choose your champion and begin your quest to slay the Evil Minotaur!

Is that the subtitle of Golden Axe or what you do in your roguelike?

Golden Axe had a subtitle? And a minotaur? :o

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
ktjmG.png

he even has resplendent green briefs on

something to think about for your future patches

ido

Novice
sgc_meltdown said:
ktjmG.png

he even has resplendent green briefs on

something to think about for your future patches

Oh dear, I am sourly lacking in the briefs deparment :oops:

ido

Novice
Jaesun said:
ido said:
Jaesun said:
This has stat and stat based combat and skills?

It does.

Care sharing some screen shots of a characters stats and skills screen then?

You just find skill (or spells) in the dungeon, you don't learn them by gaining levels.

As for stats there are Attack (effects chance to hit), Defense (affects chance to evade), Speed (act more or less often), Spirit (affects skill/spell cool-down time: there is no mana) & vitality (determiens the number of hit-points you get per level).

All of these (and more) can be altered by your gear or spell you cast/are casted on you.

Groof

Educated
Yeah, would be nice with more videos and screenshots and that. And like, more written stuff on what the game is like.

Looks pretty neat anyway.

I've played a little Dungeons of Dredmor, and the graphics and animations and stuff there are kind of retarded. Like, you have to watch attack animations that take too long all the time. And every creature has some dumb idle animation so that the screen is always busy with creatures bouncing, even though nothing is really happening. Stuff like that. I'm only saying that because, judging by the video, your game looks like it gets the basics right. Looking better than most roguelikes without adding anything annoying that gets in the way. Is cool.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom