Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

SO BROS ARCANUM

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
PLAYING IT FOR THE FIRST TIME HAVING SOME FUN

AT TARANT RIGHT NOW JUST SO MUCH SHIT TO DO AND SO OPEN I LIKE IT

THE SKILL CHOICES ARE A BIT OVERWHELMING BUT IN A GOOD WAY PERHAPS THE MOST DETAILED CHARACTER BUILDING SYSTEM I HAVE SEEN

I HAVE PLAYED A GUNMAN BUILD BECAUSE I WANTED A BIT OF A CHALLENGE BUT HIGH CHARISMA SO I COULD GET A LITTLE HELP FROM MY BROS

SO FAR COMBAT HAS BEEN A BIT OF A CHALLENGE AND I AM BLOWING THREW MONEY LIKE WATER ON BULLETS I GUESS I NEED SOME CRAFTING SOON HOPEFULLY BULLET SCHEMATICS COME MY WAY SOON

Get a bullet schematic post haste; and become a rubbish bin ravaging hobo to get the ingredients for the bullets.

Stasgard

Liturgist
Oh man, have fun, Charismatic Techie is probably the best way to play through Arcanum. You can buy the Bullet Schematic from a somewhat obvious place in Tarant. Savour this, the story is the best the first run through.

Black

Arcane
BRO I JUST WANTED TO TELL YOU TO HAVE SUN IN BLACK MOUNTAIN CLAN MINES BOR ESPECIALLY WITH A GUNSLINGER BRO

Regdar

Arcane
When I played Arcanum (still haven't finished it, goddammit!) I was tempted to play that dwarf holding the flamethrower on the box cover.

Needless to say, I was disappointed. Damage was so-so and I went broke pretty fast.

A little polish is what this game needs. A little something to make more char development choices viable.

Good luck on your adventures. :salute:

HotSnack

Cipher
I just cleared Arcanum for the first time a few days ago actually, kind of amazed it took me this long to get back to it when I look back and remember why I loved this game so much.

That said the game has all the things you love and hate about Troika games, and the wtf decision to stain an otherwise solid RPG adventure with shitty action RPG conventions.

I find being a technologist/gunslinger to be far more interesting both mechanics wise and in the context of the setting, unfortunately it is also one of the most frustrating playstyles when it comes down to taking down armies of trash mobs which makes up half of the game.

My advice is that if you feel that you're not having any fun, go reroll as mage/fighter and blast through the game, it honestly makes a big difference. Afterwards you can always take your newfound knowledge of the game to build a superior technologist.

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Greatest RPG of all time.

Like HotSnack suggested, I did my first playthrough as a magically inclined melee character. I also took high charisma and had tons of followers, so combat was a breeze. It can help you focus on the rest of the game if a gunslinger starts becoming difficult and/or tedious for you.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I also played a gunslinger first time through. I'd agree it's more interesting (you find lots of stuff to use etc) and completely changes the game, but it's also a lot more difficult if you don't know the game, skills etc. But it makes the later, weirder parts of the game better, since if you play as a mage you can just Disintegrate everything from about halfway through.

Also, I know a lot on the Codex don't like the story, but I thought it was great and definitely unconventional.

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Zarniwoop said:
Also, I know a lot on the Codex don't like the story, but I thought it was great and definitely unconventional.

I liked the story. It was a nice twist on the cliche "You're the chosen one" and had a villain who wasn't just herp derp evil.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I hate that in newer games, they always tell you right in the beginning who you'll eventually have to fight in order to save Helpless Settlement #3 from the evil scourge. Even in F:NV, you know about Caesar's legion from the start, or in Divinity 2 you know about Damian and just keep chasing him. Arcanum just gives you a "Find the boy" note and off you go to discover the plot yourself.

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
WELL SHIT BROS I AM HAVING TO DO A LITTLE LEVEL GRINDING TO GET STATS UP BUT I AM MAKING IT

I HEARD THE ELEPHANT GUN WAS REALLY GOOD SO I AM WORKING TOWARD THAT I GUESS IT WOULD BE A HUGE WASTE OF POINTS IF IT SUCKED

I HAVE FOUND SOME BETTER EQUIPMENT AND GIVING THE HALF ORC A CLAYMORE TRNS HIM INTO A FUCKING WRECKING MACHINE JUST A LEVEL OR TWO MORE AND I THINK I CAN SURVIVE THE STONE GOLEMS ONE AT A TIME I HAVE BEATEN THEM BUT CANT KEEP EVERYONE ALIVE

baronjohn

Cipher
I hope you're not putting points in gunsmithy. You can find all the craftable guns in the game.

Explosives are good. They're easy to make, very useful, and sell for a lot.

oscar

Arcane
Two points in gunsmithy at the start and you can craft a fine revolver by Shrouded Hills, what should serve you very well until you start getting hand cannons (a certain belligerent halfling in Tarant carries one*) and whatnot.

Arcanum really needed more powerful tech foes. Beyond the mechanical spiders and automatons in one 'dungeon' I can't really think of any others. Are there also any mods that finally make guns as powerful as they should (I'd be happy with something similar to Fallout in terms of firearms vs melee) be in turn based mode?

*was quite funny in my first playthrough as a half-elf fighter/mage/persuader hybrid breezing through hordes of assassins and magical beasts only to get my head blown off (with appropriate animations) by some little runt with a big gun

HotSnack

Cipher
Yeah, I wouldn't waste your points learning gunsmithy. There are two points in the game where you can grab an elephant gun: one during the main quest when you have to deal with some poachers and another from a certain adventure-loving follower. Even then the best guns in the game can be created by anyone too.

I would take oscar's advice though on grabbing the handcannon from the halfling: use a fatepoint to pickpocket it off him if you don't have points in pickpocket. You can also quietly kill him, but he is involved with a certain skill mastery quest which you may or may not want.

You might also want to consider a point in explosives just so you can make bullets once you've bought the schematic from the gun shop. Though if you want to be really conservative with your character points you can alternatively buy a single skill book from the university which should be enough to craft bullets.

Johannes

Arcane
Explosive point is nice to get anyway, since molotovs are pretty nice. Well, it also needs investment in throwing to use them properly but I'd say thats well worth it for any techie.

And really agree about the lack of good tech opponents, it's mostly because the basic guns which most mobs use suck totally. A guard with a gun is much less scary than one with a sword. Some rare enemies have good guns, ie. the craftable ones, but even then they're not much scarier than a basic melee mobster.
The shooting mastery fight is pretty tough if you tackle it semi-early at least, though.

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BRO THE MINES SUCK SUCK SUCK BUT I FINISHED

YEAH I DID PUT MY POINTS IN GUNSMITHY OH WELL ANOTHER PLAYTHROUGH I GUESS

I DID GET MY BULLET CRAFTING FOR SOME REASON THE STORE DIDNT HAVE THE SCHEMATICS RIGHT AWAY BUT IT DID LATER AND NOW I HVE MY POINT IN EXPLOSIVES

MY COMPANIONS ARE GETTING MORE AND MORE UNHAPPY WITH ME AND IT SEEMS LIKE THEY DO FOR RANDOM REASONS LIKE THE MINE QUEST IF I GAVE THE DEED TO THE SISTER PEOPLE GOT UPSET

WHEN I DO ANOTHER PLAYTHROUGH IT WILL BE AN ASSRAPING KNIGHT WITH MELEE SKILLS AND LOCKPICK AND I WILL FUCK EVERYONE UP

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
MORE RANDOM THOUGHTS

ALMOST SKILL OVERLOAD SO MUCH SHIT IT IS EASY TO GET SIDETRACKED A LITTLE

COMPANION INFLUENCE DOES NOT WORK LOLOLOLOL MY COMPANIONS KILL AN INNOCENT WHO WANDERS INTO THE FIGHT AND THEY GET PISSED AT ME AND IT SEEMS THERE IS NO WAY TO MAKE THEM HAPPIER I COULD BE WRONG THOUGH AND IT IS FUNNY WHO YOU CAN FLAT OUT MURDER AND NO ONE CARES

FIRST GAME I EVER USED A HIGH CHARISMA CHARACTER AND HAD MY HOMIES DO ALOT OF THE FIGHTING THAT IS NICE

ENEMIES DONT DROP THEIR WEAPONS THAT IS A HUGE PET PEEVE OF MINE OH WELL

I LIKE HOW WHEN YOU KILL SOMEONE THE WHOLE TOWN DOESNT FIGHT YOU MUCH BETTER THAN IN FALLOUT

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
About companions, yeah, when they kill a NPC it's your alignment that takes a hit. If you make them upset enough you can talk to them and they'll tell you how can win their favor back. In some of those those big battles it's better to switch to turn based and give them commands like "back off" or hovering on a part of the map or and telling them to "walk" or a specific enemy and "attack" if they're doing something you don't want.

Also enemies do drop weapons and armor, you need to click on the left circle because they're equipped on their body.

flushfire

Augur
nice thing about being a gunslinger is that you don't need to worry about weapon durability. a little hard at the start, but if you run into the firearms master early everything is a breeze afterwards.

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
WELL BROS STILL GOING ALONG

THE MASTER GUNFIGHTER QUEST GOT FUVKED FOR ME MAYBE I RESTED BEFORE IT AND I SHOULDNT OH WELL ANYWAYS I EVEN RESSURRECTED THE STUPID HALFING BITCH AND THE FAGGOT STILL KILLED HIMSELF OH WELL

LIKE IT MATTERS ANYWAYS I AM A FUCKING ASSRAPER WITH MY ELAPHEANT GUN I POINT THE POINTS INTO SMITHY CAUSE THE FAGGOT RUDE HALFLING DIDNT HAVE THE HANDCANNON ANYWAYS I BECAME A MURDERING MACHING WITH THE LOOKING GLASS RIFLE FROM DOGFUCKER FIREARM MASTER I AM WASTING EVERYONE AND I HAVE A RELATIVELY NONCOMBAT FOCUSED BUILD MOST POINTS IN GUNSMITHY PERSUASION INTELLIGENCE AND CHARISMA

SO IT LOOKS LIKE OVERALL THE GAME IS MORE BALANCED TO MAGIC AND WHAT NOT BUT NOT AS BAD AS I THOUGHT ESPECIALLY LATE GAME WITH MY ELEPHANT GUN AND HEALING SPIDER

NICE THAT EVIL ISNT PUNISHED JUST DIFFERENT I AM MISSING OUT ON LOTS OF QUEST BECAUSE I AM A GOOD GUY

To go evil in the storyline mode when you hit the Dark Elves tribe, you can side with them and go the evil route (Virgil becomes evil with you) where you have to kill the town of Stillwater to prove yourself. It's pretty fun but I always found the good route more satisfying.

ironyuri

Regdar said:
A little polish is what this game needs.

... Polish?

You mean it needs to be more like The Witcher?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom