Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Expert says: Singleplayer games gone in 3 years

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-08-16-single-player-only-games-gone-in-3-years

"I believe the traditional single-player game experience will be gone in three years," Cerny told an audience at a behind-closed door, Sony-organised panel discussion on the future of video games, attended by Eurogamer, this evening.

"Right now you sit in your living room and you're playing a game by yourself – we call it the sp mission or the single-player campaign. In a world with Facebook I just don't think that's going to last."

Hey Cerny, not everyone is a facebook faggot. How about you drink a big cup of shut the fuck up?

"We're talking five, 10 years out. I believe three years from now, if you aren't doing that, you are being criticised in your reviews for your lack of innovation."

That's right. If game companies don't follow the trend, they're not cool anymore and thus must be excluded from the market.

For all I care you can do your stupid "always connected with your friends" games, but for fucks sake, don't shoehorn a game that is meant to be designed for a single player experience (ya know, with story and shit) into something else.

Angthoron

Arcane
More expert opinions:

BOOKS WILL BE GONE NOW THAT WE HAVE MOVIES

THEATERS AND MOVIES AND RADIO WILL BE GONE NOW THAT WE HAVE TV

TV AND NEWSPAPERS WILL BE GONE NOW THAT WE HAVE INTERNET

WE WILL HAVE FLYING CARS IN THE YEAR TWO THOUSAND

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Err. "Game experience" :retarded:
Thank you for good find, Morgoth. Best Thread Ever material right here.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Konjad said:
to be honest i dont play SP that much nowadays anyway...

Think about your beloved DA2!!! :shock:

To be honest, I'm playing multiplayer more than ever. Not because multiplayer suddenly became better, it just declined less than singleplayer.

Fens

Ford of the Llies
That's the prediction of veteran video game consultant Mark Cerny, who has worked with Sony on games such as Crash Bandicoot, Jak and Daxter, Spyro and Ratchet & Clank.
opinion not relevant to my taste

Shannow

Waster of Time
Angthoron said:
More expert opinions:

CDS SPREAD RISK THUS LOWERING IT!
IF RICH PEOPLE HAVE TO PAY TAXES THEY WILL NOT BE MOTIVATED TO WORK ANYMORE!
INVEST IN GOLD. IT'S THE SAFEST INVESTMENT EVAR!

As always, ask yourself who the "expert" is, who pays him and what his/their interests are. This one is paid by sony. They're biggest intrests are the mmo market and the micro-transaction social media market ---> "SP is dead! Dead, I tell ya! Come and buy our non-SP products!"

Captain Shrek

Angthoron said:
More expert opinions:

Not so strangely perhaps, Theater and traditional Newspapers ARE actually dying. Movies were ACTUALLY threatened in the third world with the emergence of TV (thought they are coming back). Piracy IS an issue and that sort of stuff.

Flying cars? Not in next 50-100 years.

Rogue

Educated
This is not an issue, since modern games suck and I won't bother to play them anyway.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Thinking about it, killing SP would be a great thing. At least I could stop caring about new games (which turn out to be shit anyway), and start replaying may vast catalogue of great games from the past.

laclongquan

Arcane
eurogamer said:
That's the prediction of veteran video game consultant Mark Cerny, who has worked with Sony on games such as Crash Bandicoot, Jak and Daxter, Spyro and Ratchet & Clank.

I know the man has to prostitute for food but does he has to expose his own ignorance of the subject for the world to see?

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
J_C said:
Thinking about it, killing SP would be a great thing. At least I could stop caring about new games (which turn out to be shit anyway), and start replaying may vast catalogue of great games from the past.

This is why I don't mind the decline in a way. In the end if all we have are the oldies there'll be mods and TC's released that are better than shit nowadays anyway such as The Dark Mod, Nameless Mod, all those Freespace mods etc. Still have dozens of RPG's to play for the first time, never mind all those I'd like to replay.

DwarvenFood

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Shannow said:
CDS SPREAD RISK THUS LOWERING IT!
IF RICH PEOPLE HAVE TO PAY TAXES THEY WILL NOT BE MOTIVATED TO WORK ANYMORE!
INVEST IN GOLD. IT'S THE SAFEST INVESTMENT EVAR!

monthly_dollar.gif

Not all that bad an investment.

MetalCraze

Arcane
J_C said:

Good thing I don't have my head stuck up my butt and my gaming perspective about new games doesn't start and end with shit games I learn about from mainstream websites (that includes Codex) so there are still a lot of new games with both solid SP and MP for me to play, apart from oldies.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
My god, this article.. this is further proof that Dragon Age 2 isn't innovative enough compared to Dungeon Siege III.

Multiplayer has its place with competitive games and some first person shooters benefit from excellent co-op mechanics that goes beyond 'I shoot X, you shoot Y' (See: L4D) I can't possibly say multiplayer games suck, it's just that most of them are badly implemented or doesn't even fit in what the main game is trying to achieve.

Prime example is Mass Effect III attempting to include a multiplayer mode. What for? Is someone dying to prove that Vanguard Shepard is better than Engineer Shepard? Or Ashley + Wrex + Soldier team will beat out any other team up? It adds very little value to a game already lacking innovation.

The reverse could also happen. Bad Company 2 for example from Dice baffles me with its Single Player campaign inclusion. And I'd be confused if they even include another for Battlefield III. It makes very little sense. People can learn online. And most of the knowledge learned in single player doesn't apply at all when the game gives the player 8 grenades, no bullet drops and some pre-scripted drive-by shooting sequence. Hell, there's not even a helicopter to practice with in the single player game. That's what people really need to get better, in-flight time to grasp the basics of heli piloting. Shit that people don't tolerate when online. Why hog the chopper if you can't even do anything? Learning? Fuck you noob.

So yeah, this guy's breathing through his ass. And he'll still be making console games, so fuck him. I'm not even in my living room playing games, so he's probably talking about console crowd.

Monocause

Arcane
Captain Shrek said:
Stop being naive guys. There is undoubtedly a market for SP games. But compared to MP games its SO small that there is a good chance that it will simply be eliminated due to huge earnings/spending ratio. A good example for this is Hard science majors. There are jobs for those guys. But Finance, Medical and Engineering pay so much that most brilliant people rather choose to go there thus opening science for faggots.

I don't think a person that could be described as 'brilliant' would reason along the lines of "hey, I love me some physics but finance and accounting is where all the moolah's at". Unless you live in the US, of course.

The "tiny SP vs. huge MP" market comparison got pulled out of your ass. Take GTA series: nobody buys these games for the MP, yet it's one of the best selling game series ever.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_be ... o_games#PC

I've hotlinked to the PC but feel free to check the consoles. Only Xbox360 has a really superior MP game chart due to all these FPS games and don't forget that most of them still market themselves mostly about the cinematic SP experience.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_Thef ... an_Andreas
In 2010, GTA: San Andreas is the 3rd Best Selling game of all time.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Sims#Reception
In March 2009, Electronic Arts announced that The Sims, as a franchise, has sold more than 100 million copies.

Gord

Arcane
What I really wonder sometimes is whether something will happen if there are just enough retards wanting/believing it, regardless of how the majority may think about it.

Examples: This SP-MP thing, the recurring "Teh pc iz dead!", DRM free media, etc.

If the industry is pushing hard enough, will it happen even if customers don't want it?

Angthoron

Arcane
As soon as Zynga/Farmville bubble bursts, everyone will forget social gaming pretty fucking fast.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
MetalCraze said:
J_C said:

Good thing I don't have my head stuck up my butt and my gaming perspective about new games doesn't start and end with shit games I learn about from mainstream websites (that includes Codex) so there are still a lot of new games with both solid SP and MP for me to play, apart from oldies.
There are some good games on the market? You don't say?! You are such an amazing guy Skyway.

MetalCraze

Arcane
I also suggest you to try and read something else besides IGN and Gamespot ads and maybe you will find good new games.

Hard to believe I know.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
MetalCraze said:
I also suggest you to try and read something else besides IGN and Gamespot ads and maybe you will find good new games.

Hard to believe I know.
I don't read ANY reviews for years now. I can find the games I like for myself.

Aldebaran

Erudite
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
I'm not worried, but he should be. If his opinion is typical of those running the industry, then the crash is going to arrive a lot sooner. You can only release the same three games under new names so many times before people lose interest. Removing singleplayer will not create diversity.

"We're talking five, 10 years out. I believe three years from now, if you aren't doing that, you are being criticised in your reviews for your lack of innovation."

"If you are not doing what everyone else is doing, you will be criticized for your lack of innovation."

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
What's wrong, Sony?

No-one interested in your casual, social MMO shit so you have to pay some "industry expert" dumbfuck huge amounts of $$$ to say proper games will be extinct in 2 years?
:smug:

Fuck this faggot and fuck Failbook.

MetalCraze

Arcane
J_C said:
I don't read ANY reviews for years now. I can find the games I like for myself.

But if all new games turn out to be shit anyway maybe you are doing something wrong?

Like, I dunno, not trying to at least learn something about them before passing the judgement?

Or do you enjoy playing shit games because I've actually seen you waiting for new ones which as you've said yourself are shit by default?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom