Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

So I was looking at Sorcerer's Place today...

DwarvenFood

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Dicksmoker said:
And Grunker, look at every other English word ending with a "q." Antique, boutique, opaque, etc...It's always a "k" sound.

So DraQ is an English word now ? Also, funny , the words you mention sound more like French.. so then.. Draque !

Kz3r0

Arcane
fizzelopeguss said:
Too many fuckwits from east european shittystans posting here. Bucktoothed asiatics flinging feces around once hallowed halls.
Gaider was persecuted by an English fag, a white one.

hanssolo

Educated
Does anyone actually think losing Gaider was a bad thing? I'm much more torn up that Tim Cain doesn't post anymore, but I guess he's too busy having hot gay sex all the time.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Yes, Gaider was a great poster who actually enjoyed some of the same games we did.

The fact that the kind of games he himself made were different is relatively trivial, I think. Big difference between personal taste in games and what games one develops for a livelihood.

Several staff members of BioWare on BioWare forums don't exactly consider themselves fans of their own games. I believe I have seen James Henley repeat a few times that the games BioWare makes is not BioWare's fault, but the general gaming audience's "fault", so to speak. He tried to be subtle about it, but he couldn't have been clearer.

ortucis

Prophet
On Codex we move RPG games (like Skyrim or Mass Effect) threads to General Gaming. Any developer would see it as a insult if a bunch of whining cunts tried to tell them what genre their own game is or how everything they do for living is worthless.

So yeah, no wonder every developer tries to stay away from Codex. Not surprised with BioWare and Bethesda taking action on trolls from Codex and blaming Codex for their woes even. Codex is always busy digging its own grave in the eyes of every developer out there.

Coyote

Arcane
Wyrmlord said:
DraQ

Dra Q

Drama Queen

Somewhere, a programmer is having a pint to celebrate the successful implementation of an autocomplete function into WyrmOS.

Andhaira

Arcane
I would really like for devs to start posting here again. Even Annie Carlson has left us.

It's all due to the racism prevalent here. Though that does give this place a rustic charm, it means we will never have big name (or small name) devs here. (except Vaultdweller, but then again he is a pro zionist Israeli lover so he doesn't count)

That sucks.

MCA
A lot changed in the industry between early 2000s and today. Developers became more corporate plants for one thing, with everything they say being tracked and getting warnings for "inappropriate behaviour" or lingo. Even BioWare and Bethesda devs are posting far less today in their own forums compared to 3, 5 and 8 years ago and those guys used to post very frequently. Their posts today are also way more wooden and devoid of personality than in the past.

Work loads also seem to have increased, content creation taking a lot more time between every game. Working hours might have stayed the same, became better or worsened; I don't know, but doing anything in the same amount of time today is a more involving process. I'm talking about development fatigue. I'm getting the impression that it's also substantially rising between each game.

Job security also seem to be getting eroded. Lay-offs getting more frequent and it becoming far riskier to draw attention to yourself as everybody is easily disposable.

As a result, we got developers who have much less time, much less freedom and employment security than in the past so they are becoming more selective regarding what they choose to say when, where and to whom.

Then again, Codex itself also increasingly lost an alternative intellectual edge by the way of features, reviews and interviews. Less original content, less attention, less relevant to devs open to discussion and sharing. Sadly, we're getting morons like Jools or toller-of-some-bells writing or suggesting juvenile shit in the most serious tone while the rest of us are happy doing nothing. Otherwise, Codex was always as hostile as today, though perhaps not as low-brow, ie. discriminative jokes and slangs have become increasingly more common which must be making it extra hard and "risky" to be associated with the Codex in the industry and repelling for common folk. Before, you could say "it's a hive of scum and villainy but they frequently have good pieces on RPGs and good discussion beyond the lynching mobs". That certainly has changed significantly but I still think that's the least contributing factor.

Devs simply don't post as often as they used to on the internets in general. Actually, I think the treatment Codex was getting back in the day was kind of unique in that way because even then, most devs sticked to their own forums and didn't actually have much of a continued presence in other forums. Codex was at the right place at the right time and benefited from it. Even when ex-Obsidian people dropped by a couple years ago, they have already quit / were laid off so they had the relative and the temporary freedom of doing so.

We can perhaps attract more attention and eventually be taken seriously through original content again but I don't believe we'll quite get the surge of developers frequenting yet again. Industry has moved on. Codex has moved on. Towards teh LULZ.

spacemoose

Erudite
Vault Dweller said:
Gaider left not because of Warden but because he was called fat piece of shit, told to shut up, called pathetic, retarded, and such. Most of it was in a thread that had nothing to do with games he worked on.
there is no avoiding the truth

also how did I miss that thread

That being said, we still get some new and fledgling developers stopping by from time to time. Ubik comes by pretty often (of Magna Mundi fame) and I believe the devs of King Arthur drop by occasionally too. I do agree we need more quality, original content (reviews and the like, maybe some retrospectives, etc.). I don't know if that requires people stepping up or the Codex encouraging it in some way.

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
Original content? How is the Codex content less original now than it was before? There's no difference.

MCA
spacemoose said:
Vault Dweller said:
Gaider left not because of Warden but because he was called fat piece of shit, told to shut up, called pathetic, retarded, and such. Most of it was in a thread that had nothing to do with games he worked on.

Indeed. DGaider is hardly the kind of person who could contribute anything by his presence. A pathetic, retarded fat piece of semi-literate shit who likes to be sucked up to and has absolutely no problem of talking down to people when things don't go his way. Except this is the Codex where you don't get the moderation shield you do at any other forum and if you can't take the heat, you GTFO the kitchen.

And GTFO he did. R00fles!

I think it's also worth thinking about the level of PR in the industry today and reactions it elicit in people and especially in the Codex. PR campaigns and the amount of bullshit spewed out has also increased dramatically in the last 10 years.

Everything we hold dear is being attacked at every opportunity. Turn-based? Why, it was only a technical limitation, you'd have to be a rabid asshole to even want that today! Times have moved on and so should we! Isometric? What's wrong with us that we can't appreciate how First-Person is the one true way every game should be? Dice-Rolls? Only a bunch of old farts who feel alienated by the new technologies cling to obsolete shit like dice-rolls. Role-Playing is about playing a Role, if you want dice-rolls, go play poker dice or something! We got all these remakes and when we're disappointed that it's yet another Call of Duty clone, WE are being unreasonable!

So if any developer is coming *here* of all places, to spew the same bullshit and thinks he can get away with talking down to us like that, he deserves everything people here can throw at him or her, including the most racist, sexist, misanthropic bile, sothey might as well not come here at all. And surprise surprise: they just don't. I have absolutely no problem with that. The less of their ilk, the better.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
villain of the story said:
spacemoose said:
Vault Dweller said:

Indeed. DGaider is hardly the kind of person who could contribute anything by his presence. A pathetic, retarded fat piece of semi-literate shit who likes to be sucked up to and has absolutely no problem of talking down to people when things don't go his way. Except this is the Codex where you don't get the moderation shield you do at any other forum and if you can't take the heat, you GTFO the kitchen.

And GTFO he did. R00fles!

I think it's also worth thinking about the level of PR in the industry today and reactions it elicit in people and especially in the Codex. PR campaigns and the amount of bullshit spewed out has also increased dramatically in the last 10 years.

Everything we hold dear is being attacked at every opportunity. Turn-based? Why, it was only a technical limitation, you'd have to be a rabid asshole to even want that today! Times have moved on and so should we! Isometric? What's wrong with us that we can't appreciate how First-Person is the one true way every game should be? Dice-Rolls? Only a bunch of old farts who feel alienated by the new technologies cling to obsolete shit like dice-rolls. Role-Playing is about playing a Role, if you want dice-rolls, go play poker dice or something! We got all these remakes and when we're disappointed that it's yet another Call of Duty clone, WE are being unreasonable!

So if any developer is coming *here* of all places, to spew the same bullshit and thinks he can get away with talking down to us like that, he deserves everything people here can throw at him or her, including the most racist, sexist, misanthropic bile, sothey might as well not come here at all. And surprise surprise: they just don't. I have absolutely no problem with that. The less of their ilk, the better.
Is this really how you seriously you take videogames?

That you have an entitlement complex as to what developers should or should not say?

laclongquan

Arcane
Mmmm. I agree with the above aggressive son of a bitch about all of that. It's not entitlement per se, but equality and justice.

I mean, I have no problem with anyone think FP and real time is the way of future. More targets to be under heavy arguments, after all. I do have problem with some thin skinned peeps who think just because they are game devs/writers/modders/whatever that their ideas can stand without challenge.

quasimodo

Augur

[/quote]

I have no desire to read anything written by these AAA action RPG developers.

Andhaira

Arcane
Why don't we pool our resources and hire some devs to make a game we want to play? Maybe we could even have it sell well to make a tidy profit?

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
villain of the story said:
LOL zero reading comprehension.
Lol zero ability to defend your points. I even gave you the benefit of the doubt. Are you going to explain now how the Codex content is less original than it was before or are you going to remain full of shit? The choice is yours.

MCA
Wyrmlord said:
Is this really how you seriously you take videogames?

That you have an entitlement complex as to what developers should or should not say?

As opposed to, say, the entitlement complex of the western man who sees it fit to dictate what we should and should not enjoy, ask or even want? Sorry, Wyrmie, I can not be as good an Uncle Tom as you so comfortably manage to be. And now I remember that I've ignored you with good reason. Back to being a [+] sign.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom