Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Launch copies of The Old Republic will be limited!!111

Silellak

Cipher
In an effort to manage capacity on the day the MMO launches, Electronic Arts has capped the number of physical and digital copies of Star Wars: The Old Republic. The actual figure is unknown, but once it's reached, no more will be sold until EA can add server capacity to accommodate more players.

http://kotaku.com/5832876/ea-confirms-launch-copies-of-star-wars-the-old-republic-will-be-limited

OH GOD I HAVE TO GET IN I HAVE TO PLAY BEFORE EVERYONE ELSE MUST PRE-ORDER AS SOON AS POSSIBLE!!!!!!!!!!!!111111

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
Excidium said:
I suppose they want to prevent the problematic launch day that every popular MMO has.
there was an alleged beta tester post shortly after the most recent beta invite wave that got deleted almost instantly about how the beta has terrible lag problems with people rubberbanding all over the place, floating npcs, or people getting on speederbikes then discoing midflight, littering the maps with dozens of bikes...

considering that they seem to be giving invites out rather frequently, i think they might have a high tester tunrover > problem riddled beta.

Rogue

Educated
Silellak, you are truly a BRO for sharing this information with us. I must hurry and preorder!!!11

If I was really filthy rich though, I would preorder every single copy and then let only Codex members play this game.

This reminds me of a scene from the Simpsons I saw many years ago. Dumbfuck Homer (= consoletard) sees an ad for a shitty xyz item (= game) with a limited supply. He calls the number and speaks almost uncontrollably: "Do you have any more of xyz????!" The guy on the other side on the phone looks around the warehouse, completely filled with xyz, and says: "I think we may have a few left." Something like that, anyway ...

Baron

Arcane
I didn't want to play it until I found out that it will be so exclusive. Now I want in so bad I can no longer eat or sleep.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
nice strategy.
people who will play this are dumb as fuck. that's why this strategy will work and guarantee pre-orders.

Shannow

Waster of Time
Ah yeah, the old "Buy NOW, before there's nothing left!". I almost like it as well as "Special offer, only until the end of the month!", that my ISP has been sending me for the last two years.
Two points though:
1. They work.
2. EA is already planning for TOR to fail, thus the strategy to sell as much as possible before people have a chance to hear how shitty it is.

Angthoron

Arcane
Also, being the publisher, they will have very easy access to numbers preordered, thus they can continue adding, or "theoretically adding" servers as the demand goes, it's not like they're, say, early WoW Blizzard, with rented tech centers and a need to go through Vivendi every time to get an idea of how many people have ordered the game.

Thus it's pretty much the "exclusive deal" feel, kinda like what they did for DA2 DLCs, or utter laziness and giving up on a project before it even launched. They don't have a team dedicated to crunching that sort of numbers? I do not believe that.

Angthoron

Arcane
Early preorder gave the purchaser one type of crappy item, later one gave another, later one still gave something else different still etc. Can't remember the details, but there was a thread lulzing about it on Codex at some point.

Angthoron

Arcane
Why not wait a couple of months til they patch shit up and release a free trial?

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Shannow said:
2. EA is already planning for TOR to fail, thus the strategy to sell as much as possible before people have a chance to hear how shitty it is.
Yeah.
After I saw the first gameplay video I figured they would.

Menckenstein

Lunacy of Caen: Todd Reaver
Too bad they didn't make like Hellgate and order 200% more servers than they ever needed. That'd bleed them pretty bad and then EA could fire the Doctors.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom