Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

ToEE is fucking awesome bros

Cynic

Arcane
felipepepe said:
IF only we could time-warp and give the ToEE Engine to Bioware develop Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale on it...

I think for BG2, the IE was fine. I don't like it as much as turn based but the way BG played was at least kind of original at the time. For Icewind Dale however, which I dropped when it came out because I was a storyfag then, I think this engine would have smashed it to pieces. Overall of course, as I said earlier, this engine smashes every engine to pieces, but yeah IWD would have been beautifully suited to it.

Sigh, maybe now that Atari has lost the license, whoever gets it will realize the potential for this engine. While playing this, I began to think that actually the controls would pretty much translate over to a touch based interface no problem. I think the current gen of tablets would be powerful enough to run it too.

These are just dreams, but then isn't that what RPGs and by extension, the codex, are about? Dreams?

Cynic

Arcane
kingcomrade said:
I just re-found 2-06_moathouse_exterior.mp3 and that's a nice kind of ambienty sort of song from ToEE.

:salute:

very nice music, if you like it, check the Bladerunner OST by Vangelis. Brilliant stuff.

Edit: Awesome I didn't know the sound files were just mp3s in a folder, now I can ToEE dream while working...

Cynic

Arcane
Hommlet is nice and relaxing. It's the PERFECT music for the beginning of a D&D adventure...feels like erasers on character sheets...but I don't want to listen to music I haven't gotten to yet. Yes that's right, I'm talking about music spoilers. Fuck, I'm in over my head with this game.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
As to the story and characters, there's nice little stuff included - the lazy apprentice who gambles his future away, the power-play between the Old Faith and New Faith, the very believable small-time quarrels of the villagers and so on. They all fit into a very nice setting that was quite immersive, in the good way.

sser

Arcane
Developer
Can this game run on a trashy laptop by any chance? Or should I wait until I get back to the homestead with the beefier comp to pick it up?

Self-Ejected

Drog Black Tooth

Self-Ejected
I always wanted to give ToEE a try, but it's such a trainwreck. I remember when I first got to Hommlet, entered a random house, and inside there were like a dozen small beds and a single woman NPC. The dialog was like "what's up with all the kids running around". What kids?!

Turns out the kids were cut from the game at the last moment, because apparently it's not politically correct to show human offspring in video games, but the dialog and the house were left as is. The non-existent "ghost" kids really creeped me out, not to mention that this whole deal was really indicative of how rushed and unpolished the game was.

Ebonsword

Arcane
GarfunkeL said:
As to the story and characters, there's nice little stuff included - the lazy apprentice who gambles his future away, the power-play between the Old Faith and New Faith, the very believable small-time quarrels of the villagers and so on. They all fit into a very nice setting that was quite immersive, in the good way.

You can thank Gary Gygax for that. From what I recall, most of that was in the original module.

Self-Ejected

Drog Black Tooth

Self-Ejected
Falkner said:
Wasn't that just added by Co8?
Yes, and IIRC the Co8 guys just used downscaled halfling models, because the original kids were cut completely, not just disabled or something.

Phelot

Arcane
Yeah the kids look pretty funny, especially the girls since they still have the giant halfling boobs :lol:

oldschool

Scholar
I liked Homlett. I wish I lived there.

From a licensing standpoint, I doubt another official 3.5 game will ever be licensed (why would they?). Once you take the ruleset implementation out of the combat engine, you lose a lot of what made it great.

About the only thing a serious developer could reuse would be the animations and radius combat movement, plus the code to combine 3D sprites with pre-rendered backgrounds. The UI logic as well, I guess. Pathfinding, saving games, and a new ruleset would all have to be rewritten.

It's a good design model for indie developers at best, I think. I doubt the engine itself would be all that useable even if it did become available. Unless you were able to stick with the 3.5 ruleset and the engine license was affordable enough to cater to a tiny niche market (people who don't think CRPGs are choose-your-own-dialogue adventures, and actually like them). Not to mention turn-based combat, a complex ruleset, and non-3D graphics.

Cynic

Arcane
oldschool said:

From a licensing standpoint, I doubt another official 3.5 game will ever be licensed (why would they?). Once you take the ruleset implementation out of the combat engine, you lose a lot of what made it great.

About the only thing a serious developer could reuse would be the animations and radius combat movement, plus the code to combine 3D sprites with pre-rendered backgrounds. The UI logic as well, I guess. Pathfinding, saving games, and a new ruleset would all have to be rewritten.

It's a good design model for indie developers at best, I think. I doubt the engine itself would be all that useable even if it did become available. Unless you were able to stick with the 3.5 ruleset and the engine license was affordable enough to cater to a tiny niche market (people who don't think CRPGs are choose-your-own-dialogue adventures, and actually like them). Not to mention turn-based combat, a complex ruleset, and non-3D graphics.

I have no idea about 4th edition, in fact I never played past 2nd edition in PnP. Are the rules so drastically different in 4th edition so that this couldn't be adapted?

edit: just read this http://www.wired.com/underwire/2008/06/dungeons-dragon/ fuck it sounds bad. But the dude didn't get into the rules all that much. So wait, you don't choose spells as a wizard anymore wtf? How does it work then?

Cynic said:
I have no idea about 4th edition, in fact I never played past 2nd edition in PnP. Are the rules so drastically different in 4th edition so that this couldn't be adapted?

edit: just read this, fuck it sounds bad.

I skimmd through rulebooks and the like out of curiosity, and 4th ed got some obvious inspiration in videogames (MMOs in particular). I think it would work nicely in a crpg.

Cynic

Arcane
Hill giant was epic

Oh man, the hill giant! Epic battle. Amazing how two monsters a bit of cover and a party of 5 level 4 adventurers can be so much damn fun. Here's how it went down.

Rogue scouts ahead in hiding, sees that there is a bear and a hill giant waiting for the party. Rogue comes back and tells the party "Bros, there's a hill giant and a big fucking bear down there, but there's heaps of shiny things too, let's take them down." Party agrees. Wizards proceed to buff the party, Fighter and Ranger both get blur and bulls strength, Cleric casts Bless. Party sneaks around the back and takes cover behind a big rock. Female Wizard casts web as soon as the Giant and his bear are spotted, both get webbed.

Ranger with spear and Fighter with long sword position themselves and are ready vs approach. Rogue switches to cross bow and Wizards lie in wait but bear breaks free and runs at Fighter. But we were ready, Ranger hits for 10, Fighter hits for 10. Fighter gets clawed but not bitten. Hill giant frees itself but can only move forward slightly it seems. Male Wizard takes his chance and casts ray of enfeeblement on the big mofo. Ability drained!

Suddenly the bear tries to break free! But sucks to you bear, we get AoO's on your ass. The Ranger criticals for a whopping 45 points of damage. But the bear isn't dead! Oh, but fighter get's an AoO as well and fucks the bear up pretty bad.

Now Hill Giant is raging cuz we killed his bestial lover. Tough luck bro, move on. Bear bitches ain't shit and all that. He attacks and pummels Ranger for a lot of damage. Quickly, cleric heals moderate wounds and Ranger is a bit better. But of course, Hill Giant gets webbed again. We attack and do some hefty damage.

Magic missles explode all around, a dazzling display of projectile punishment knock the hill giant about. He's badly injured, but he's got his turn coming up. Oh wait, he tries to break free and cops a couple more critical AoOs.

And that bros, is how it went down.

:yeah:

:bro:

RatFink

Educated

ya i remember that battle
but i greased them bastards to slaughter them while they were lying on the ground, all the while my socially competent bard was singin inspiring tunes :salute:

kaizoku

Arcane
phelot said:
Yeah the kids look pretty funny, especially the girls since they still have the giant halfling boobs :lol:
--------------------------
Hey kids, be sure to ask me about sex.
You should know that kids these days grow pretty fast :smug:

deus101 said:
FUCKING SAVE GAME CORRUPTIONS!
Have you been messing with the console?

oldschool said:

I'm not so much interested in a new game (because face it, it would suck in these days). What I would like would be for some modders to take advantage of all the work done by Co8 and make some new modules.
But as always, everyone is too lazy :rpgcodex:

BTW, for those who don't know there is an ongoing engine recreation project and a total conversion mod (both should be done in 2020).
http://www.co8.org/forum/showthread.php?t=9007
http://www.co8.org/forum/showthread.php?t=2373&page=15

Hell yeah! I've also been listening to ToEE soundtrack. The Hommlet theme music is fucking sweet.

coldcrow

Prophet
Patron
Yep that skirmish is a nice tutorial about disabling spells. Tasha's Laughter works just as well, tho Web + AoO attacks is probably best.

Cynic

Arcane
That engine recreation is still on going. The guy made some commits to the source sort of recently. If he asked for donations I'd give him some cash. Fuck it's better than spending $10 on some bullshit DLC.

Phelot

Arcane
I thought the prevailing strategy for the hill giant is to charm the bear.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom