Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

ToEE is fucking awesome bros

Cynic

Arcane
Just want to say, as many bros already realize - this game is fucking awesome. Playing it for the first time (been putting it off for years) with the Co8 mod and man, this is just so great.

I've just cleared the Moathouse, killed Lareth and the fools who dared track me down afterwards and now am filthy rich because of all the crap they dropped. I'm level 4. My party is kind of standard (Fighter, Ranger, Cleric, Wizard, Rogue and Spugnoir) but it's heaps of fun. I might dual class the Ranger with some Druid levels...and perhaps the rogue with some sorcerer.

Honestly for me, this is the best cRPG engine created. The graphics are absolutely superb, the animations and spell effects are great. I don't think I could ever get sick of this engine.

The combat, well let's just say I don't mind that it is the main focal point of the game this time, I actually look forward to each battle. The combat is probably some of the best in any RPG.

I'm literally saddened by the fact that after this, there's nothing more. No sequel, no expansion...nothing. How could this happen? Sure it was bugged to shit when it was released, but how could the awesome potential of this game and its assets have been squandered?

Sigh...okay now I am raging...

Ebonsword

Arcane
Yes, it's a real shame that nothing further was released using this engine. I agree that it is probably the finest CRPG engine ever created.

In fact, it's kind of ruined games like Baldur's Gate, Dragon Age, and Neverwinter Nights 2 for me because every time I play one of them, I get frustrated that it doesn't have the awesome turn-based combat that ToEE does and so I quit playing.

If you're desperate for turn-based D&D combat after beating ToEE, you might want to take a look at Dungeons & Dragons: Tactics for the PSP. It's, unfortunately, extremely easy and the implementation of the D&D rules is not as faithful as in ToEE, but it's still a lot better than most other so-called RPGs being released.

Andhaira

Arcane
You shoudl not have used the Co8 mod. It has Cloud's sword in it. The game is so much better without it.

Also, if you are hungering for a similar game experiance, yet with harder battles, play Knights of the Chalice next.

PorkaMorka

Arcane
Let us know if you're still enthusiastic after
the "nothing but bugbears" part

Dickie

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I can't decide whether I prefer Knights of the Chalice or ToEE combat. ToEE has trip and reach but KotC has 20 levels and a better spell system.

Regdar

Arcane
Best cRPG adaptation of 3.5 ed. rules bar none. 'Nuff said.

The harsh reality is, of course, that D&D is too complicated for most people.

PorkaMorka said:
Let us know if you're still enthusiastic after
the "nothing but bugbears" part

You actually don't have to kill anyone on the first two levels unless you have a paladin in your group (why would you do that?). Enemies are varied after that.

pocahaunted

Arcane
Cynic said:
Honestly for me, this is the best cRPG engine created. The graphics are absolutely superb, the animations and spell effects are great. I don't think I could ever get sick of this engine.

Totally, I can only imagine the awesome games we'd have if this engine had the same fate as the infinity engine.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Weird, I can barely stand this engine because it's too slow, laggy, and floaty, with awkward out-of-combat pathfinding and wait till you get to the elemental planes. Sure it looks nice, but it moves like molasses.

Notorious

Augur
The problem with me and ToEE is that I'm a perfectionist, so i always try to complete Hommlet and then stop playing because it's so fucking boring. (Pretty much the same thing happens to me with Fallout 2 and New Reno)

jagged-jimmy

Prophet
Codex 2012
Cynic said:
this is the best cRPG engine created.
This. I was really excited in the moathouse too..after that the game is really meh. Co8 adds some awesome encounters, but there really is no game after moathouse, just engine.. and a missed opportunity.

Cynic

Arcane
Don't really see how the engine is "slow". The chars run from point to point, the speed gives you time to soak in the awesome environments and music so I'm not complaining. The moathouse particularly had brilliant music. For a DnD setting it has a Vangelis/bladerunner type vibe to it and it just worked really well. Also I think Hommlet is fine. The Moathouse is a pretty stressful place at first, Hommlet is cool and relaxing. Can just go back there to rest and chill. I think maybe because this is a Gygax module, it just has a nostalgia of my young days when I was playing PnP. Maybe I'm hooked on that.

Sad to hear you say the game gets worse after the Moathouse, I'll have to wait and see. Fuck you Atari, seriously. I'd pay full price for another true cRPG built with this (debugged) engine, no questions asked. Maybe now that they've lost the license...bah I don't want to get my hopes up.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
FFS, juts skip Homlet. Even without the extra stuff that Co8 added, it was very much possible to go straight to Avery Meadows and Moathouse and survive, unless your party was really crap. Now it's even easier to do so stop spewing excuses and play the damn game.

And yeah, ToEE is awesome.

Cynic

Arcane
Ebonsword said:
Yes, it's a real shame that nothing further was released using this engine. I agree that it is probably the finest CRPG engine ever created.

In fact, it's kind of ruined games like Baldur's Gate, Dragon Age, and Neverwinter Nights 2 for me because every time I play one of them, I get frustrated that it doesn't have the awesome turn-based combat that ToEE does and so I quit playing.

If you're desperate for turn-based D&D combat after beating ToEE, you might want to take a look at Dungeons & Dragons: Tactics for the PSP. It's, unfortunately, extremely easy and the implementation of the D&D rules is not as faithful as in ToEE, but it's still a lot better than most other so-called RPGs being released.

Actually I had written that game off, I just read some reviews that said it was shit, but actually it looks alright. Will try it out. I still have Tactics Ogre LUCT to finish though.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
Wasn't the engine edited so that one can exchange graphic assets to make an entire new game out of it? Or are there tools lacking? (mapper etc..) A new cRPG based on that engine would totally rock.

Cynic

Arcane
No idea about the engine tools, but I saw over at Co8 that there is some conversion of the Keep on the Borderlands module. I don't think it's finished though...I'm wondering if that can be played with the GOG version of ToEE?

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Surf Solar said:
Wasn't the engine edited so that one can exchange graphic assets to make an entire new game out of it? Or are there tools lacking? (mapper etc..) A new cRPG based on that engine would totally rock.

It's buggy as fuck in technical areas. Flaky pathfinding, pathfinding that causes slowdown bugs, defective hardcoded scripts that cause infinite cycles, "defective" copy protection that causes the Co8 team to use a no-cd that likely has a virus - since lots of antivirus like it so much they quarantine it, spell effects not going away, missing secret doors forcing you to restart, CTDs.

It's a great game though.

Cynic

Arcane
Using the Co8 mod, I've only encountered 2 bugs so far. The first happened during a fight where I suddenly couldn't control any party members any more, and the second was during the Co8 fight with the the thugs after killing Lareth. The dialogue starting the fight happened once, then again in the middle of the fight. This wouldn't have been so bad, if the second dialogue cue hadn't glitch removed my web spell and freed all of them to destroy me.

I agree the path finding isn't perfect, but it's fine if you move only moderate distances at a time. I've also experienced some slow down in parts, but it fixes itself up fairly fast. But yeah I don't dispute that it probably is very buggy...such a shame.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
:salute: Glad you are finally giving this a try. It's a fucking fucking awesome game (combat wise). Good luck getting past the Balor. I never could get past that. :(

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Jaesun said:
:salute: Glad you are finally giving this a try. It's a fucking fucking awesome game (combat wise). Good luck getting past the Balor. I never could get past that. :(

You should try. I recall the pride I felt the first time I tore him a new one.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom