Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

DO NOT FUCKING BUY ANYTHING FROM GOG

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
9857dl.jpg

Wyrmlord said:
Topic derail:

One could dream that Betrayal at Krondor being marketed through GoG and retrogaming sites would have shot the game's popularity through the roof, caused new mods to be released for it (especially by Feist fans correcting the lore and adjusting/adding quests accordingly), and perhaps gotten Feist eager enough to support a new sequel or Krondor game in the exact style as Betrayal at Krondor.

Apart from this view being unrealistic on my part, what has happened is not even remotely close. People who have bought or played the game very recently seem to play no more than two to five minutes and give up, after not understanding how the interface works and not being able to find a manual with their download. They complain about the movement, and although that is easily fixed by tinkering with the options, it may have been better to get the settings adjusted already in package. And they probably seem to have played the awful floppy version with the rotating maps, instead of the CD version with the fixed map.

I am not blaming anybody for anything. I am just saying I wished some more people got to see a game that I really loved a lot. And I am really not one for the silly "Don't throw pearls at swine" argument.

What do you guys think?
I think people are just dumb if they have problems with the BaK interface. It's very intuitive, has huge icons, pretty pictures, equipment slots, lengthy descriptions...Just compare it to the other games of that time.

Their loss I guess...

made

Arcane
On the contrary. BUY MORE ABANDONWARE fom gog to finance Witcher sequels!

Satan

Educated
Excidium said:
I have to say it's funny how people on the Codex bitch about how terrible EA/Atari/Ubisoft/etc are, but happily buy their abandonware on GOG.

I wish people despised me to the point of giving me money...

I don't despise EA, Atari, Ubisoft or whatever. For example, just lately EA gave me Alice Madness Returns, Ubisoft gave me Anno1404, both are the best games of their kind IMO and I bought them happily, knowing I will support EA and Ubisoft.

I like them. They may make a lot of shit, but I don't care about turds, I just select gems.

Kz3r0

Arcane
BLOBERT said:
SO TRUE DOWN WITH THE MAN I WANT TO WEAR ALL BLACK

BRO IT IS SO TRUE THE WORLD WOULD BE BETTER IF EVERYTHING WAS FREE
Benito_Mussolini.jpg

WUT, UR DOIN' IT WRONG BRO!

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
I still prefer eBay. Of course I'm glad that other people buy on GOG.

Here is my GOG shelf:
4sfu5.png

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Excidium said:
I have to say it's funny how people on the Codex bitch about how terrible EA/Atari/Ubisoft/etc are, but happily buy their abandonware on GOG.
As much as cretins who feel the need to point out that "abandonware is not a legal term" or "there is no such thing as abandonware" deserve to be beaten into a bloody pulp, a game sold on GOG.com isn't abandonware. Maybe you're just pissed that GOG stole your justification for downloading games for free, but at least in some cases it means that the developer of a great game that isn't sold in stores anymore can get compensation for his work, and that's cool. I am happy to buy my games, and use illegal downloads purely for convenience.

Besides, there is a difference between complaining about a company's business practices and boycotting its products.

I wish people despised me to the point of giving me money...
Than make a game, bitch. Every time I started BF1942, I wanted to yell "YES IT IS A FUCKING GAME" at my monitor. I still loved the game. And the intro.

mugarod said:
Well I guess since prices are higher on several things, still I am not saying that they suck at earning money. I am saying not a lot of people buy old games.
Yeah, that's a shock.

Who do you expect to buy them? Spoiled brats with quad-core 8Gig gaming rigs running DX11 games at over 100FPS on max settings?
Or adult oldschool gamers who already bought most of those games when they first came out?

I for one am glad that not everyone is aiming at the largest possible market, although I am sure it's a growing market.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
made said:

If you like over-the-shoulder action games you might want to try the Xbox~ :M

mugarod

Liturgist
Project: Eternity
mugarod said:
Well I guess since prices are higher on several things, still I am not saying that they suck at earning money. I am saying not a lot of people buy old games.
Yeah, that's a shock.

Who do you expect to buy them? Spoiled brats with quad-core 8Gig gaming rigs running DX11 games at over 100FPS on max settings?
Or adult oldschool gamers who already bought most of those games when they first came out?

I for one am glad that not everyone is aiming at the largest possible market, although I am sure it's a growing market.[/quote]

I just wish more people would try older games, by those numbers it seems GoG's only market is people who used to play this games back in a day. I myself bought few games I not played before on Gog but I only bought the ones so far that were from a time when I just joined gaming. I am planning to buy some other classics later on. It still sucks that activision gets to sell more copies of their latest piece of shit shooter then a total ammount of Gog downloads of bunch older games, especially since the sales of most of those older games usually never reached a million themselves so there is a lot of people who havent seen any good games yet.

spectre

Arcane
Technically what the crackers do happens to be illegal anyway and if anybody has the rights to their labor, it's whoever holds the rights to the game. So, if a publisher wants to sell their game with a scene crack, the scene can suck it.
Say what? "Technically" there's no law against cracking, possessing and using cracks in most countries I know of.
Yeah, there is this EULA nonsense, but guess what, for all you know the publisher can write that they are entitled to fucking your hairy ass every two months and it still wouldn't be legally binding.

I always thought GoG to be bloody parasites, taking money for what was already available. Now, I know there are people out there who cannot be arsed to setup dosbox and google for manuals, and GoG may appeal to them.
What I don't get is the retarded thinking that it anything other than paying for a torrent, like, yeah now that you have paid monies it's actually all right. Clear conscience and all.

Fuck that, If the money I pay has zero chance to benefit the devs in any way (yeah, it kinda never does unless they're indies using paypal, but you get the drift), I ain't coughing up.

Bruticis

You can justify stealing shit all you want, I don't give a flying fuck what you do. Seriously, steal everything, I don't care and it doesn't affect me in the slightest. What's annoying is the constant, bros im so bad ass and cool I steal shit all the time, oh and lol, bros im high right now while i post this, hahaha, lol, lol......

made

Arcane
Metro said:
made said:

If you like over-the-shoulder action games you might want to try the Xbox~ :M
If only enough people buy abandonware from GOG it will send a message to CDPR and they'll make the next Witcher turn-based and isometric.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
668298-DFQENE7.jpg

The Codex potato crew manipulated me into it.
Claw said:
Excidium said:
As much as cretins who feel the need to point out that "abandonware is not a legal term" or "there is no such thing as abandonware" deserve to be beaten into a bloody pulp, a game sold on GOG.com isn't abandonware. Maybe you're just pissed that GOG stole your justification for downloading games for free, but at least in some cases it means that the developer of a great game that isn't sold in stores anymore can get compensation for his work, and that's cool. I am happy to buy my games, and use illegal downloads purely for convenience.
The thing is, the only reason to buy something that is readily available for free is to support the people that worked on the product but in most cases the developers don't get a single penny from gog sales.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
I think Steam is much worse than GoG. The pricing policy (€=$), the spam with shitty indie games and the hidden DRM. At least GoG is selling whatever was good at some point in time, where Steam is just a growing pile of shit.
As for the edgy people, GoG still has to pay royalties to the rights owners of the IPs, cause the current catalog is not abandonware. At least, not yet.
http://www.gamepro.com/article/features ... e-started/
The games we are dealing with are old, older, or very old, so quite often the rights are no longer with a publisher, and revert back to the original creators. We then have the opportunity to do business directly with the original developers, and we try to use that opportunity to get additional (straight from the attic) materials, conduct an interview or retrospective, etc… but most of all it's always a great thing to talk to the creative talent behind hits like MDK, Earthworm Jim​ or Broken Sword.

Of course, this could be just corporate bullshit and the original developers don't see shit. But nobody sued GoG yet, so he might say the truth :)

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Fallout is 5.99$ on GoG.

Maybe I expressed myself in a wrong way. I didn't want to say that there are no good old games on Steam. I wanted to say that even these games are buried in a see of shitty indie titles. I don't know what quality requirements are for Steam, but my impression is that lately they are selling shit in jars.

Cassidy

Arcane
If OP ever bought any DRM-infested shitty hipster indie game from Steam, here is the thread's rating:

:retarded: :retarded: :retarded: :retarded: :retarded: out of :retarded: :retarded: :retarded: :retarded: :retarded:

Otherwise take three less points from the rating.

Although whenever possible, I prefer buying boxed editions of games I expect to be worth it, besides GamersGate, GMG(For the second and third, in their products that don't come with surprise Steam DRM, of course") and maybe another one I have yet to hear about that doesn't force permanent Internet connection for you to play a game in single-player nor the installation and constant running of questionable client softwares on the background, GoG is the only digital distribution service I'd consider buying from. I remember I changed my decision about HL2 from buying it legit to not removing a DRM-free version of it from an inventory when the Steam DRM with mandatory Internet was announced back then.

Fallout is 5.99$ on GoG.

Will the cut go to the original developers or to Bethesda? I think this question is very important too, and I'm afraid the answer is the latter.

Micmu

Magister
Cassidy said:
Will the cut go to the original developers or to Bethesda? I think this question is very important too, and I'm afraid the answer is the latter.
Most of it would go to business fucks at GaG, the rest definitely not to original developers who were actually making the game. They were employees once. Now they're not. Not even companies themselves exist and IP is at someone else who had nothing to do with the game, just bought the IP as companies died, and who now gets all the cut. Such is business with IP rights.
If anyone gets the money, it's either HervePlay or Betshitsda. Who is worse and why?

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Cassidy said:
Fallout is 5.99$ on GoG.

The money went to Interplay -> Herve.
Cause Interplay still has the rights to F1, F2 and FT. This is common knowledge by now.
But who cares. Even when they were released, the money still went to Herve.

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Excidium said:
The thing is, the only reason to buy something that is readily available for free is to support the people that worked on the product but in most cases the developers don't get a single penny from gog sales.
Unlike with piracy, where in all cases the developers don't get a single penny. I understand GoG.com has an agreement with Jochen Hamma, one of the founders of attic for instance. So if you buy a Realms of Arkania game on GoG, he gets a cut. If you pirate it, he gets nothing.

Besides, I do have a small hope that publishers see the value in classic titles and in the oldschool market. Not if oldschool gamers prefer to pirate all the games though, calling them abandonware even when it's apparent that the ware is not truly abandoned.

Multi-headed Cow said:
toro said:
At least GoG is selling whatever was good at some point in time, where Steam is just a growing pile of shit.
http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/master_of_orion_3
http://store.steampowered.com/app/38400/
Interestingly, Fallout isn't marked as Low-Violence in Steam, even though it used to be sold as cut version in Germany.

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
Fuck that, If the money I pay has zero chance to benefit the devs in any way (yeah, it kinda never does unless they're indies using paypal, but you get the drift), I ain't coughing up.

BROS THIS IS THE DEFINITION OF THE BRIANLESS PIRATE I HAVE POSTED ABOT BEFOR

IF YOU WANT FREE SHIT JST SAY SO DONT MAKE A WHINY CRYING TEENAGE GIRL JUSTIFICATION TOO BAD MY BRO SKYWAY CRIES LIKE A LITTLE GIRL ON THIS ISSUE TOO

BROS EVERYONE LIKES FREE SHIT BT THE WHOLE CRUSADER FOR FREEDOM ACT MAKES YOU LOOK LIKE A CUNT

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom