Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Previews

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Bethesda Softworks; Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

<p>More Skyrim previews are popping up.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>xbox360achievements provide this <a href="http://www.xbox360achievements.org/news/news-9529-The-Elder-Scrolls-V--Skyrim-In-Depth-Hands-On-Preview-%E2%80%93-The-Long-Road-to-Falkreath.html" target="_blank">in-depth hands-on preview</a>:</p>
<blockquote>
<p>It&rsquo;s a dungeon &ndash; or series of them &ndash; that is vastly different to the ones we&rsquo;d previously encountered, with stone walkways, steep stone steps, an iconic glowing tree in the middle of one of its cylindrical chambers, huge steel doors and vampires blocking your progress. Here, anything went and that included fighting Skeevers and watching a dead vampire get resurrected by a nearby powerful mage. It&rsquo;s such a diverse game world, filled with many iconic moments and situations, and this just goes to prove that&hellip; and this was just in one hour!<br /><br />After reaching the other side, our demo was coming to a close and where better to end it than under the orange moon of Skyrim on a clear night dominated by the powerful stars that left such an impact on the opening moments of Oblivion. So many years on, they&rsquo;re still as enigmatic as ever and seeing them twinkle in the night sky with the crickets chirping certainly made up for the initial wow moment that Skyrim&rsquo;s opening lacked &ndash; like you had when you reached the plains of Cyrodiil in Oblivion or when you broke free of the Vault in Fallout 3. Incidentally though, it took us an hour and 20 minutes to get about a tenth of the way to Solitude and Markarth which sit at the far north of the map, so get ready to lose hours upon hours this November.<br /><br />For me personally though, Skyrim oozes the same draw that Oblivion did all those years ago, and that&rsquo;s the compulsion just to explore the heck out of it. With no real purpose we darted from point-of-interest to point-of-interest and before we knew it, our hour was up &ndash; in fact, we went over by a good 20 minutes, but shhhh, don&rsquo;t tell anyone! It&rsquo;s very rare that you can immerse yourself in a game and saunter around with no real purpose, but like Oblivion, Skyrim does just that&hellip; and it does it in style.</p>
</blockquote>
<p>OXM use their own <a href="http://www.oxm.co.uk/33391/features/skyrim-nine-things-to-do-first/" target="_blank">hands-on experiences</a> to give you advice on what to do first in Skyrim.</p>
<blockquote>
<p><strong>1. Explore Embershard Mine</strong><br /><br />On the winding path that leads from the Mystical Cave of Character Selection to the peaceful town of Riverwood, comes your first and earliest opportunity to step off the path and have a little explore. Off to the right is Embershard Mine, one of the hundreds* of dungeons scattered across Skyrim. For a basic, common-or-garden dungeon, it seems pretty nicely designed, with a lever-operated bridge, the corpse of a man who kept a really wordy diary, a chest containing a random enchanted weapon, and a number of easily subdued bandits. The dungeon's said to be easy, which should be a relief - my enduring memory of Morrowind is getting my arse lopped off and handed to me by a skeleton, in the very first cave I wandered into.<br /><br />*There are at least 150 dungeons, Bethesda's Pete Hines has revealed. He hasn't given the actual number, but seems to imply that if we knew it, we would weep with gratitude.</p>
</blockquote>
<p>I'm weeping even without knowing the exact number.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>Spotted at: <a href="http://www.gamebanshee.com/news/104689-the-elder-scrolls-v-skyrim-preview.html">Gamebanshee</a></p>

After reaching the other side, our demo was coming to a close and where better to end it than under the orange moon of Skyrim on a clear night dominated by the powerful stars that left such an impact on the opening moments of Oblivion. So many years on, they’re still as enigmatic as ever and seeing them twinkle in the night sky with the crickets chirping certainly made up for the initial wow moment that Skyrim’s opening lacked

:|

Whenever I read passages like this one, I think the writer is trying to get noticed by someone who will hire him to write "real" articles instead of videogame ones.

Also, bad news on the skeleton. It means that TES VI skeletons won't attack the player because that feature was considered "too hard" :troll:

DraQ

Arcane
Clockwork Knight said:
After reaching the other side, our demo was coming to a close and where better to end it than under the orange moon of Skyrim on a clear night dominated by the powerful stars that left such an impact on the opening moments of Oblivion. So many years on, they’re still as enigmatic as ever and seeing them twinkle in the night sky with the crickets chirping certainly made up for the initial wow moment that Skyrim’s opening lacked

:|
I read "chirping" as "derping" at first. True story.

I don't know if it's the fault of the 'dex or bethesduh recent exploits.
:/

In either case - what have you fucks done to me?
:x

YourConscience

Scholar
150 dungeons, more or less? Are they serious? Oh I'm weeping, alright. Especially when I compare it to the amount of dungeons in Daggerfall. How many were there? 150.000? And I'm sure I visited more than 150 in Daggerfall. And despite their randomness, they were much more immersive than those of Morrowwind or Oblivion. Oh those wraiths... :)

I wonder when procedural will make their return back into so-called AAA games. Perhaps the moment titles like Minecraft become AAA.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
It’s a dungeon – or series of them – that is vastly different to the ones we’d previously encountered, with stone walkways, steep stone steps, an iconic glowing tree in the middle of one of its cylindrical chambers, huge steel doors and vampires blocking your progress.
:retarded:

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
Looks like a AAA hiking simulator. All we need now is furry sex between a female Khajiit and a male Redguard.

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
the guy's great videogame memories are of seeing the sky or land for the first time in oblivion and fallout 3
very seminal moments indeed that prove games can into art

*There are at least 150 dungeons
ah, so ten times the amount of prominent npcs and fifty times the amount of actual towns then? can I larp a fucking archaelogist because just like real life all the fun content is buried underground?

l3loodAngel

Proud INTJ
Patron
Edgy
Who cares about this shit? Really... Posts on Skyrym are only good to make fun of it...

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
I remember games where when you fought one vampire, you thought wow he is so powerful I would be screwed up.

Bethesda... hordes of vampires, have they actually killed someone in real? They'd know one dead body and police is really crazy, 50 dead bodies and some of them will starting to accept is as a norm.

Luzur

Good Sir
The dungeon's said to be easy, which should be a relief - my enduring memory of Morrowind is getting my arse lopped off and handed to me by a skeleton, in the very first cave I wandered into.

noob.

Well it sounds quite cool but I'm not expecting too much, it'll be like other Bethesda RPGs: fun for the ten first hours despite the derp and then terribly boring.

Black

Arcane
*There are at least 150 dungeons, Bethesda's Pete Hines has revealed.

They also revealed FO3 had over 200 endings. Bethesda cannot into maths.

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
Black said:
They also revealed FO3 had over 200 endings. Bethesda cannot into maths.

there are 15 dungeons, but with ten possible radiant quests for each, so there are really 150 dungeons

Micmu

Magister
but auto-attack bandits can still respawn with fur boots/daedric cuirass, fur/fur or daedric/daedric combo which means everything times three! They truly are the masters of infinite possibilities.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
micmu said:
but auto-attack bandits can still respawn with fur boots/daedric cuirass, fur/fur or daedric/daedric combo which means everything times three! They truly are the masters of infinite possibilities.

Unless you are claiming that Bethesda is a RNG God, give credit where credit is due.

deus101

Never LET ME into a tattoo parlor!
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
DragoFireheart said:
Looks like a AAA hiking simulator. All we need now is furry sex between a female Khajiit and a male Redguard.

modders will fix it...

sad part is....they will...they really really...WIlL!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom