Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Be a Part of Distant Worlds: Legends

Jason

chasing a bee
<strong>[ Announcement ]</strong>

It's time for a new <a href="http://www.matrixgames.com/news/836/Distant.Worlds..Legends.Announced.and.were.looking.for.a.Space.Creature!" target="_blank"><strong>Distant Worlds expansion</strong></a> and creature contest.
<blockquote>Matrix Games (www.matrixgames.com), Slitherine (www.slitherine.com) and Code Force (www.codeforce.co.nz) are thrilled to announce Distant Worlds &ndash; Legends.  Currently in final testing and expected to release by November, Distant Worlds &ndash; Legends is the second expansion to the widely acclaimed space strategy game, Distant Worlds.  Distant Worlds &ndash; Legends is packed with exciting new features and improvements, including a brand new character system with skills, traits and advancements based on each character&rsquo;s actions.  Gameplay has been greatly expanded for each race wiith new race-specific events and victory conditions, a new system for borders and spheres of influence, an expanded tech tree with new weapons, facilities and wonders, improved AI, improved diplomacy including mining and refueling rights, greatly improved fleet management, new main map overlays to show ship routes and fleet postures, improved mod support, and more!

Also announced today is the new creature contest for Distant Worlds &ndash; Legends.  As part of the release, a new space creature will be included in the Distant Worlds universe, joining the likes of the Kaltor, Ardilus and Sand Slug.  This time, we&rsquo;re giving you a chance to add your signature to Distant Worlds by submitting your idea for a new space creature!  For full contest rules, please <a href="http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2914735" target="_blank">see this post</a> in our forums.  You have two weeks before the winner is chosen, and the winner will receive a free copy of the entire Distant Worlds series and an in-game credit for their creature contribution!
</blockquote>

Raapys

Arcane
Awesome, should make a great game even better. A couple of more expansions like this and it could quite possibly end up the best 4x game ever, at least if they decide to finally implement proper mod support instead of just being able to replace graphical assets.

DakaSha

Arcane
stfu its terrible, buggy, unplayable and the 'expansions' 'fix' things that should have been fixed in the first month after release. This is honestly my worst purchase ever (although thats due to the price.. 60 dollars for an unplayable mess of a (Base!) game. Its not the worst game ever.. its just incredibly overpriced)

Do not buy unless you easily fall for the 'its an independent company so bugs are to be expected!' bullshit.

Its not only bugs either.. the game is incredibly fun until you notice how tedious it is to play unless you allow the computer to take over shit in which case it feels like you are watching the game be played by an imbecile. The fact that the whole economy was changed MULTIPLE times in the time after release (and ended up failing every single time) shows they have no clue wtf they are doing.
It runs like shit. UI is shit. Gameplay is much more shallow then you are lead to believe. AI is utterly moronic (unless they did something about it). Startup options lead you to believe so much is possible until you notice that 'Starting as a new race in an already thriving galactic community' just means u are starting out surrounded by much larger empires..Also not that it matters but it has the WORST INTRO I HAVE EVER SEEN (again who cares.. but its so bad it had to be mentioned)

Torrent it. u may find some enjoyment. Maybe the expansions make it better. i sure as fuck wasnt gonna dish out to try after the base game.

now since fanboys will be fanboys all i do is say to go over to matrix.. look for the distant worlds forum.. look for the technical support sub forum.. read threads. Note that these threads do not include people who are unable to spot actual problems in the game (many players think things are working the way they should because thats how it is with 98% of products u buy for $60).

The game has shitloads of potential but ive given up on it ever becoming either playable or really good for that matter. this potential is what blinds fanboys into thinking its actually a good game.
Like i said: much better to torrent. Or just win the competition.

If the expansions actually better the game.. then my bad i guess.. I dont really care after paying that much and seeing what a sack of shit it was though. Also the matrix company and employees are utter dipshits.. so id torrent it anyways.. if it was worth it.

DakaSha

Arcane
lol i didnt even look before telling you to go there but look:

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tt.asp?forumid=792

First one on the list: Constant lock up well into game.
Then shitloads more about lockups, stuttering, crashes etc.
This game is over 1 1/2 years old with an expansion and it cost 60 bucks + whatever the expansion costs. I dont give a fuck if its an independent company. If a small kiosk hands me a fucking rotten kebab i SUE THE FUCKER

DakaSha

Arcane
yeah i always laugh so hard about that shit. but matrix says that about ANYTHING. seriously i hate that company so bad (if its not obvious :P)

Marobug

This game is one huge piece of shit and this expansion obviously won't save it.
Matrix games have a few interesting games, but this one and armada are made for people with craptastic pcs and dumb people who can't run classic 4x with dosbox.
If you are going to make something in 2011 that looks like it came from the 90's at least make it so it's at the very least equivalent to the classics and don't slap a 60$ price tag on it.

Angelo85

Arcane
Patron
I had fun with it to a point where I even recommended it. On the other hand, I only acquired the game. Don't know if I had recommended it if I had known the price is 60$.

Btw. are we talking US$ or AUS$? Because in Euro the price is 32.- which converted would be about 43.50 US$

Raapys

Arcane
I can understand the hate regarding poor support and whatnot, but against the game itself? It's one of the best 4x games out there, easily rivaling the classics. If you haven't tried it with the expansion yet, do yourself a favor and pirate that expansion and the latest patch. The research system is completely redone and actually good this time around, the UI is significantly better, the AI is less stupid( though still not that much of a challenge for an experienced player), and there are various other new features, changes and improvements across the board. Personally I don't have any technical problems, with the exception of slow-downs because of the graphical system and no multi-core support. To me it doesn't get bad enough to be game breaking though.

I love MoO1&2&3 and SE4, I even like Imperium Galactica and many of the other old 4x games, but if this game keeps getting quality expansions I think it'll soon surpass all of them. At the very least it beats the crap out of the other non-indie wannabes( Galciv, SotS, SoaSE, etc.).

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
It definitely is the best 4x to come out in years, and much less buggy than, say, the latest Space Empires entry. The first expansion makes research infinitely better than vanilla, and I'm looking forward to this expansion.

It's a solid game overall that becomes tedious to micro after a while (especially due to RTWP), but it's the best space 4X in a long while, and space 4X is a starved genre where most new entries have one or two good features but lack in others. DW has no one special awesome feature, but is fun overall and not lacking in a crucial part of gameplay.

YourConscience

Scholar
JarlFrank said:
It definitely is the best 4x to come out in years, and much less buggy than, say, the latest Space Empires entry. The first expansion makes research infinitely better than vanilla, and I'm looking forward to this expansion.

It's a solid game overall that becomes tedious to micro after a while (especially due to RTWP), but it's the best space 4X in a long while, and space 4X is a starved genre where most new entries have one or two good features but lack in others. DW has no one special awesome feature, but is fun overall and not lacking in a crucial part of gameplay.

I fully agree here. The hate against the game is entirely irrational.

Raapys

Arcane
JarlFrank said:
DW has no one special awesome feature, but is fun overall and not lacking in a crucial part of gameplay.

It does have a pretty awesome exploration feature though. Don't think there's any game where you can gain more by exploring stuff than in DW. The civilian sector feature, though by no means ground-breaking, also adds a nice flavor that almost all other 4x games lack. It even allows new tactics, since an empire will break to a halt without resource transportation. Unfortunately it might have been better suited for a multiplayer game, since the AI isn't really capable of taking advantage of such tactics.

Country_Gravy

Arcane
Patron
Wasteland 2
This game is great but I agree that it is overpriced. $35 for the first expansion? I would pay $20 for it. It looks like the last update gave everything in the expansion except for the two new races and the new storyline. The interface seems to be upgraded for free. I haven't played this in a while but I plan on firing it up this evening.

Raapys

Arcane
Isn't it missing the most important change, namely the tech tree? That one alone completely changes the base game. Probably also didn't patch in fighters.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom