Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The best RPG villain

DarthBehemoth

Learned
I figured, as we have a thread discussing sidekicks, we should have a go at the baddies too!

As for me well I enjoyed the master from Fallout.
the-master_288x288.jpg

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
3273209358_0d162d8895.jpg

Technically, TNO would count aswell (the previous incarnations putting stones in your path etc)

EDIT: Why we're at it, list all the games that let the villian say "H..How can this be?" or similar lines in the moment the PC beat him. :smug:

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
I like Shattered Lands's boss. Because it wasn't a boss but an army. The sorcerer king who gave them orders isn't even there, and why the fuck would he.

The Guardian is p. good though. Hard to beat an antagonist that constantly fucks with you and comments on what you're doing

Aldebaran

Erudite
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Anything voiced by Tony Jay.

Personally, I never liked the Master at all. He appeared essentially out of the blue and failed to hold my interest for the brief moment that he remained living. He really felt tacked on to me.

The Lieutenant was much more interesting. Also voiced by Tony Jay.

Irenicus receives an honourable mention for also having great VO work and for being the clear highlight of BG2.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
I like The Master, but it's mostly because of his extensive backstory and the way you put it together, rather than what you actually see of him.

Sheltem from Might and Magic is also a pretty good one, as is the Guardian if you excluse Ultima 9.

Not an RPG, but the Monolith from STALKER was a great non-living "villain" (especially if you go for one of the troll endings)

The Curse in MotB.

I'm probably gonna vote TTO, even though (or maybe because) he's an atypical "villain", because he's so well-written and SO well-voiced, and because his first appearance still gives me chills every time I see it.

Black

Arcane
C12Img10.gif

Pretty cliche I think, but so well done cliche.
Does anyone know who voiced him? Could never find the info on Wiz 8 voice actors.

The Curse in MotB.

Wouldn't MoTB's villain be Myrkul? He was good too.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
The poser Hekateras recently gave a full explanation of Makala's actions in Betrayal at Krondor, leading me to realize that he is indeed one of the finest villains ever created.

What kind of a man baits two kingdoms into war, tricks away one of the most powerful magicians, and sitrs up the Nighthawks against certain factions just to distract everybody in order to destroy a Valheru lifestone? An extremely dedicated and farsighted person, behaving like a metagamer planning out his entire build and playthrough in advance.

Aldebaran

Erudite
Patron
Fat Dragon said:
I couldn't help but like Sebastian LaCroix in Bloodlines. He did the smug eurofag executive act so well.

Yeah, Bloodlines is filled with great voice acting. I also like that the true antagonist of the game has very little screen time, but with all the foreshadowing, as well as Beckett's final line, the player pieces together that the Taxi Driver is Caine and the point of the game was to see whether or not you would survive his test.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
Aldebaran said:
Fat Dragon said:
I couldn't help but like Sebastian LaCroix in Bloodlines. He did the smug eurofag executive act so well.

I also like that the true antagonist of the game has very little screen time, but with all the foreshadowing, as well as Beckett's final line, the player pieces together that the Taxi Driver is Caine and the point of the game was to see whether or not you would survive his test.

Wait a minute, what? I've played through Bloodlines twice, 's already long time ago, but I can't remember that this happened in my game. :/

Broseidon

Educated
Deceit, pride, covetousness etc. from Ultima IV. Does that count as a villain?

Aldebaran

Erudite
Patron
Surf Solar said:
Aldebaran said:
Fat Dragon said:

I also like that the true antagonist of the game has very little screen time, but with all the foreshadowing, as well as Beckett's final line, the player pieces together that the Taxi Driver is Caine and the point of the game was to see whether or not you would survive his test.

Wait a minute, what? I've played through Bloodlines twice, 's already long time ago, but I can't remember that this happened in my game. :/

The player, not the player character has to piece it together. Remember all the foreshadowing about Caine? The paintings you desecrated, the loading screens that mention his return to judge vampires, the emergence of the thin bloods being a sign of the end of times, everyone sensing something terrible, Beckett actually running away from town once he finishes his research. Remember what was actually in the coffin was a handful of explosives.

We then see the closing cinematic of Jack on a lawn chair next to the clearly dead body which he took out of the sarcophagus. So all that foreshadowing had nothing to do with its contents at any point. Who is standing next to Jack and the mummy in the end?

The same Taxi Driver who just "recently entered town" during a time of recent signs of the apocalypse. Who says he is only here to ferry people to their destiny (or something to that effect). Who the game just happens to make you go through a long conversation with before you make your final decision on who to side with.

If you are present during the opening of the sarcophagus, and are blasted into oblivion, Jack laments something to the effect of, "Shame about the kid. Oh well, you can't win them all," as if this is not the first, or last time this will happen. The only person present that he could be speaking to is the Taxi Driver. Caine is coming to judge all vampires, remember.

After the tutorial in the beginning, Jack mentions that it is the politics that will kill you. He is about to mention something else, but then says that you will figure it out on your own.

I am sure I am forgetting some important clues as well.

I hope I am right, or else I will feel like a massive moron.

EDITED for numerous errors that I committed in my haste to recall as much as I could from my playthrough all those years ago.

EDIT 2: Just did a brief search. The Taxi Driver's MP3 files are evidently stored in a folder called Caine.

EDIT 3: Evidently in the books, Jack believes he has met Caine, but it is revealed that this was just a Malkavian who believes he is Caine. At least that is not as disappointing as the "official" account of the events of planescape torment.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
Very nice, I really didn't know that. Isn't there even some "apocalypse" happening in the old V:Masquerade Ruleset before they rehashed everything? This even in Bloodlines would tie in nicely with that.

anus_pounder

Arcane
What about the theory that the taxi driver is just a malk that thinks hes caine ? I've heard that one being thrown around just as much as 'he really is caine'. Though If i'm not mistaken, doesn't the malkavian PC have a dialogue option that also hints to the td = c towards the end of the game ?

And yes, La Croix was great. I had great pleasure in watching him fail to dominate the PC and get blown up.

Aldebaran

Erudite
Patron
anus_pounder said:
What about the theory that the taxi driver is just a malk that thinks hes caine ? I've heard that one being thrown around just as much as 'he really is caine'. Though If i'm not mistaken, doesn't the malkavian PC have a dialogue option that also hints to the td = c towards the end of the game ?

And yes, La Croix was great. I had great pleasure in watching him fail to dominate the PC and get blown up.

Yeah, I just stumbled onto that information. Within the game, it is clear that the developers weren't going for this angle (since it was written later), but this is the official PnP universe account.

The psychic on the beach evidently references ties between Jack and "the Father." I think it is clear that cab driver was intended to be Caine by the developers.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
I never understood what people liked about Irenicus. I just completed BGII a day ago and all he spilled were usual tropes like "omg I haz the powah" "you will never finish me off" or a similar line I already mentionend "H..how can this be, I am beaten??". He's some outcast who seeks revenge/ultimate power etc.. truely this was never done before!

Erebus

Arcane
The Practical Incarnation is a pretty good villain. He's both very evil and very smart ; he's done some horrible things, but they make sense for someone who has no empathy whatsoever ; throughout the game, we often follow his trail, which is both impressive and horrifying. He's really someone we can hate... and we have to accept the fact that he's us.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom