Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dark and Gritty

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Are there any modern (or not so) economic and strategy games (however not emphasizing combat) with gloomy atmosphere? Why do all games of this type has to be hippie weird colourful? I mean I love Anno series, I played Europa Universalis and other games of that type, but I'd like something with great atmosphere and I know only Alpha Centauri with that, which isn't much.

curry

Arcane
Transport Tycoon. You get to be a RUTHLESS business CEO and you can even destroy your enemies' roads by placing a piece of railroad on them and then blowing them up :smug:

YourConscience

Scholar
Konjad said:
Are there any modern (or not so) economic and strategy games (however not emphasizing combat) with gloomy atmosphere? Why do all games of this type has to be hippie weird colourful? I mean I love Anno series, I played Europa Universalis and other games of that type, but I'd like something with great atmosphere and I know only Alpha Centauri with that, which isn't much.

Yeah, it's a pity Fallout 3 or NV didn't have some sort of city builder minigame at least.

I'd love some sort of wastelands-based strategy game. But wait, theoretically, Elemental: War of Magic should have been such a game. Pity it's still pretty boring even after the many patches.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
yep, EWoM is mediocre. I bought a collector's edition of that turd and played it just for a few days desperately trying to like it, but it failed.

However I disagree with city builder quests in Fo3/NV. I mean there was a nice quest like that in Morrowind, but it's just a small bonus, not a proper game. I'd rather play normal economic game

Monocause

Arcane
You could try Civ4 with Fall From Heaven if you haven't already. But true, this, Alpha Centauri and the Master of Orions pt. 2 and 3 are the only games I know which fit the criteria, which is a shame.

Paperclip

Liturgist
Playing as the Tycoons in the upcoming Anno 2070?

anno-2070.jpg

anno2070_s_026_full.jpg

Destroid

Arcane
DOF is even worse than bloom and motion blur, it gets used in such a ridiculous fashion, it's hard to believe devs make screenshots like that or scenes like the dialogues in DXHR with shitty DOF all over everything.

Lord Chambers

Erudite
If you're in this thread, you better know what the fuck DOF is because no one has time to type it out.

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
DraQ said:
What's with all the the shitty bloom and DoF?

you know how certain people like airbrushed models bro? that's what DoF does for games. No sharpness or detail = flawless art
Usually at least the outlines of objects are left alone or have their effect lessened, but in current games that won't do, so now even the edges are soft and ethereal as nature intended

just imagine how :obviously: your outdated low-tech draconic images would be after modern airbrushing and bloom is applied by professionals

I would be quite perturbed if the fuckers somehow decide to not make it an optional effect

DraQ

Arcane
sgc_meltdown said:
DraQ said:
What's with all the the shitty bloom and DoF?

you know how certain people like airbrushed models bro? that's what DoF does for games. No sharpness or detail = flawless art
Usually at least the outlines of objects are left alone or have their effect lessened, but in current games that won't do, so now even the edges are soft and ethereal as nature intended

just imagine how :obviously: your outdated low-tech draconic images would be after modern airbrushing and bloom is applied by professionals

I would be quite perturbed if the fuckers somehow decide to not make it an optional effect
:lol:

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Lord Chambers said:
If you're in this thread, you better know what the fuck DOF is because no one has time to type it out.

Depth of Field is a HYPER-REALISTIC and ADVANCED graphics processing technology. It works by blurring all objects more than 5 feet away from the camera so you can't tell how ugly they are.

DraQ

Arcane
Honestly, I don't even know why fucktards are impressed by it. Do they ever come out? Because if they did, they would have probably noticed that objects in the distance don't get all blurry. Or maybe they are just so thick that if the newest hyperrealistic trick was Square Sun (TM) technology, they would stand in awe how realistic and awesome it looks?

Sure, DoF has its applications - if camera or an eye focuses on extremely close object, everything closer or further will turn into blurry mess. Similarly, when focusing on stuff further out, very close objects will be blurry, but regardless whether you focus on something several meters or several kilometres away, everything, but extremely close shit will stay in focus, so unless it's a cutscene, you're examining something very close or aiming using iron sights, DoF has little use in games.

anno2070_s_026_full.jpg
Are they aiming for some sort of miniature feel here? Because I still have my Legos and I can play with them without using my computer.
:decline:

Disconnected

Scholar
Konjad said:

Dwarf Fortress. Add Fallout mod for extra grimdark.

Imperium Galactica 2 doesn't quite have the great characterisation of SMAC, but if memory serves it does let you play an even more evil little shit. So it might be worth a shot. And eh, if you get it to run on Win7x64, kindly let me know how.

Fallout 3 & likely NV too, has the Settlers mod, which lets you build a tinytown with a tinyeconomy & other tiny stuff. Probably not what you're looking for, though.

Also, once upon a time, somewhen back in the late 90s I think, there were two games based around the concept of colonising a planet in a solar system beyond Earth. I can't remember what they were called, but the first one is kind of a deep-space builder, and the second one is basically a RTS, but with a strong focus on base building & exploration, and a story that's basically desperate humans vs. weird, lethal place.

As for the Anno DoF, I really don't mind. I like builders that look like our tabletop terrain. I dunno if cute is the right word exactly, but it's the one that comes to mind.

Destroid

Arcane
Also, once upon a time, somewhen back in the late 90s I think, there were two games based around the concept of colonising a planet in a solar system beyond Earth. I can't remember what they were called, but the first one is kind of a deep-space builder, and the second one is basically a RTS, but with a strong focus on base building & exploration, and a story that's basically desperate humans vs. weird, lethal place.

Sounds like Outpost 1+2?

12528-outpost-2-divided-destiny-windows-screenshot-a-thriving-colonys.jpg

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
Disconnected said:
Dwarf Fortress. Add Fallout mod for extra grimdark.

that got my attention

is there anything more to it than a replacement of names, i.e. now dwarves are now all vault dwellers wowowowow it's totally fallout

Disconnected

Scholar
Neah... Tweaked world-gen, monsters & items. But it's largely cosmetic. It's also not finished. But it is playable, and it does feel kind of Fallout'y.

Mind the tricksy Ghouls. Some of them are hungry-hungry for Vault Dweller.

EDIT: Also, click-click.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom